Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 06:09 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The NRA convention is in downtown St. Louis this coming week/weekend. Not the average group of unprepared "victims" for these felons in training to attack.

This could be a good watch if the morons decide to ''flash mob'' the same time the convention is letting out for the day.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
What is it with mobs of black teens attacking elderly white people lately, and why is it always 10 on 1, or 15 on 3? What are they proving? This is what makes decent, black people cringe with disgust.
Decent black folks are doing the best they can in raising there kids the proper way, it is the underclass ghetto scum that has everyone reeling. Their kids are being raised in the streets by criminal thugs, is it any wonder why their behavior is so abhorrent

Old 04-16-2012, 06:20 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
I'm grateful that the police arrested some of them. Good job.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:24 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
Racism? Where? Is it all of a sudden 'racism' to tell the truth? Racism to put the blame squarely where it belongs?

What is sickening to me is the double standard that some of you promote. We can't criticize a black president for his HORRIBLE policies because if we do...well...that's RACISM. And we can't complain about a bunch of black HOODLUMS joining together to inflict damage on whites because if we do....well...I guess that is 'RACISM' too.
It's not really a double standard at all. If right-wingers were to restrict their complaints about Obama to actual policies, they'd be fine. But instead, they whine about non-existent " retribution for slavery", go to rallies waving obviously racist signs, and, for no apparent reason, then accuse Obama for "tearing the races apart". No, that's just them expressing the fear of black people they've always had.

Likewise, if you wanted to say "assault is wrong, these kids should be arrested", everyone would agree, and if the police were just standing there and watching, then we'd call those cops negligent. But instead, we get long-winded whines about how "black culture" glorifies thugs (it doesn't), and how awful and violent black people are (most are not). And that's just flat-out racism.

Quote:
Her is what I DO promote...RESPONSIBILITY. I don't give a DAMN what color you are...own up to what YOU and those you sympathize with do. Instead of labeling people as racists or bigots or haters or homophobes or islamophobes....take a look at what is being said and WHY it's being said, and start DEMANDING better from those you support and identify with.
Yeah, yeah, nobody here cares about skin color, it's just that (according to people like our OP), people with dark skin are violent, oversexed dullards. Seriously, it would be better if folks could move out of Birth of a Nation - era stereotypes, but until they do, they could at least stop whining when people call them on it.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
For what its worth the African immigrants I've encountered have been OBSESSED with education. They work like dogs to get into top schools to study the sciences and engineering. They work full time AND go to school full time.

And the whole time they have the BEST attitudes. I've been told over and over that in their native countries it costs a TON to go to school and it is seen as the ultimate necessity.

I've NEVER, EVER heard one complain about lack of access or not enough Affirmative Action.

Not once...
I wish the majority of young black American males had the same attitude.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:42 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorblade View Post
For the record, I'm white, but I'm from a very depressing place and grew up very poor around almost only black people. For the first bold I was talking about race in my post, but more so about class. The hood is mostly black folks, and most kids in the hood don't have fathers, and the ones that do, there fathers don't have masters degrees, they have felonies, and there dads don't listen to Johnathon Butler, they listen to Project Pat.

Try and put yourself in there position, it was much easier for you being middle class and a little easier for me being white to escape that ghetto thug mentality. Imagine if that's all you know.

As for the 2nd bold part I have never had an older black men tell me this around younger black folks, but growing up in the hood lots of older black men would often come up to me and strike up conversations with me about how much they can't stand kids these days and how all they do is sell drugs and kill people, rarely would they say black kids, but given the context, we are in the ghetto and someone got murdered last night, it was obvious they were talking about black kids. IDK if they were trying to play me into saying something bad about black people or they just saw a whiteboy an felt it was safe to vent with me. In general I noticed growing up in the hood that older black folks (65+) that were strangers seemed more comfortable around me and seemed less afraid of me than most of my friends. Which seems ass backwards because they are the very group of people that were terrorized by white folks in the pre-civil rights era.

I applaud you however for not falling victim to the thug culture, which regardless of income level can be difficult for a black man due to peer pressure. I didn't realize that till I started hanging outside of the hood and it seemed like half the black kids I would run into from rich families were trying to (pathetically) imitate that lifestyle that they know nothing about, it's offensive when you see people not from the struggle trying to act like there from the struggle. There trying to be like kids from the hood, they don't even realize kids from the hood would chop off there left hand to trade places with them.
It was easier for me to be in a middle class home and having an educated father. In the long run, I was exposed to what I feel was something better. There were books in the home and decent music in the home.

I spent middle school and high school in an exurban area an hour west of Atlanta. The environment I was in was mostly White, with a high contingency of skateboard culture, and some "redneck" culture. I basically didn't fit in anywhere for the most part. When the Black population started slowly increasing, I started thinking "maybe it's because I'm not Black enough". To be honest, I had my "hood wannabe" moments a few times, but that was it. I never really adopted the "hood" culture. I just faked it around some of the Black students. In really, I was a nerdy Black kid who read books about astronomy, geography and history. My grammar was basically "proper". I don't even say "y'all". And I knew it. I think there was alot of pressure of me, particularly as a male to succumb to the "hood wannabe" culture. In the end I just said "forget it". I started to look at some of these students as bad for my life. There were often students who were emulating the "gangster" lifestyle. I knew if I was hanging around them long enough, I would end up like them.

I would also point out that White youths aren't made to feel "not Black enough" if they escape the "hood" mentality.

Maybe you being White and growing up in the hood had an impact for elderly Black people to vent to you. Growing up how I did, I would think there were issues Black people would want to talk to other Black people about. At least in my old church, some of the older people would open express concern, not fear ,for the Black youths. It didn't seem like the elderly were afraid of the Black youths. Hearing them talk, they had more concern about how Black youths should behave better, to pull up their pants, to BE somebody, avoid BET and MTV. I never once got the idea that the older people were afraid of us. I got the idea that they were concerned and only wanted good for young Black kids.

I think another factor is that the only time I was ever around elderly Black people as a teenager was in church. The rest of the week, I was in an environment that was about 80% White and 20% Black, and mainly people my own age. This was during the day. Once school, track practice, or church let out, I was back at home, watching television, reading books, or doing something not social.

I think the reason I didn't succumb to the hood mentality is because I saw how destructive it was. I saw that if I adopted it, it would destroy everything about me that was essentially me. It would basically destroy me. Another factor was that I wasn't that social, in comparison to other kids. I was rarely at anyone's house hanging out, and I mean very rarely.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:08 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorblade View Post
For the record, I'm white, but I'm from a very depressing place and grew up very poor around almost only black people. For the first bold I was talking about race in my post, but more so about class. The hood is mostly black folks, and most kids in the hood don't have fathers, and the ones that do, there fathers don't have masters degrees, they have felonies, and there dads don't listen to Johnathon Butler, they listen to Project Pat.

Try and put yourself in there position, it was much easier for you being middle class and a little easier for me being white to escape that ghetto thug mentality. Imagine if that's all you know.

As for the 2nd bold part I have never had an older black men tell me this around younger black folks, but growing up in the hood lots of older black men would often come up to me and strike up conversations with me about how much they can't stand kids these days and how all they do is sell drugs and kill people, rarely would they say black kids, but given the context, we are in the ghetto and someone got murdered last night, it was obvious they were talking about black kids. IDK if they were trying to play me into saying something bad about black people or they just saw a whiteboy an felt it was safe to vent with me. In general I noticed growing up in the hood that older black folks (65+) that were strangers seemed more comfortable around me and seemed less afraid of me than most of my friends. Which seems ass backwards because they are the very group of people that were terrorized by white folks in the pre-civil rights era.

I applaud you however for not falling victim to the thug culture, which regardless of income level can be difficult for a black man due to peer pressure. I didn't realize that till I started hanging outside of the hood and it seemed like half the black kids I would run into from rich families were trying to (pathetically) imitate that lifestyle that they know nothing about, it's offensive when you see people not from the struggle trying to act like there from the struggle. There trying to be like kids from the hood, they don't even realize kids from the hood would chop off there left hand to trade places with them.
I had to mention this. I brought up Jonathan Butler because when I looked at him, I saw an example(among many) of a Black man who didn't dress like a hood rat. He didn't act like a hood rat. I could attract a woman with his personality, his capacity to love. He wasn't afraid to appear vulnerable in this video. He didn't feel the need to act "hard". The woman in the video was refined and lovely. One could take her home to mother. I got nostalgic, and came close to crying because I thought about when I was 3, 4, and 5 years old hearing this music. The song "Take Good Care of Me" came out sometime in 1986, probably around when I was born. My family and me were listening to this well into 1991. I didn't know what hip-hop was. Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson was played in our home as well. Nothing "hood" about our lives(me and my family). I look to this and see something that was lost on young people today. I asked what happened because there was a time when Black men didn't that "hood rat" image". Jonathan Butler reminded me of something that has been lost to a certain extent.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:24 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,532,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
You aren't too bright...but you are excused.

Never said there was a difference between whites gainging up on blacks and vice versa. I said this is a GROWING TREND. Those are the facts....if that makes me a racist, then I gladly accept the monniker.
Im glad you accept it because if the shoe fits
wear it with pride

Old 04-16-2012, 02:26 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,532,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
No problem, I am proficient in the use of a pistol and plenty of ammo.
Don't forget for you and BS that in prison you want have your gun. You have to get physical and I'm sure that may frighten some on here.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:55 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I would argue that many people don't want to confront it because of embarrassment. Bill Cosby was willing to speak out against the low achievement going on among poor African-Americans. I think many people didn't want Bill Cosby to say anything. The reason being was the idea of "airing out Black America's dity laundry" scared some people. It is the idea of "don't say that. you'll only confirm the stereotype of Blacks being criminals".

I think many African-Americans know the crime is plaguing so many Black communities. Part of the reason middle class Blacks have been going to the suburbs for many years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I look at it this way. The leaders who were willing to die for their cause, their people, and to look to something beyond themselves, are dead now. Now I see a vacuum. When Bill Cosby said what he said, alot of people vilified him. Part of it was some people viewed him as an "uncle tom". Some people who were on his side and agreed with him were critical of him because he "aired out Black America's dirty laundry". In short, it was an embarrassment factor.
Wanted to note that the majority of black people agreed with Bill Cosby and he is beloved to most black people and is still featured regularly on black media channels, especially radio. I love him as well.

And for those who said I accepted violence as a part of "black culture" I would like to laugh in your face in person.

The only thing I mentioned in my posts was that someone used two examples from Atlanta to prove that "flash mob" violence, meaning mob violence against white people perpetuated by blacks, has happened here. It has not. The articles cited from the AJC were about smash and grab robberies, which is when 3 or 4 gang members (it is a specific gang here in Atlanta and most of them have been apprehended and jailed for these specific types of crimes) use a vehicle and smash into a store and steal merchandise or money. No white people are attacked. These sorts of robberies were very common in Atlanta for a long time, at least since the 90s when I moved here. They mostly stole designer clothes and no one was ever injured.

Also the OP states that this was a vicious attack in regards to the OP article, when the article itself states that no one was seriously injured, which negates the assumption that the referenced article in the OP details some horrendous, violent crime perpetuated by black youths against whites. The article does not even speak as to the ethnicity of the perpetuators or the victims and the police officer did not describe it as vicious attack and even stated that it was just some kids who got out of control.

Just wanted to inject some sanity into the thread, actually came in to get a laugh for the day and it did come to fruition with the reference to the gun show LOL. It is amazing to me that you all think that black youths go around beating up whites and you want to kill them for it, yet you never have this happen to you or people you know and (unfortunately for you I guess) you have never had the opportunity to pop a few caps in the some kids.

I detest violence on all levels and I know that our American culture is one of violence, this is not specific to black people at all, as this country was founded on violence. Fortunately we are all moving beyond this and I hope we continue to do so and even though I have a gun I'm not itching to kill anybody and I hope to never have to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies