Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 11:17 AM

915 posts, read 1,189,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
We think everyone wants our democracy.
We think everyone wants to live in the US.
We think everyone loves our Hollywood movies.
We think the whole world wants us to "bail them out."
We think we can defeat every enemy.
We think we can do anything...

Sounds to me like delusions of grandeur...

Peace,
brian

Many people do want to live here, this is why we have an immigration problem. No one ever suggested this is the ONLY place people want to live, but it is high on the list for many.
Hollywood sales figures speak for themselves. Rightfully or not.
When people ask for help, yes I would interpret that as "bail me out"
We can defeat every enemy. Military force is not the only option.
This country was built on the idea that anyone can do anything. We broke out of the old world European mindset where your place in life was predetermined by the status you were born into. This is still very much alive and I am proud of that. Tell me where in Europe the son of a Kenyan immigrant could grow up to become President when just 50 years ago people of color were segregated from whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 01:41 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,365,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
Many people do want to live here, this is why we have an immigration problem. No one ever suggested this is the ONLY place people want to live, but it is high on the list for many.
Hollywood sales figures speak for themselves. Rightfully or not.
When people ask for help, yes I would interpret that as "bail me out"
We can defeat every enemy. Military force is not the only option.
This country was built on the idea that anyone can do anything. We broke out of the old world European mindset where your place in life was predetermined by the status you were born into. This is still very much alive and I am proud of that. Tell me where in Europe the son of a Kenyan immigrant could grow up to become President when just 50 years ago people of color were segregated from whites.
Hi gsm,

yes, there are many people who "dream" of coming to Italy to live. Even some Americans!

Hollywood figures don't tell you who decides what movies are put into theatres. Try to imagine what would happen if a European country "refused" to buy Hollywood flicks..

I would like to see who these people are who are asking the US to "bail them out." Do you have any references? In general, America doesn't spend money in "bailing people out" if there is no big return..

The US can't win the World Soccer Cup. I'd hedge a bet there are other things America can't win.. including the pointless wars in the Middle East that your taxes are supporting..

In general, I would say that optimism is a good thing. But it can also be too much. America thought it could "bring democracy" to the Middle East, but I'd hedge another bet that most people in the Middle East don't want what America has to give. And I say, good for them! Imperialism has got to go, if we want to live in peace with our neighbors in the world.
This is what the US still hasn't learned.

Peace,
brian

Old 04-06-2012, 04:12 PM

915 posts, read 1,189,919 times
Quote:
Hi gsm,

yes, there are many people who "dream" of coming to Italy to live. Even some Americans!

Hollywood figures don't tell you who decides what movies are put into theatres. Try to imagine what would happen if a European country "refused" to buy Hollywood flicks..

I would like to see who these people are who are asking the US to "bail them out." Do you have any references? In general, America doesn't spend money in "bailing people out" if there is no big return..

The US can't win the World Soccer Cup. I'd hedge a bet there are other things America can't win.. including the pointless wars in the Middle East that your taxes are supporting..

In general, I would say that optimism is a good thing. But it can also be too much. America thought it could "bring democracy" to the Middle East, but I'd hedge another bet that most people in the Middle East don't want what America has to give. And I say, good for them! Imperialism has got to go, if we want to live in peace with our neighbors in the world.
This is what the US still hasn't learned.

Peace,
brian

I seem to remember hearing about France limiting the percentage of foreign films shown in cinemas so as to preserve French culture.

The US can win the World Cup. Sure, they won't even qualify this time, but I remember how surprised people were when we made it to the round of 16 in 1994 and 2010. For 50 years before that we didn't even qualify. Who knows where we'll be in 50 years.

If you're looking for references of nations asking us to bail them out, besides the obvious ones of WW I and WW II, just a few that come to mind:

South Vietnam requests more support — History.com This Day in History — 2/5/1960
Kenya asks U.S. for help with Somalia offensive - Los Angeles Times
The Invasion of Kuwait | War in The Middle East
Dominican Government asks the US

In fact you can see a more comprehensive list here: History of U.S. Military Interventions since 1890
Although it does not specify when the US was asked to intervene, and several interventions were done on behalf of NATO or the UN, with majority contributions coming from US.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:23 PM

13,608 posts, read 10,018,851 times
Aren't Mickey and Donald great.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
its not that. its the invisible. DOD owns the oval office, not obama, not bush, not clinton.
they now have a private army, blackwater. it can easily be used to load u and me into fema detentions centers, the ones that dont exist.
u will know when this is coming, they will first disarm house to house, 1st of course preceded by a 30 day notice to turn in all firearms or risk prison.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:44 PM

23,523 posts, read 17,205,480 times
Naive is too kind a word.

Who would elect an unknown person, with no experience, president of the US?

Who would have no problem when a politician tells them 2,200 pages of life changing legislation has to be passed to see what's in it?

Who could receive a 'transparency award' given by OMB Watch, in a private ceremony and be afforded the protection of the news media turend propaganda machine to ignore this news story?

Who would shrug off a half billion $$ 'investment' in a failing company and claim in hindsight it was a good idea and still get a 50% job approval rating in the latest polls?

As for being world policeman, we allow Euro countries to minimize any real ivestment in defense and absolve them from addressing local problems which then fester and require US intervention by request. Less money spent on defense allows these heroes to offer their prize socio-economic systems as an example for America to follow.

How'd Italy make out in the last big war? Who was it they hooked up with? you know the guy with the mustache, ah... he invaded Poland and did a ***?

Seems you might best address China, Russia and Iran as the US isn't likely to hold Euro countries hostage and threaten their security. Best to tease the dog you know won't bite you and will come to your aid when needed.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
I seem to remember hearing about France limiting the percentage of foreign films shown in cinemas so as to preserve French culture.

The US can win the World Cup. Sure, they won't even qualify this time, but I remember how surprised people were when we made it to the round of 16 in 1994 and 2010. For 50 years before that we didn't even qualify. Who knows where we'll be in 50 years.

If you're looking for references of nations asking us to bail them out, besides the obvious ones of WW I and WW II, just a few that come to mind:

South Vietnam requests more support — History.com This Day in History — 2/5/1960
Kenya asks U.S. for help with Somalia offensive - Los Angeles Times
The Invasion of Kuwait | War in The Middle East
Dominican Government asks the US

In fact you can see a more comprehensive list here: History of U.S. Military Interventions since 1890
Although it does not specify when the US was asked to intervene, and several interventions were done on behalf of NATO or the UN, with majority contributions coming from US.
I'm sorry, but I just can't believe that the US really honestly cares about the South Vietnamese people's suffering, or the welfare of the Kuwaitis, or the people of Kenya. With all the killing we've done in the name of "democracy," I just don't buy it. I believe those "interventions" were spured by other interests.

Maybe when Obama (or any other president) starts sending peace corps forces to repair the damage we've done, and publicly apologizes for the killing of thousands of civilians throughout the Middle East and Africa, maybe then...

But for now, I don't see the US as "saving the world." You don't heal wounds with a gun.

Peace,
brian

Old 04-10-2012, 05:15 AM

1,332 posts, read 994,278 times
Quote:
Several issues at hand that make me think that America is either really naive, or using the lamest excuses to do whatever it wants, probably for the interests of a few.
Such as:

- the idea that America is the "police of the world." Since when is the US been voted to be in charge of policing other countries that are completely able to defend themselves?

- the idea that if America uses enough bombs and drones, it will somehow be able to eliminate everyone who doesn't like her.

- the idea that the rest of the world actually wants what America has to offer (ie fake democracy)

- the idea that by using the death penalty, America can "get rid of" the criminal element that has always been a part of society

- the idea that pesticides will actually someday rid the world of mosquitoes, flies, etc.

- the idea that certain countries can and need to have large military forces and nuclear weapons, but the rest of the world cannot

- the (recent) law in Arizona against "speech that is offensive." Excuse me? How ridiculous is that??

I'm waiting for the day that it will be illegal in America to be angry, to disagree, to cry, to write, express, or think anything else that might get in the way of corporate profits and political "interests."

Does anybody else see how ridiculous all this is?? Have we Americans been spending too much time watching Disney movies?

Peace,
brian
I agree that most Americans are ignorant. Most do not take the time to take a dip in the 'reality pool' other than to watch 'reality tv' like Jersye Shore or Keeping Up with the Kardashians.....as if that qualifies.

There are MANY things Americans are naive about. Generally speaking we are a pampered society....we are pretty much insulated from outside attack (except by our fellow citizens)....and most of us live a reasonably prosperous existence (which is dwindling before our eyes).

We are $16 TRILLION in debt...we have a rampant illegal immigration problem....(just to name 2 things)....and we have a government that doesn't seem willing to do a damned thing about either one. Yet we have near 50% approval for the president who is presiding over this debacle?

Unfortunately, MOST Americans subscribe to either ONE news source or ONE political party, and whatever propaganda is handed down from there, they believe it 100%. Largely because Americans are LAZY..they don't want to have to think about complex issues...they don't want to dig deeper, and frankly..as long as it doesn't directly impact them, they don't give a sh*t. For example....most Americans don't much care about illegal immigration because they don't SEE it every day. But...if an illegal immigrant robbed them...or a group of them pitched a tent in their back yard....then they would be up in arms about the problem.

Americans are becoming 'dumbed down'...even with all of the sources available to educate themselves, they are just too lazy and stupid to take advantage and become INFORMED. Burying their heads in the sand is much easier..that way they can focus more on logging in to facebook to play with their friends.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
I agree that most Americans are ignorant. Most do not take the time to take a dip in the 'reality pool' other than to watch 'reality tv' like Jersye Shore or Keeping Up with the Kardashians.....as if that qualifies.

There are MANY things Americans are naive about. Generally speaking we are a pampered society....we are pretty much insulated from outside attack (except by our fellow citizens)....and most of us live a reasonably prosperous existence (which is dwindling before our eyes).

We are $16 TRILLION in debt...we have a rampant illegal immigration problem....(just to name 2 things)....and we have a government that doesn't seem willing to do a damned thing about either one. Yet we have near 50% approval for the president who is presiding over this debacle?

Unfortunately, MOST Americans subscribe to either ONE news source or ONE political party, and whatever propaganda is handed down from there, they believe it 100%. Largely because Americans are LAZY..they don't want to have to think about complex issues...they don't want to dig deeper, and frankly..as long as it doesn't directly impact them, they don't give a sh*t. For example....most Americans don't much care about illegal immigration because they don't SEE it every day. But...if an illegal immigrant robbed them...or a group of them pitched a tent in their back yard....then they would be up in arms about the problem.

Americans are becoming 'dumbed down'...even with all of the sources available to educate themselves, they are just too lazy and stupid to take advantage and become INFORMED. Burying their heads in the sand is much easier..that way they can focus more on logging in to facebook to play with their friends.
Thank you for your honesty, Tall_Rep.
At least, it seems to me, based on what I read and hear from other Americans, that what you say is closer to the truth.

My hope is that perhaps people's level of awareness and intelligence will be raised by information that we now have at our fingertips by Internet. Years ago, it was harder to get information that now we can find in minutes or even seconds.

One major problem I seem to see today is the greed. It's astounding how much greed is a part of our society. No one says, "ok, I have enough." Everyone wants more. No saving your money, just spend and spend. And I think there will be consequences for it if we don't re-evaluate.
Also, we spend billions in war instruments, rather than education and health care. I really believe this all has consequences that will come back to us eventually.

So my hope is that our awareness as people will rise. Hiding our heads in the sand does no good whatsoever. Better to face the truth and work to improve things, imo.

Peace,
brian

Old 04-10-2012, 05:56 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,009 times
huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies