Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 10:35 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,407,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Some folks are perpetually unhappy. I'm Black and love fried chicken, what of it? I'm not particularly fond of watermelon though.
I'm Puerto Rican/Texan and I love friend chicken!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 10:45 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,116,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
If nothing else, this only serves as ammo for those City Data regulars that love to come into black related threads and go on about how ALL blacks are ALWAYS complaining about EVERYTHING.

Some of you are clearly OBSESSED with everything black, which is understandable. We're quite special.
Black people are the reason this non-controversial commercial was pulled from rotation. What other conclusion can be drawn?

Old 04-05-2012, 10:47 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,550,200 times
There has always been a derogatory association between blacks and fried chicken in attempt to somehow make us (or our palettes) appear primitive. I get that. However, I think we need to get over ourselves sometimes. Most of us who witnessed other blacks angry that Popeyes ran out of chicken during their promotional free chicken offer either laughed or sympathized. I'm black, and I do happen to occasionally enjoy fried chicken (and even a watermelon and a glass of cold Kool-Aid depending on the season). I remember a coworker joking and calling me out asking if I liked fried chicken. Instead of becoming offended, I answered that I do and I asked "dont' you?", to which he murmured "yeah" and his attempt at a joke was extinguished.

It's an honestly stupid association.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:47 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I'm Puerto Rican/Texan and I love friend chicken!
The Black players on our college football team used to regularly kid me about being a Latino brotha' from another motha' as I would regularly out eat them at Shakey's Bunch a Lunch where fried chicken and pizza were the main buffet items.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:48 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It seems that every time I turn around, blacks are upset about something.

(except for the wholesale murder of 30% of black babies and thousands of murders every year in their communities)
You're the expert.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:49 AM

52,706 posts, read 34,531,096 times
who doesn't like fried chicken, except vegetarians?

Old 04-05-2012, 10:52 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,028,891 times
It's kind of like when Italians get offended about being portrayed eating at Olive Garden.

Olive Garden commercial - 1999 - YouTube

Oh wait, they don't.
Not in 1999, not now, not ever.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:54 AM

33,563 posts, read 18,147,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I'll tell you what got me chuckling; your first sentence: "It seems blacks are always upset about stereotyping them... "
A sentence with a superb combination of irony and hypocrisy.
Blacks use the word stereotyping .. they are the ones who get upset. You are of course twisting the words to push back at those who wonder why they are upset. How great the spin is over there on liberal media.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:09 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,331,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Black people are the reason this non-controversial commercial was pulled from rotation. What other conclusion can be drawn?
You have blacks right here in this thread who say that they aren't offended by the ad, and I'd venture that most AAs aren't. Obviously, you have a minority who are overly sensitive.

You have a subculture of blacks who complain about everything, just like you have a subculture of whites who complain about everything. I don't know your race, but I have noticed that you never seem to pass up the opportunity to spread your 2-cents on the blacks.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:18 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Blacks use the word stereotyping .. they are the ones who get upset. You are of course twisting the words to push back at those who wonder why they are upset. How great the spin is over there on liberal media.
I think you missed his/her point. He/she was pointing out they hypcrisy and irony in you stereotyping by saying "blacks are always upset about being stereotyped." Maybe not your exact words but basically you are stereotyping and then saying that blacks are upset about being stereotyped. That is what makes your sentence ironic.

Some blacks, some people are always upset about something. I am black and couldn't care less about the commercial. Those Church's chicken commercial where people are Bopping their heads and showing off Jordon knock-offs while chomping into pieces of fried chicken irk me, but not enough to be outraged or protest until they're taken off the air. They're just stupid commercials.

Birthers are angry that Obama is POTUS along with others (I'm sure you can relate ) but they do not represent all white people. There will always be pockets of people that look for reasons to be upset, your OP sounds as if you believe that all black people are angry about this commercial, which is clearly not the case. If I were going to be outraged and take to the streets, I am sure I could find a better cause than a commercial about chicken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies