Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 11:10 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Being an A-hole is a choice as well. And the rest of society (you know, the good, sensitive people who don't harm others through words ?) definitely shouldn't be forced to subsidize your A-holish behavior.
That makes no sense, how is my behavior "subsidized" by others?

Besides, I have to pay actual money to subsidize the fatties who are too selfish to take care of themselves, and are perfectly fine offloading the cost of gorging on gorditas to the rest of society - so I figure the least they can let me do is call them fatties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 02:40 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
> Title claims they won't hire "fat" people
> Article mentions BMI greater than 35

Someone with that kind of BMI isn't just fat. They're obese - and that's not the image that the hospital wishes to portray. They wish to have a staff of healthy individuals.

what if they have a bmi greater than 35 because of a medical condition that is not self induced?

would you still be in favor of the hospital not hiring?

Old 04-12-2012, 03:04 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Botton line, if employers are going to be allowed to discriminate based on the possible future health costs of smokers, they should be able to discriminate against any employee whom they think may raise their health costs some day....for whatever reason.

That means an employer can discriminate against you for your lifestyle, period.....it should be all or nothing.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:09 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
what if they have a bmi greater than 35 because of a medical condition that is not self induced?

would you still be in favor of the hospital not hiring?
I thought about this for a few minutes...

If a person had a BMI of greater than 35 100% purely because of a medical condition (and absolutely zero to do with their food intake or lack of exercise) then they deserve to work in a hospital.

Then they wouldn't have far to go.

:3

Old 04-12-2012, 03:40 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
I just interviewed at a very profitable private sector web-based corporation. I probably viewed about 30 of the 100 employees at that location. The 30 were quite diverse except for one thing, none were obese, a couple little pot bellies but that was it.

So what was going on?

1. Nothing, just the total random factor

2. They discriminate against obese people (it's real easy to discriminate in the private sector).

3. Obese people's brains don't get enough oxygen so they cannot compete for these challenging positions, or even impress in an interview.

I'll speculate that it is a little from rows 1 and 2, and alot from row 3. Most corporations would hire feces-throwing neanderthals if it would help their bottom lines.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:19 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,798 times
What's next? If you eat redmeat, cholesterol, and high fructose corn syrup? How about those fat doctors? Are they part of it too? 60% of Americans are obese anyways. If they can't find jobs and do some work we will all be subsidizing them in one form or another.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:21 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
No, I'm not obese or even close - which you'd know if you had read my previous posts. Also wasn't "throwing a tantrum" or being immature, in fact I was merely pointing out the immaturity and mean spirits of a few people here. I was apparently raised better than some of you, because my parents taught me to be respectful and kind to others... sue me.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
That makes no sense, how is my behavior "subsidized" by others?

Besides, I have to pay actual money to subsidize the fatties who are too selfish to take care of themselves, and are perfectly fine offloading the cost of gorging on gorditas to the rest of society - so I figure the least they can let me do is call them fatties.
Yeah, I'm sure you singlehandledly fund every "fattie," and none of them pay their share... funny thing is, I'll probably pay more taxes in my lifetime than 99% of the people here, and yet I still manage to show a little maturity and respect towards the obese. Again, it's clear I was raised better than you! Keep using hurtful names if you want, but don't be surprised when others view you poorly as a result.

I bet you're the type who also drives like a jerk, so one day I just might be subsidizing your attitude.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I just interviewed at a very profitable private sector web-based corporation. I probably viewed about 30 of the 100 employees at that location. The 30 were quite diverse except for one thing, none were obese, a couple little pot bellies but that was it.

So what was going on?

1. Nothing, just the total random factor

2. They discriminate against obese people (it's real easy to discriminate in the private sector).

3. Obese people's brains don't get enough oxygen so they cannot compete for these challenging positions, or even impress in an interview.

I'll speculate that it is a little from rows 1 and 2, and alot from row 3. Most corporations would hire feces-throwing neanderthals if it would help their bottom lines.
If you genuinely think #3 is a logical conclusion, I think it's you who needs more oxygen to the brain... LOL.

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-12-2012 at 05:48 PM..

Old 04-12-2012, 05:41 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_herring_(fallacy)

Strange how you chose not to address the fact that fatties cost more money to take care of. Being fat is a choice, and the rest of society shouldn't have to subsidize your slovenly behavior.
Actually if 63% of Americans are overweight or obese than they are society or at least the majority of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies