Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 09:53 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Educate the public how? Who is looking to the GOP to edcuate them?

Everyone knows that gas prices have a domino effect. That's not news to anyone.
No everyone doesn't know because even here where people are supposedly on top of things, you get people who think "I don't drive or own a car so I don't care." By "educating" I meant in their political ads and interviews for elections they need to talk about more than just pain at the pump. They need to talk about pain at the store. Where are the ads and interviews where national and local GOP politicians are talking about the cost of milk, a pair of shoes or a new gadget as it relates to $7 a gallon gas prices? All you ever hear is "pain at the pump."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 10:00 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
And if these morons feel that Obama is helping our economy, then they are smoking something very strong. They are talking out of their butts.
Job growth under Bush versus Obama:

http://static6.businessinsider.com/i...dec-7-2011.jpg

Old 04-08-2012, 10:52 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Los Angeles Times Says No Anger About High Gas Prices

The NY Times and this paper are both rags of the Democrat party. What else would you expect.

If there was a Republican President this would be news daily and all bad for Republicans.

Democrats are protected by the press, especially those who are failures.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:06 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Talking points for both Obama and Hillary campaignes were those high gas prices under Bush @$1.90, and how they'd be able to lower them. Three + years later and all we've heard is how "there's no magic way to lower gas prices", as it has more than doubled (along with ouir debt.)
You need to get your facts straight.
Gas prices under Bush plummeted after the economy collapsed during the fall of 2008. Prior to that (during the summer of 2008) they had climbed to a nationwide average of over $4/gallon - which is STILL a record.

Gas Price Historical Price Charts - GasBuddy.com

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 04-08-2012 at 11:31 PM..

Old 04-08-2012, 11:42 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Los Angeles Times Says No Anger About High Gas Prices

The NY Times and this paper are both rags of the Democrat party. What else would you expect.

If there was a Republican President this would be news daily and all bad for Republicans.

Democrats are protected by the press, especially those who are failures.
Gas prices in Los Angeles peaked about month or so back and have since dropped a bit.

Gas Price Historical Price Charts - GasBuddy.com

Ken

Old 04-09-2012, 10:49 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Job growth under Bush versus Obama:

http://static6.businessinsider.com/i...dec-7-2011.jpg
Sorry i don't go by those numbers.

Bush in office, myself knew not one person who lost a home or job .

Obama in office i now know 18 familes who lost jobs under this administration. I go by what i personally see and know, not numbers someone is always making the numbers up.
I have frineds who live in your neck of the woods, they say that area too, is not doing well since Obama came into office, not what it was.
And i know, i have many realtor as friends, i know what housing is doing in this State.
Well then, under Bush i did not know one person who lost a job, under Obama, just me alone know 18 families thruout the Country who have and half lost their home too.
Come up with an explanation for me please, love to hear it. But if you give me Bush, i will not listen, it is hogwash.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:14 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Sorry i don't go by those numbers.

Bush in office, myself knew not one person who lost a home or job .

Obama in office i now know 18 familes who lost jobs under this administration. I go by what i personally see and know, not numbers someone is always making the numbers up.
I have frineds who live in your neck of the woods, they say that area too, is not doing well since Obama came into office, not what it was.
And i know, i have many realtor as friends, i know what housing is doing in this State.
Well then, under Bush i did not know one person who lost a job, under Obama, just me alone know 18 families thruout the Country who have and half lost their home too.
Come up with an explanation for me please, love to hear it. But if you give me Bush, i will not listen, it is hogwash.
- I am making more money in 2012 than I did in 2008.
- My friends who have lost jobs were able to find another job within weeks and usually at comparable salaries (a few have found positions in which they earn more)
- My business is doing very well - people will spend money on things that they strongly desire
- None of my friends or family have lost homes
-Some (including myself) have purchased new cars in the two or three years
- Some have purchased real estate during the recession

What are your friends doing wrong?

Personally, I believe that the people who were hit the hardest are the ones who lived above their means, did not have sufficient savings/investments, were not willing to switch gears if needed (ie be open to creating a niche in their current field), not open to getting an advanced degree, were not willing to change their career path, the ones who were not willing to recognize that they may have to take a pay cut in order to find employment....those who were not able to adapt.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:25 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I tthnik the subject is anger at gas prices nt why people are not working. Plenty of other threads on that. I have to say that even in the 70's embago the anger only came with shortages and lines.Americans have actully cut back on gasoline usage and its not really expected to rise much in future for many reasons.Its energing markets that are driving deamnd with new consumers.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:26 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Obviously you’ve never been to LA for you to make that statement.
Wrong. So Cal native.

Though I would like to know why my saying he's a well dressed young man makes you think I've never been in LA.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-09-2012 at 11:42 AM..

Old 04-10-2012, 09:50 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
I’m a LA native. I took issue with you saying they’re probably too well dressed for L.A. My associates and I wear slacks and a dress shirts most weekdays. Well-dressed individuals are all over the place in the city. There are almost 4 million people there. The reason I said I doubt you’ve been there is because someone who has would know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Wrong. So Cal native.

Though I would like to know why my saying he's a well dressed young man makes you think I've never been in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies