Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:32 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,136,207 times

Advertisements

...and what stance did you originally take?

I first demonstrated interest when Bush ran against Clinton in 1992. I supported Bush because my father did. After Clinton took office he became very vocal about the evils of the Democratic Party, particularly how they wanted to take his guns away, ban him from riding snowmobiles and muscle cars, levy insane taxes on him and give all his hard-earned money to lazy welfare slobs (his words). I remember him always listening to Rush Limbaugh and local conservative talk radio shows. Naturally, I became a rather vocal Republican myself, until I was about 11, when I underwent a Catholic religious "awakening" and became critical of his views on the death penalty, race relations (he was never a real "racist", but he despised the young black "gangsta" culture) and social justice issues. Interestingly he was rather libertarian about some social issues (he voted for Coleman for the MN governor race in 1998, although was happy that Ventura won), although I think he changed somewhat there upon his conversion to Catholicism in 2002. The Iraq War really caused a split between me and him, as well as his habit of buying ever-larger SUVs (though that revolved at least equally around aesthetics).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 08:41 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,607,390 times
I got interested somewhat during the Clarence Thomas/Anita Hill hearings. I was apolitical at the time apparently because I was supporting Thomas though I had sympathy for Anita Hill. I didn't know the political affiliation of any Senators at that time.

Then I really got interested during the 1992 presidential election. I wanted to study up on why Governor Bill Clinton was always on the tv and why everyone was beating up on the guy. I didn't vote for him though because I thought he and Gore were too good looking to be in office (silly, I know ). I voted for Bush and then when he didn't win, I just shrugged it off and thought...well maybe another time. I did vote Clinton for his second term and have voted for Democrats (presidential elections) ever since.

Last edited by fitzy24; 04-12-2012 at 10:07 PM..

Old 04-12-2012, 08:58 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,612,839 times
When I voted for Reagan in the grade school mock presidential election. Thanks to this forum, I now realize that I and my fellow students were being subjected to indoctrination.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:26 PM

30,279 posts, read 23,766,127 times
When I realized that one parent was Democrat, voting for Carter and the other was Republican, voting for Reagan. I was way too young to fully understand politics at the time but I got interested. And the more I studied, the more I realized one parent was "right".

I have been a registered Republican since the first day I could vote.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:37 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,864,494 times
I became interested in politics when Clintin was elected for his second term. I immediately change my party affiliation and have been a republican ever since. I never voted democrat anyway. Probably would have voted for Kennedy, but he died befire I was 21. The Tea Party helped me realize what was happening to our country and it is up to "We the People" to do something about it. It is a good feeling to know that one vote Does make a difference. Sign petitions and get involved!

God Bless America and Deliver us from obamacare!

Old 04-12-2012, 10:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
I became interested in politics during the 1960 Kennedy/Nixon election. I was in 6th grade and voted for Nixon. Yikes!

My dad was a councilman in our little community for many years, so politics was frequently a topic of discussion in our house.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:07 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,400,054 times
I became interested during the 2000 election. It was kind of fun that it was so close, and it was exciting to watch all the folks in Florida trying to figure out what happened. After that Bush did a pretty good job of making me a Democrat in his first term and I have been one ever since.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:17 AM

11 posts, read 11,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I became interested during the 2000 election. It was kind of fun that it was so close, and it was exciting to watch all the folks in Florida trying to figure out what happened. After that Bush did a pretty good job of making me a Democrat in his first term and I have been one ever since.
as long as your one of the "real" Dem's i can actually have a rational conversation with. The Dems are good people , great people to say the truth but i have to hope your not falling prey to these "so called" dems who are making darn sure what little we do have ends up in the pockets of the people who for some unknown reason seem to need it more than i do. IE- i go get the bread so they can have the beacon.

i look forward to the day we we can get back to the basics of Dems and Rep parties and get away from the god awful unrecognizable group of talking heads with no real interest in our flag and what it means to even have the privledge to fly one.

If your truly a random student, you may have just found your problem with your obvious message delivered (ie- you didnt take any of the election seriously like is a game), you may have just found your problem in general.

There are many random students out there who are afraid to get out of school for lack of finding work so they end up getting a degree that makes them percieved as too expensive to an employer. with no experience and an MBA,, thats useless in 80% of students cases where they got a "do you want fries with that degree" and expect me to give them Debt forgiveness for thier stupidity.

Last edited by jcassity; 04-13-2012 at 01:26 AM..

Old 04-13-2012, 01:26 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,389,650 times
I'm pretty apolitical, actually. I once ran a thread on whether intelligence and apathy can coexist. In terms of voting, I tend to be more interested in infrastructure issues. I think that those with high political ambitions tend to have skeletons in their closets, in addition to being fairly out of touch with ordinary people.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:35 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,359,124 times
When I was in business college. I had an accounting instructor who spent a good deal of time railing on Jimmy Carter (called him the "Peanut Farmer" or "Skippy in Chief") and the Democrats. At the same time, I was briefly going out with a liberal California transplant (a UCLA dropout), who thought Carter was the "best President we ever had". (Years later, I contacted him on Face Book, and guess what? He thinks OBAMA is the best President we've ever had!!!) The huge contrast in views made me pay more attention to what was going on politically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies