Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 11:37 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,897,156 times

Advertisements

Not taking the case to the Grand Jury doesn't mean anything. The Grand Jury would have definitly found enough evidence to send the case to trial. Any lawyer or cop will tell you that you can indict a ham sandwich. In other words, an indictment was a given. Remember all an indictment is is a charging document.

Will Zimmerman be arrested? If he is arrested and charged, he'll likely never see the inside of a courtroom. Any decent attorney will go over the evidence and the way in which the evidence was handled very methodically and very carefully. It sounds like the local cops really botched the initial investigation. I have little doubt that an attorney could find several mistakes made by the officers. A good attorney will have that case thrown out before the ink is dry on the indictment.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:38 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,874,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
People just need to prepare for the crap hitting the fan if they announce that Zimmerman won't be charged. Stupid racists are going to be looking for innocent whites, who had nothing at all to do with this incident, and get their "justice".
Many of us have been prepared to deliver justice to these idiots for a long time, let's hope they just burn their own neighborhoods down like they normally do.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:47 AM

29 posts, read 26,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Many of us have been prepared to deliver justice to these idiots for a long time, let's hope they just burn their own neighborhoods down like they normally do.

... and then complain that businesses won't open in their neighborhood because they are racist. The businesses that do take a chance have to charge extra-high prices just to cover their theft losses and insurance premiums.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:47 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,111,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The City Manager who the police chief reports to IS BLACK.
But not the police chief who was in the job when Trayvon was shot.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:49 AM

29 posts, read 26,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
But not the police chief who was in the job when Trayvon was shot.

None of this matters since the police were only involved to clean up the mess. This was handled at the grassroots.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:52 AM

6,456 posts, read 7,033,704 times
At this point this is pretty much a closed case. I honestly believe that they are keeping the investigation open just until the protest loses some steam to lessen the damage.

If there was something to charge him over, they would have done it by now. This isn't a very complicated case involving a bulletin board with Mob figures; this is a one night incident. All the facts have been put on the table and rearranged 100 or more times. Unless someone steps forward to negate Zimmerman's testimony--he will walk on this. Right now, the only thing he has to worry about is a possible Civil law suite.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:53 AM

179 posts, read 157,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
Not taking the case to the Grand Jury doesn't mean anything. The Grand Jury would have definitly found enough evidence to send the case to trial. Any lawyer or cop will tell you that you can indict a ham sandwich. In other words, an indictment was a given. Remember all an indictment is is a charging document.

Will Zimmerman be arrested? If he is arrested and charged, he'll likely never see the inside of a courtroom. Any decent attorney will go over the evidence and the way in which the evidence was handled very methodically and very carefully. It sounds like the local cops really botched the initial investigation. I have little doubt that an attorney could find several mistakes made by the officers. A good attorney will have that case thrown out before the ink is dry on the indictment.
This is just wrong. Self defense is not an affirmative defense in florida - you need probable cause it wasn't self defense to get an indictment - that's a pretty stiff barrier to cross.

And in my state, Texas, people are no-billed (meaning there is no indictment) by grand juries all the time.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
At this point is pretty much a closed case. I honestly believe that they keeping the investigation open just so that the protest to loses some steam to lessen the damage.

If there was something to charge him over, they would have done it by now. This isn't a very complicated case involving a bulletin board with Mob figures; this is a one night incident. All the facts have been put on the table and rearragned 100 or more times. Unless someone steps forward to negate Zimmerman's testimony--he will walk on this. Right now, the only thing he has to worry about is a possible Civil law suite.
This was EXACTLY my initial reaction. They're hoping it dies out.

Zimmerman, I believe, is protected against civil suit under FL law b/c he was justified under their self defense statute. They'll probably go after HOA for the neighborhood watch program.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:58 AM

6,456 posts, read 7,033,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needTXinfo View Post
This was EXACTLY my initial reaction. They're hoping it dies out.

Zimmerman, I believe, is protected against civil suite under FL law b/c he was justified under their self defense statute. They'll probably go after HOA for the neighborhood watch program.
Yeah I read about the HOA suite that they are looking at, which I think is wrong. In my opinion it is a very long reach, but doable. Suing the HOA neighborhood watch program is sort of like suing the pool company because someone drowned in your backyard.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Yeah I read about the HOA suite that they are looking at, which I think is wrong. In my opinion it is a very long reach, but doable. Suing the HOA neighborhood watch program is sort of like suing the pool company because someone drowned in your backyard.
Yah I agree. It's not like they paid him - it was a volunteer thing. So there's not employer responsibility (I think). And he wasn't on "official" duty - he was making a run to the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies