Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 01:17 PM

359 posts, read 329,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Like AIDS, it's a myth.
AIDS ain't no myth, dood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 01:20 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dood912 View Post
Actually, I live it. I was diagnosed about a year ago, tried the whole speed thing, and found it a very poor way to treat my normal brain. In fact I found it changed me, my personality, and wasn't an honest way to live my life.
I agree that many people do not do well the medications. But some people do great on them. Because you are one that doesn't tolerate the meds, why do feel the need to take down those that do?

Look, I am far from being a drug advocate, but to have seen it work so well in some people made me a believer that in many cases, it is an effective treatment. But it is not one-size-fits-all.

I think we really need to stop trying to force square pegs in round holes and find ways to have children and adults with this issue work better in their surroundings.

My youngest cousin was DX'd with in back the 70s (female). They didn't really know what to do with her and her parents did not medicate. They instead put her in private schools that dealt with kinesthetic learning. She was up and around and moving most of the day. She'd did beautifully in school, made it through college, and teaches now.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:26 PM

359 posts, read 329,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I agree that many people do not do well the medications. But some people do great on them. Because you are one that doesn't tolerate the meds, why do feel the need to take down those that do?
I'm sorry if that's what you feel my words were meant to do. This is a situation that I see with much cynicism. I don't ever mean to put anyone down, and if I do, then I apologize.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:54 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,394 times
Quote:
What do you fine humans think about kids these days getting diagnosed with ADD and ADHD and what have you?

While some people genuinely do have behavioral problems, I feel that they are in the minority compared to the kids who just wake up every day, eat some Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs, drink a Red Bull and then can't sit down and shut the hell up.

On top of this they inevitably wind up getting diagnosed with some bullpoop condition that means they'll be taking a daily doses of AMPHETAMINES for the rest of their lives. This guarantees their future as a jacked-up speed freak whose character and personality development is influenced mostly by a little orange football pill they eat in the morning. It's messed up, man.

Thoughts?
Have you ever asked yourself why taking an amphetamine for a condition called Attention Deficit HYPERACTIVITY Disorder accomplishes? For someone who has this problem the "amphetamines" speed up that area of the brain that has the issue.

BTW, My daughter was diagnosed by a neuropsychologist when she was 7 years old. I can guarantee she wasn't eating sugar bombs and drinking red bull.

It was a real diagnosis for a condition that is actually real, though I will agree it's being used as a catch all diagnosis.

BTW, her pill wasn't an orange football it was a small blue/green pill and it made a huge difference.

Biggest telltale difference was something so stupid it's funny. She used to play duckhunt on an old nintendo, and could not get past level 3. While on her med, she would easily hit level 50. Her ability to concentrate on a single task instead of being distracted by every sound and motion was very real.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:00 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
ADHD is a recognized disability and if the OP wants advice, consult a medical professional not an opinion board.
while add and adhd are real disorders, they war way over diagnosed these days, and there are a lot of people jacked up on drugs that dont need to be. my niece for instance was diagnosed with adhd years ago, and was prescribed medication for the condition. it turns out that she was just a normal 6 year old child and her parents took her off the drugs completely.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:57 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,608,641 times
Quote:
What do you fine humans think about kids these days getting diagnosed with ADD and ADHD and what have you?

While some people genuinely do have behavioral problems, I feel that they are in the minority compared to the kids who just wake up every day, eat some Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs, drink a Red Bull and then can't sit down and shut the hell up.

On top of this they inevitably wind up getting diagnosed with some bullpoop condition that means they'll be taking a daily doses of AMPHETAMINES for the rest of their lives. This guarantees their future as a jacked-up speed freak whose character and personality development is influenced mostly by a little orange football pill they eat in the morning. It's messed up, man.

Thoughts?

I had ADD and ADHD, until I got my ass tore up by my dad or mom.

I straighten up real quick, after a dose of medicine to the ass.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:22 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I know some people who have benefited greatly from a medical diagnosis and proper medication. Others do better just by figuring out how to deal with it themselves.

Beating someones @ss only works on someone who is being an @ss, not someone with ADD or ADHD.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:33 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,052,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Where did you get your degree in psychiatric medicine?

Your response has no more validity than thinking that heart attacks are BS.

ADHD is a recognized disability and if the OP wants advice, consult a medical professional not an opinion board.
What's the deal....it's their opinion. I happen to agree. Growing up we never had this kind of problem but now it seems to be an epidemic. And with this epidemic seems to be more drugs prescribed. And who benefits from having drugs prescribed???? OH, let me guess

Old 04-07-2012, 07:37 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What's the deal....it's their opinion. I happen to agree. Growing up we never had this kind of problem but now it seems to be an epidemic. And with this epidemic seems to be more drugs prescribed. And who benefits from having drugs prescribed???? OH, let me guess
Yes we did.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:40 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,052,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Yes we did.
Maybe so but what the drug companies are doing is out of control. I feel they are trying to make you dependent. Sorry, but I feel we are way too dependent on drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies