Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 02:19 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
There will be very few people that wont admit that Zimmerman shouldve held back.

Maybe so, but not in the four threads we've had so far.

HOWEVER, we still dont have all the facts. We still dont know exactly what happened. Did he turn back and head back to his car or not?

Going by the cell phone timeline, there just wasn't time for much hiding in wait to attack Zimmerman, nor for Zimmerman to have made it from behind the townhouses back to his truck.

And let's remember something. The touting and cheerleading of this being "race" related by the media and celebs has been pathetic, disgraceful, and more importantly FALSE from what we know so far.

There has been more truth reported than some are willing to credit. Calling for a fair and impartial investigation is far less disgraceful than some of the things which have been said about Trayvon here at C-D. Search the threads for a lengthy post made to me about living in Sanford by seogorilla; "justice" in small towns, especially those with a history of racism, is about who you know and not neceessarily the facts. In the first thread, one of the earliest posts said of Trayvon's death, "Good. That's one less thug we'll have to pay to be incarcerated." That's where you'll find something "pathetic, disgraceful and FALSE."

Perhaps we may now even just not believe much of what the media says and wait for offical investigation to be done in florida.

That will take some time; people are still free to try and make some sense
of what happened that night. Meanwhile, the Zimmermans have had ample time to muddy the waters with interviews that have contained some outright lies and distortions. Trayvon's parents have done nothing but call for a fair and impartial investigation, yet Zimmerman's father had air time to lay out their defense. That interview was filled with inconsistencies.

I do wish they hurry up down there but at this point, I still dont want them to rush it. I want them to get it as right as they can. Seems to me if it's taking this long, they may not have that strong of a case. We will see.
Since there is now a Special Prosecutor along with FBI and DOJ investigations, it will be some time before we hear official findings. IMHO, the fact that it's taking so long is an indication that Zimmerman's story isn't holding up under scrutiny, and Trayvon is not here to tell his side of the story. Like you, I would hope for a thorough investigation as opposed to a rush to judgment. My prayer is that, when all is said and done, there will be some kind of grace from God that will enlighten and heal the country. As you say, we'll see.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:23 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
So if he was never arrested, why was he in handcuffs at the station?
I've been handcuffed and not arrested. The officer told me "You are not being arrested, you are being detained. Do you understand?" Once they were done with what they were doing, they took the cuffs off and let me go.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:30 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I was listening to Joe Madison last week and a caller called in and said what you said. Joe rightfully read him the riot act. This is merely speculation on your part and there is no basis for it. How can a Virginia magistrate have any influence in Florida? Do you really think folks are going to put their careers on the line for ZImmerman's dad?
Then I guess this man is just lucky. Honestly, I can't imagine just anyone punching a law enforcement officer, yelling profanity and getting off so easily. He had two 3rd felony charges filed against him and they were dismissed. I also don't know why he went to court to fight traffic violations that most of us just pay. In each case the "officer failed to appear" Is this common? I asked this before, since I don't know. I've only gotten 2 minor traffic tickets in Florida and paid both of them without going to court.

I will stop dwelling on this, but when people say that a man who has 2 parents involved in the court system for over 20 years, one who served on the VA Supreme Court as a Magistrate, can't have ties in Florida, I feel the need to respond. Just an obsession of mine, I suppose.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:32 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
IMHO, the fact that it's taking so long is an indication that Zimmerman's story isn't holding up under scrutiny,
Which raises the question as to why the special prosecutor Angela Corey has chosen to not convene a grand jury. I can't imagine for the life of me why a prosecuting attorney would forego the political cover that a grand jury can provide unless the case was moving forward. Now she asks people not to read anything into her decision but I can't help but believe that is just good media spin because their is a great deal to read into such a decision.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:36 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Honestly, I can't imagine just anyone punching a law enforcement officer, yelling profanity and getting off so easily. He had two 3rd felony charges filed against him and they were dismissed.
The charges weren't exactly dispensed he had to participate in a diversion program (anger management counseling etc) which is for first time offenders.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:38 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
probably because of this?:

see above, and you might want to do something about your insect problem

Right, uggabugga...we all know that every gun in America is purchased legally, and that 100% of gun owners are diligent in keeping them safely locked away and out of the reach of children. Where did Eric Harris and
Dylan Klebold get their high-tech weapons and ammo? Why was George
Zimmerman allowed to own a firearm after attacking an undercover police officer...and a woman at that? The crickets are still chirping, but there's one less in the choir.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:40 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
This is what I cannot stand about posters on this board. There is no reason for this type of name calling. Many people do not watch youtube videos. The transcripts of the 911 calls don't indicate the gender of the dispatcher. I listened to the 911 call directly from the Sanford Police site, so I knew he was a male, but many people don't have the time to watch TV or spend hours online. In any case, it must make certain bullies feel good about themselves when they use words like idiot, moron, ignorant, stupid.

By the way, simetime is in good company. You called me a moron and I'm pretty smart!
What name calling? I said "ignorance". That's the word for it. If you want to go on a rant, you should make sure it doesn't show that you haven't even taken the time to look up the facts of the case, and are just repeating what you heard. Knowledge is power. I have no vested interest in this case. If Zimmerman is guilty of a crime, lock his ass up. If he acted in self defense, let him go. If the fact that I haven't rushed to judgement and condemned Zimmerman with the rest of the lynch mob makes me an a-hole, so be it. I judge on the evidence I've seen so far. If more evidence comes out, I reserve the right to change my position. As of now, I don't know what happened and don't pretend to, all I have is a plethora of possible scenarios of what went down. The prosecutor, FBI and DOJ have all of the evidence. I have confidence that justice will be done despite the influence of the public and media.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needTXinfo View Post
Because, y'know, he actually looks at people and sees whether he recognizes them as living in the neighborhood?
Let's say you are 100% correct. Does this give him a reason to follow and pursue that person on foot while carrying a gun? No.

God forbid I should get lost when visiting a friend in a gated community. Oh, I forgot, I'm an old White woman. Nobody is going to question me. Phew!

Old 04-09-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
What name calling? I said "ignorance".
No, as I wrote in my post, you called me a moron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
I guess if you're a complete moron who thinks Zimmerman came around the corner with gun drawn, ready to gun down Trayvon for looking suspicious, then that would actually make sense.
Why are you only reading & responding to the posts that disagree with some of your assumptions? I've posted several times that I'm not sure there's enough evidence based on current Florida law. Still, that doesn't mean I believe Zimmerman's story and why he was released so quickly. I hope if he is arrested he gets a fair trial based on the evidence, not emotion. I hope people realize investigations take a lot of time.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:48 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Pardon me for intruding a moment with something that was probably discussed long ago, but a mod just shut down the thread in the Orlando subforum, so I wanted Boxus and anyone else from there to realize that Zimmerman DID claim a broken nose, and yet didn't have one: Florida medical chief casts doubt on Zimmerman's 'broken nose' claim (http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/local/florida-medical-chief-casts-doubt-on-zimmerman's-'broken-nose'-claim-040312 - broken link)

OK, back to the current discussion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies