Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 06:22 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,062,274 times

Advertisements

I don't know why people would be upset. This has happened before. Gas prices go up and then go back down to normal. People get into such a tizzy and blame the president I think it's great....don't drive...take public transportation, walk, bike. Get out of your car and stop complaining....just enjoy life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 06:45 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
The MSM is doing a great job in it's attempt to get Obama re-elected.
Want to drink some kool-aid? Take a look at the stories on yahoo news every day. Thet get their material from media matters.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:48 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Put down the medical marijuana pipe, LA Times. Just wait until Memorial Day followed by school clothes shopping day.

"Gas prices have soared about 15% in the last six months, hitting $3.94 a gallon on average nationwide, and $4.29 in California. The mood of motorists? Meh."

Higher gas prices cause less public anger this time - latimes.com

Check out the photo choice with the above article. What they couldn't take a photo of an LA guy or gal at the gas pump? They had to scrounge around for a photo of "some guy" in Chicago?

Hey, maybe they are less worried about gas prices because they don't have jobs to commute to.

"California's unemployment rate will remain elevated for the next couple of years, according to a new UCLA forecast, and in some parts of the state won't return to pre-recession levels until 2016."

An election year?

California unemployment predicted to stay high until 2016 - Los Angeles Times

Hey, take a look at the ad on this page of the paper right in the middle of the unemployment article above:

"Help Barack Obama keep our economy growing. Join the campaign now."

And if you read this article in the LA Times, not only is everyone okay with $4.29 gas prices but everything is lollipos and rainbows with 10.9% unemployment rate there, too.

California unemployment rate holds steady as more people seek jobs - latimes.com
Fox News and the right wing talk shows have not yet given the command that Americans should be outraged about gas prices. We'll have to wait until the official order.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:10 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
When the gas price goes up ya hafta git creative.
Car pool as often as possible. All riders should leave their clothing at home and ride naked. With less weight ya'll git more miles to the gallon.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:10 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I don't know anyone who isn't upset with the high price of gas these days aside from those who don't drive. Gas here is averaging $4.35/gallon, which is down from $4.59 a week or two ago. Still, way to high for anyone's liking.
Except the oil sheiks.

I don't understand the liberals. They want to end oil dependence to save us from global warming and environmental doom but then complain when gas prices rise. I don't think $4 is unreasonable. If you get 20mpg, $100 transports you 500 miles on your own schedule. Seems like a bargain.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:15 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
LOL the funny thing is people actually think the president sets the price of gas...

Guess what it is the easter long weekend and guess what people tend to drive to go and vist relatives and such... Thus demand for gas is higher...

So if the supply stays the same but the demand goes up... the price will go up. Then when the demand dies down (after easter) the prices will then drop down again...

It has nothing to do with Obama at all...

Old 04-07-2012, 07:30 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Since TX is an Oil Exporting state it sucks a lot of Liberal California $$ into our economy.

Thanks CA for restricting exploration and driving all those freeways. Your state may almost be bankrupt but we're doing pretty well.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:02 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I don't know why people would be upset. This has happened before. Gas prices go up and then go back down to normal. People get into such a tizzy and blame the president I think it's great....don't drive...take public transportation, walk, bike. Get out of your car and stop complaining....just enjoy life!
Go back down to normal? I haven't seen gas prices go back down to "normal" since St. Hope and Change has been in office. It has gone up and up and up. Do you consider this "normal"? :

Last week, gas was $3.82 a gallon
Earlier this week it shot up to $4.06 a gallon
People pissed off, it's down to $3.99 a gallon

I guess $3.99, even though higher than $3.82, is "normal" because it has a three in the number.

No, what happens is that they raise the prices anywhere from 5-10 cents a gallon, it goes down a few cents, it goes back up another 5 cents, it goes down a few cents, it goes up another 5 cents...it has not returned to "normal" under this administration. You are being dishonest.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:07 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Since TX is an Oil Exporting state it sucks a lot of Liberal California $$ into our economy.

Thanks CA for restricting exploration and driving all those freeways. Your state may almost be bankrupt but we're doing pretty well.

I think you guys are doing pretty well. Just talked to my sone who travels to Texas on Business. He says not all texans are doing well, and some farmers are hurting.
He says texans are in his words unique, unless you get in the middle of two texans while they are fighting. My son, says they were going at it, he does not know why but he said the fists were flying.
He goes to Dalls and Houston regularly and Ft.Worth.
He spoke with some business owners who are complaining their business were not doing that well, think it depends on the business your are in as with anything.
I know a lot of californians that do not drive anymore, they take the train.
If California is going bankrupt, it is their own fault.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:13 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I think you guys are doing pretty well. Just talked to my sone who travels to Texas on Business. He says not all texans are doing well, and some farmers are hurting.
Farmers always hurt, they have a rough road everywhere. At least in most of the big cities TX is booming right now. Just since Jan 1 our home prices are rising and getting multiple offers on homes. Gas prices did hit $4 a gallon but the Oil Fields are booming with all kinds of activity (and Obama had nothing to do with it) It's all private drilling on private or TX public land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies