Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 12:21 AM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
Trayvon was the violent thug that night as confirmed by eye witmess and supported by other facts such as the fact that he could have easily run away yet chose to attack Zimmerman instead.
Sources besides White Power websites.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:24 AM

744 posts, read 812,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
Sources besides White Power websites.
Sources for what exactly? Here is the eye witness, I'm sure you've see the video by now. I don't read 'White power' websites

Trayvon Martin Attacked George Zimmerman According to Sanford Police Witness - YouTube

Old 04-05-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Sources for what exactly? Here is the eye witness, I'm sure you've see the video by now. I don't read 'White power' websites

Trayvon Martin Attacked George Zimmerman According to Sanford Police Witness - YouTube
The eye witness says that he saw them fighting, didn't say anything about who attacked who or who provoked the fight or who is a thug.

Comprehension problem is a serious problem in the USA.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:48 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
You know, there was a time in my life when I feared no man. Now I am older and I break easily. This 17 year old "child" could easily kill me without any weapon and I am not ready to die at the hands of a 17 year old "child". He was bigger than me and probably much stronger. His bones aren't brittle and he has reflexes that I no longer have. Whereas I don't know what happened, I can understand being fearful of a 17 year old. I honestly can not say that I would not have also shot him. I wouldn't have followed him, but at the same time, if confronted, I might well have taken the same action against him.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
You know, there was a time in my life when I feared no man. Now I am older and I break easily. This 17 year old "child" could easily kill me without any weapon and I am not ready to die at the hands of a 17 year old "child". He was bigger than me and probably much stronger. His bones aren't brittle and he has reflexes that I no longer have. Whereas I don't know what happened, I can understand being fearful of a 17 year old. I honestly can not say that I would not have also shot him. I wouldn't have followed him, but at the same time, if confronted, I might well have taken the same action against him.
If Trayvon could easily kill you with his bare hands, then you do need a gun.

Judging from the info I have about Trayvon, I'm confident I could take him, and I'm not even a fighter.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:59 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
Quote:
If Trayvon could easily kill you with his bare hands, then you do need a gun.

Judging from the info I have about Trayvon, I'm confident I could take him, and I'm not even a fighter.
I do have one and I do carry it...

Old 04-05-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I do have one and I do carry it...
if 140lb 17 year olds could take me, I'd probably carry one too

Old 04-05-2012, 01:09 AM

744 posts, read 812,097 times
Quote:
if 140lb 17 year olds could take me, I'd probably carry one too
Cool story bro, he was a 6'3 football player and at least 170 according to reports, get your facts straight.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Cool story bro, he was a 6'3 football player and at least 170 according to reports, get your facts straight.
According to reports he was 140lbs. I heard he was 6 feet, but 6'3 and 140llbs is a bean pole, hardly intimidating by any means. Now if he was 240lbs, that's a different story.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:38 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I'll go with CBS on this, but if you think they're wrong, call them and see if you can get them to retract their statement.
Theres a big difference between an arrest and a conviction anyway. The FACT is had he been a convicted of domestic violence or anything similar he would not have had a permit to carry. But regardless nothing in his past has much to do with that night.

Quote:
Again, why are you so focused on "correcting facts" in favor of Zimmerman but not Trayvon? You are far from objective. Personally, I never claimed to be...I not pretending to be objective while cheerleading for one side only. As a mother, and a human, as someone who does not take the death of an unarmed teenage boy walking back from a convenience store lightly, as someone who is empathetic and feels for his parents, his family and everyone that loves him and as someone who is saddened by the fact that he will not get to become an adult and that his life ended prematurely when it did not have to, I am for justice for Trayvon and have no problem saying so. Unlike those who want Zimmerman to walk, no questions asked but claim to be objective.
I know this wasnt directed at me, but I feel I'm being objective. I have two boys and can certainly sympathize with Trayvons parents. But I'm also a home owner in a neighborhood where people get robbed. Personally I'v had vehicles broken into several times in my yard & things stolen from my porch. If I see a strange person, young or old, black or white, walking on my street at night in the rain and feel like watching him I will, if I feel like walking down the street to see whats up I will. The way I see it, the way any impartial rational person should see it, is I have as much right to be on the street as anyone else. My presence on a street after dark in the rain is NO justification for an assault on my person, if I engage that person in dialog its still no justification for an assault. You guys seem to think that because this Zimmerman decided to follow Trayvon he deserved to be attacked? You think that because he confronted him, which by the way is suggested by nothing we have seen on the episode yet, but you think that if he confronted him that was reason for attack? Yet being attacked was not justification for Zimmerman to defend himself? Seems absurd, its ok to jump somebody for being behind you at night on a public street, and its ok to attack somebody because they asked you a question, but its not ok to respond to a violent attack with violence.

What I took away from this & told my sons was dont put yourself in such a position if you can help it, if you find yourself in such a position act intelligently. If an adult asks you what your up to just say I'm coming home from the store, if you are afraid dial 911, if you really think somethings going on get out of there. This young man did none of these common sense things. When he first saw Zimmerman on the phone watching him he could have simply said "Can I help you" and difused the situation, instead he ran. He could have kept running & gotten away, instead he either laid in wait or came back. He could have called 911, but instead he attacked a concerened citizen.

Mistakes were made by both of them. But at the end of the day I cant feel Zimmerman was wrong for defending himself once attacked. At that point everything that went on before is pretty irrelevant. What matters is how the fight itself actually started. Since Zimmerman had a gun it doesnt make sense that he would have attacked Trayvon, if anything he would have held him at gun point and Trayvon would have probably complied. Had that went on I'd say Zimmerman was definately wrong. But the fact is Zimmerman was being beaten by Trayvon and defended himself. I feel very safe saying thats what went on simply because the police let him go.
Its been a very long time since people were not charged for killing a black person simply because they were white, which is what the entire premise of Zimmermans guilt despite being released from custody is based on, and he's not even white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies