Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:39 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,428,238 times

Advertisements

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/25/AR2005092501146.htm

Like I said, he's a dick
l
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 09:40 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Just saying... if I was a successful CEO of Fortune 500's and hedge funds or vulture capital funds or whatever... and you gave me a whole country to run.... whoo ee... where would I start? Hmmmm... I'd probably kill the current caps on H1B visas. Blow it wide open for corps to import as much foreign talent as they can handle. Next I'd give limited citizenship to the 20 million illegal Central Americans residing here. I'd open the borders for 20 million more. I'd roll the minimum wage back to $3.30/hr. I would eliminate the minimum wage entirely for restaurant workers. No salary, just tips. I'd end all collective bargaining nationwide, read my lips "no organized labor". Period. I'd leave Social Security and Medicare alone, because I wouldn't have to worry about them. With no Americans working, they would go belly up without my having to dirty my hands de-funding them. After the finances are shaken out I would deal with the unrest by arranging voluntary and involuntary emigration of disenchanted Americans. The intractable kind that can't or won't get with an aggressive program of class warfare. That's how you make a country profitable! Anyone who thinks it makes sense for Romney to come in and create millions of jobs for Americans is a fool. Why did Republicans not run away with the country before? Because all the pieces were never in place before for a successful rout of the middle class before. You didn't have a military that was empowered to conduct operations inside our borders. You didn't have unlimited and anonymous funding of campaigns by corporations. You didn't have offshore factories tooled up and with sufficient capacity to out-produce what we could produce domestically. All that is now in place and you and me, that is, ordinary Americans are simply not needed and in the way.

H

Old 04-09-2012, 12:12 PM

867 posts, read 498,078 times
You're citing the Washington (Com)Post!!!!!!! No wonder you are confused.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:13 PM

867 posts, read 498,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Just saying... if I was a successful CEO of Fortune 500's and hedge funds or vulture capital funds or whatever... and you gave me a whole country to run.... whoo ee... where would I start? Hmmmm... I'd probably kill the current caps on H1B visas. Blow it wide open for corps to import as much foreign talent as they can handle. Next I'd give limited citizenship to the 20 million illegal Central Americans residing here. I'd open the borders for 20 million more. I'd roll the minimum wage back to $3.30/hr. I would eliminate the minimum wage entirely for restaurant workers. No salary, just tips. I'd end all collective bargaining nationwide, read my lips "no organized labor". Period. I'd leave Social Security and Medicare alone, because I wouldn't have to worry about them. With no Americans working, they would go belly up without my having to dirty my hands de-funding them. After the finances are shaken out I would deal with the unrest by arranging voluntary and involuntary emigration of disenchanted Americans. The intractable kind that can't or won't get with an aggressive program of class warfare. That's how you make a country profitable! Anyone who thinks it makes sense for Romney to come in and create millions of jobs for Americans is a fool. Why did Republicans not run away with the country before? Because all the pieces were never in place before for a successful rout of the middle class before. You didn't have a military that was empowered to conduct operations inside our borders. You didn't have unlimited and anonymous funding of campaigns by corporations. You didn't have offshore factories tooled up and with sufficient capacity to out-produce what we could produce domestically. All that is now in place and you and me, that is, ordinary Americans are simply not needed and in the way.

H
Why are we not surprised that is what YOU would do????

Old 04-09-2012, 12:38 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,651,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
And if you want to talk experience Obama has 3 years experience being President of the United States. Romney none. If the experience thing didn't work the last time what the heck makes you think it's gonna work now
3 years of experienced failures.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:49 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,664 times
Default What would be wrong with having a capable president?

Its been considered Un-American since atleast 1909 to have a capable president. (Reagan is an exception)

Old 04-09-2012, 01:00 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
What has Obama shown himself incapable of handling?
I want to keep this response short, so I will state what he has been capable of handling:

--------

Ok, should I state it again?

Old 04-09-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
Ill State Senator, US State Senator, President, Honest Citizen, Productive Member of Society.
We're talking about Obama here.... please stay on the topic... (and, stay in reality). First three are technically correct, however.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
You know... I'll take this bait, because this one hits close to home. Your example... ... I'll bet you're proud of it. So we accept that a pre-existing condition is valid grounds for refusing a person insurance coverage.

(Responding to another's post, so 'I' doesn't mean 'me', just a person in general, mostly)

Umm... having been in the medical community for a couple of decades... my comments:

You essentially can always get medical insurance coverage. The cost is associated with risk, as it should be. If I smoke cigarettes, drink excessively, take drugs, drive a motorcycle without a helmet or participate in any high risk activities, I should pay more for insurance. Anyone who thinks otherwise is blatantly selfish.

Let's take someone who has paid insurance premiums for 25 years. Like a relative of mine. A close relative. After 25 years of being healthy as a horse s/he is diagnosed with a serious medical condition.
Immediately his/her insurance company drops their coverange insisting that the illness had to be a pre-existing condition.

The medical community is not a charity. Someone has to pay for it. Hope they saved their nickels and dimes.

All those years of premiums gone and medical providers baying for blood. Thousands of dollars a minute

I am hard pressed to think of ANY procedure/care that costs that much, per minute, unless they are infusing pure gold. Even T-PA for heart attacks has come way down in price. Overall cost for a heart attack can easily be $50K, but that is why we have insurance, and if not, why we save our pennies.
(I won't go into what my medical expenses were in detail, but they were close to $0.5M and they were all out-of-pocket.)

and facing death and having to fight with an insurance company gone to ground to protect what remains of your credit rating and life savings.

Sounds like poor planning. Why have anything financial in your own name?

Decades ago auto insurance companies refused to insure inexperienced drivers. This wasn't a deal-breaker people simply did without insurance until they got the necessary skill to impress a carrier.

Now THAT was a long time ago (though in some states if you carry a bond you don't need insurance even today). That is exactly the same as carrying no health insurance. So if you get in an at-fault car wreck with someone, and seriously injure their passengers, or driver, we hope you have good lawyers, and don't mind losing your house and assets.)

Kind of a catch-22. If you are that good a driver why do you need to pay hundreds of dollars a year into some racketters slush fund.

To cover all the people who are crappy drivers. Our car insurance is very cheap, since the carrier doesn't accept high risk drivers. No requirement to carry clueless people.

Then insurance became mandatory.

Or a liability bond.

Medical payouts could easily be in the 100,000s of thousands of dollars and that wasn't going to be in anyone's ability to pay off in a cash sum.

That is why they invented 'insurance'. A good word.

The government stepped in and forced carriers to pick uninsured from an assigned risk pool.

Not my insurance company. We only pay for uninsured-insurance for those who (illegally) drive without insurance (or insufficient), so our company will cover ME (and my occupants). Who cares what happens to those others when they break the law. They do that, since the illegal drivers often don't have enough assets for the insurance company to recoup what is technically entitled to me.

They could charge them higher premiums but they had to provide them with insurance and no waffling out when a claim came hurtling through the window.

We are only experienced with this in a few states, but driving here with no insurance (or bond) is illegal. "Driver's license, Registration, and Insurance Card" is the standard statement from police here, when pulled over (don't ask me how I know).

You can claim that its ok for insurance companies to refuse coverage to the unwell or the less healthy among us but unless you are advocating euthanasia (are you?) there must be the provision of some kind of assigned risk pool for these people in light of the fact that medical costs are in a completely different stratosphere of reality in the present day.

Geez... There ARE assigned risk pools... but as a member of one, it will cost you a bundle. No free ride here. The way it should be.

Anything else is barbaric. Are you? A barbarian? I don't have much to go on from a two line post. I'm asking. Not suggesting.

We are not responsible for what you do/who you are/what issues you have. Also, you are not responsible for what we do/who we are/what issues we have.

Fair enough?

H
Mine in green.

Last edited by SuperSparkle928; 04-09-2012 at 02:24 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 06:54 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
I'm not sure what that was, but it was not a legitimate rebuttal of any of my points. That much I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies