Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 09:40 PM

744 posts, read 811,759 times

Advertisements

I'm a silly economist don't hate bros
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 07:11 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I'm curious to know where all those unemployed are. I know literally hundreds, if not thousands of people across the country and I don't know a single one who is unemployed involuntarily. Not one.

Where is this "recession?"
Keep in mind that you are in a red state. I'm in a blue state (WA) and I know a few people who are involuntarily unemployed, and (more comonly) underemployed. The company I work for has in the last year put recent hires 'on call,' meaning they only work when called in. Typically they are working 2-4 days a week.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:09 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Keep in mind that you are in a red state. I'm in a blue state (WA) and I know a few people who are involuntarily unemployed, and (more comonly) underemployed. The company I work for has in the last year put recent hires 'on call,' meaning they only work when called in. Typically they are working 2-4 days a week.
Not sure D or R matters. TX says 7.1%, likely EQ to U3 numbers. Don't see the method or breakdown.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

This link is better. TX U6 is 14.4% thru 2011 U3 is 8.1.
http://www.bls.gov/lau/stalt11q3.htm

Last edited by Yac; 05-08-2012 at 06:53 AM..

Old 04-08-2012, 10:13 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

Yes, I'm a red state, but I travel a lot and have friends and acquaintances all over the country and the world. None of them know of anybody either, so far as I'm aware.

And, yes, I know about underemployment, but that's been a problem since long before the recession.

I'm not saying the numbers aren't really so, just that I don't personally see it.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:21 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,930 times
Unfortunately, the term "underemployed" can be kind. If you can't get the basics w/ what you make things can become dire quickly. Costs are high. Shelters are really not adequate and often have limited to no availability.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:51 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Under employed means you have sa skill that should be indemand but can't egt a job. I can guarantee you like the 70's recssion mnay willendup inthsi catagory as thier numbers i their skill is not needed. Just a sad fact that has always been true and especially as economy is change during a recession.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:27 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I sure wish some of the left leaners would just take a peak at your links but they won't since they want the numbers the Obama people put out to be true.

Most mature people know the numbers are fixed, no matter what is being said, or shown.

People who have given up on finding a job, and i myself know many, they are not fake real people who have had the misfortune of losing their job and some their homes too. All facets of different types of jobs, from electricians the two i know who wre on their jobs 10 years and last week both got the boot. Not kidding.
Since Obama has been in office, from across this Country i myself know eighteen familes who have lost jobs and homes or their job.
These are people who were on their jobs for some over twenty years, thought they were safe, were going to retire at this job, but that did not happen
That upset me very much, most of these cases were middle aged men, some in their late thirties.
These are real people with little kids, some teens, or both. Christmas was a sad time for some of these people, yet they have pride, and some want no help, which upset me too.
This is real Roy, i know you are telling the truth, because i know some of these people who have given up.
Some of them have looked and looked and looked, so these are not lazy people who just stopped looking on the onsight of losing their job.
When you know someone who has lost their job who was on it for many years, and their home too, it has an effect on you.
It told me, no one is safe, be grateful everyday you have a job, tomorrow it may be gone.
Infact i right now know a family in their thirties, whose house is underwater, the husband is working his butt off, way over his eight hours, he is working an extra 4 hours on top of that. Something to do with aircraft, that is all i know. This is real, and it is sad, and for someone who thinks it is not real, because they do not know anyone who has lost a job, is just ignorant, it is real. Businessess do not close shop, because things are going great. or closing stores because the numbers are just not there. People are going to lose more jobs.
This is in no way the change most of these families asked for when Obama was elected, this was the very thing, he said would not happen. I have tapes of him we taped him, for that very reason, to play him back and hear the lies.
It was of a new era of Hope n' Change, and bringing the people together, the opposite has happened. People have no change, and are more divided then i can ever remember.

Last edited by california-jewel; 04-09-2012 at 01:53 AM..

Old 04-09-2012, 07:12 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Yes, I'm a red state, but I travel a lot and have friends and acquaintances all over the country and the world. None of them know of anybody either, so far as I'm aware.

And, yes, I know about underemployment, but that's been a problem since long before the recession.

I'm not saying the numbers aren't really so, just that I don't personally see it.
Just because you don't personally see it, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. I was unemployed for nearly 2 years and have been underemployed for the last 1.5. It's brutal. You and the people you know are very luck to be employed.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:09 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,553,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Fox "News" as your source. 'Nuff said.
So you admit the veracity of the article?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies