Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 11:38 PM

603 posts, read 967,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I don't think moderate republicans have always been antienvironment. Tom McCall in Oregon was instrumental in protecting the Oregon Coast from development. And Nixon helped launch the EPA and a number of other things.

I think the conservatives tend to abhor regulations generally. There is a prevailing view that the resource user will always regulate themself most efficiently, the polluter will not pollute more than necessary, ranchers always knows best how to ranch, the logger how to log,etc. Research and an array of Superfund sites coast to coast has repeatedly shown these claims of self-policing user to be false. The desire to internalize the short-term profit and externalize the damage (or walk away completely) is overwhelming. Regulations are necessary.

I think the current climate is so juiced up with partisanship that almost any sort of environmental protection will be label ******* job killing, tree hugging mumbo jumbo. In the us vs. them world view, this is a "them" issue. But of course we all lose from a bad environment. It is another example of a self-defeating outcome of partisanship.

Interesting. Is this the old 'externalizing costs' deal,
where they create a mess and the US taxpayer is billed
with the decades long clean up? After the gov't is blamed
for the whole thing that is.

21 Years Later, Exxon Valdez Scars Still Healing - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 11:41 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
This is not an all or nothing topic as much as many environmentalist would like it to be. Environmental regualtions need to be practical and manageable. For example in another topic we are discussing the new regulations over mecury, I've shown with the EPA's documentation and other third parties who can be deemed reliable by mostly anyone that the decrease in the deposition of mercury in the US will be negligible. Therefore I argue against them, I guess that puts me in the "hates clean water and air" category.

As with all regualtions there is a practical limit, we can still produce products, energy and all the needs in the world with much less pollution but that is pointless if no one can afford to buy them.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:42 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceInTheCrowd View Post
So, I was hoping to get some good links and book suggestions are Green Republicans, or whatever.
Good luck with that one. The GOP's core positions are to hell with the environment, profits are more important.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:42 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
I remember when President Bush drew up a plan to have the forestry service clean out all the deadwood in fire prone areas.

What happened? tree huggers , environmentalists and certain CA DEM politicos came out of the woodwork against it using the justification "hurting Mother Nature" and it went nowhere.

As we've seen over the past few years massive forest fires fueled by dead brush and such.

If there is an attitude with Conservatives on the environment it's because they know the greenies, the huggers, and the friends of Mother Earth will funnel massive amounts of money to their lobbyists in DC to "convince" them to shoot it down.

So why waste their time?

Last edited by plwhit; 04-06-2012 at 12:21 AM..

Old 04-05-2012, 11:44 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
They're at least supposed to be monitoring corporate maleficence.
Not their fault that we have allowed the fox to guard the chicken coop, so to speak.
With Exxon board members revolving in and out of the EPA, etc etc etc.

Anyways, I ask because there are a few things I really side with conservatives about.
But environment is really a huge issue with me. And it seems like the hot rail issue for the Right.

So, I was hoping to get some good links and book suggestions are Green Republicans, or whatever.
Screw 'em. This country needs moderate republicans desperately. The far right goons will insult anyone that disagrees with them, but they are out to lunch on these issues. You are not. And you are right.

Let your freak flag fly brother!

Old 04-05-2012, 11:45 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:

But we HAVE to keep those oil subsidies going so they can find new oil!!!!!

Old 04-05-2012, 11:48 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:

You're quoting article about the Valdez spill still causing problems and showing an image of a bird from the BP spill?

Don't you think that's deceptive?

Here's the original photos if anyone is interested:

Caught in the oil - The Big Picture - Boston.com

Old 04-05-2012, 11:48 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Good luck with that one. The GOP's core positions are to hell with the environment, profits are more important.
I rest my case, many idiots on the left do nothing but lie about anyone and anything they can in order to further their political agenda.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:50 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I rest my case, many idiots on the left do nothing but lie about anyone and anything they can in order to further their political agenda.
Where's the examples of "green" republicans, or the GOP presenting environmental legislation?

Old 04-05-2012, 11:51 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
Yup. Republicans have their own supply of air and water. This way they won't care when the water is poisioned and the sky turns brown. They have their own supply of lumber, so it won't matter when every tree is cut down.
Republicans don't care about the environment and it's shameful. What an assinine thread. I think too many progs are drinking too much purple kool-aid while they read the tripe from the Sierra club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies