Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2012, 07:20 AM

266 posts, read 179,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
cliff note version of conversation.
Nothing of indication that i said it was justified. It was simply the response to our interventianlist policies. It was not justified by any means. You are on big fail. You swinged and missed big time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 07:31 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Europeans have happily lived under the thumbs of their governments for centuries.

Every once in a while they will have an uprising or a 'revolution,' but the outcome winds up being the same one way or another.

These are the people whose ancestors lived under a monarchy and culturally are big government oriented.

I could give a rat's ass what europeans think. That's why people left that continent. For some freakin' freedom from oppression.
With rights come responsibilities, including able-bodied adults taking care of themselves.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:02 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Europeans have happily lived under the thumbs of their governments for centuries.

Every once in a while they will have an uprising or a 'revolution,' but the outcome winds up being the same one way or another.

These are the people whose ancestors lived under a monarchy and culturally are big government oriented.

I could give a rat's ass what europeans think. That's why people left that continent. For some freakin' freedom from oppression.
With rights come responsibilities, including able-bodied adults taking care of themselves.
What the hell are you talking about???????????????
As a native Brit and having lived in other parts of Europe i can tell you that we do not live under the thumbs of our Govt. but unlike some in America today we do NOT look upon the elected Govt as some kind of "bogey man" who is intent on causing us harm or use them as a excuse for failings in our society.
No revolutions in the UK...... sorry!
Yes we have a monarchy but they are simply a figurehead now and actually are more like ambassadors for the UK bringing in valued revenue and even helping the P.M., with advice (the Queen has seen many valuable things during her reign), she also entertains visiting heads of state so the Govt can get on with its job. YES we are Govt orientated.... why the hell do you think we democratically vote a Govt. into power.... just for something to blame for our problems ???????????????????
I'm sure you meant "I couldn't give a rat's ass....." but not sure if anyone is bothered whether you can or can't but yes you do live under the thumb but not of Govt. but corporations, in fact you are in a dictatorship controlled by Wall street, the Banks, Insurance companies and corporations..... They tell you to jump and you say..... "How High????"
You are so right that with rights come resposibilities and that also means the responsibilities of the fortunate for the less fortunate....... to live in a society means the good of all outweighs the good of the few.... otherwise you might as well live on a deserted island.
How did the right in America get to the point it is at right now where the normal everyday American means NOTHING to them and corporations controls their every move and the refusal to see anyone elses point of view or concepts..... we can see where that got us..... in the economic dumpster............
If you don't like other Countries... hey knock yourself out but that is such narrow thinking.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:12 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
They are idiots and apparently have not tasted true freedom, nor can they relate to the price of freedom which our nation's history keeps in our psyches.
I'm an idiot and apparently haven't tasted true freedom? Wow! How could i have failed to notice that? Thankyou for your skills of enlightenment..

Last edited by Baldrick; 04-07-2012 at 09:49 AM..

Old 04-07-2012, 09:41 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
The EU has been jealous for decades because the Americans came onto their continent TWICE to do what their inept and pathetic armed forces couldn't do..
Two points.

1. EU means the European Union which was formed in 1958 and since then the US has come onto continental Europe twice and fought who exactly?

2. I've served alongside US troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. How lucky i am that my countrys "inept and pathetic armed forces" were able to help in some minor and unobtrussive manner.
I have great respect for the US armed forces and the people that serve in it. I haven't fought alongside one man that i felt thought that i was by extension "inept and pathetic". Infact i know of a few that were very happy to have myself and other European troops about on few of the more interesting days.

You however, aren't worthy of any emotion.

You need to try and learn how to make a political or ideological argument without resorting to inane and mindless insults.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:47 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Obama, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?
My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends.
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,
So Obama, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?

Obama, won't you buy me a color TV ?
Dialing For Dollars is trying to find me.
I wait for delivery each day until three,
So Obama, won't you buy me a color TV ?

Obama, won't you buy me a night on the town ?
I'm counting on you, Obama, please don't let me down.
Prove that you love me and buy the next round,
Obama, won't you buy me a night on the town ?
Substitute the word "Obama" with "Jesus" and you'll have the American song.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:52 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Europeans, like Japan and the rest of the developed world, takes care of its own. Imagine that.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:55 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,559,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Europeans, like Japan and the rest of the developed world, takes care of its own. Imagine that.
Yes because we obviously don't.

Afterall, we don't have any social security, or some type of stamps for the poor to get food, or medical care program for the elderly that we support through our tax dollars.

If you want to argue the U.S. doesn't do enough fine. But don't act like we don't do anything for our citizens.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:43 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,266 times
It is not surprising that the Europeans are baffled by the challenge to Obamacare. I wouldn't expect them to fully grasp the intricacies of U.S. constitutional law any more than Americans understanding the laws of the various European nations or of the European Union.

Because our federal government is a government of enumerated powers whatever laws it passes must be pursuant to one of those powers. The issue for the Supreme Court to decide is whether the individual mandate fits within one of those enumerated powers.

The irony here is that if Congress and Obama had decided that Medicare coverage would have been extended to everyone in the country no constitutional challenge would have been successful. They didn't do that for two reasons: first the political support for nationalized health care wasn't there. Secondly, given the fact that current Medicare is on the verge of insolvency extending it to all Americans made no sense financially. Unless, of course the Dems and Obama were prepared to raise taxes dramatically. But they knew that was a non-starter.

So the Dems and Obama chose to attack the problem incrementally with the aim of eventually getting to single-payer universal healthcare. Unfortunately they chose a funding mechanism that is likely unconstitutional, i.e., the individual mandate. Too bad for Obama, and the Europeans who are so "baffled."

Old 04-07-2012, 10:46 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Substitute the word "Obama" with "Jesus" and you'll have the American song.
You mean the left doesn't believe they are one and the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies