Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2007, 09:30 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,895,509 times

Advertisements

The GOP attack machine is now up and running against former VA governor
Mark Warner. Do you think Mark Warner will win a GOP senate seat that has been held by republicans since '72?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 09:40 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,202,992 times
I think he has money, a record and a very good chance of becoming the next senator from the Old Dominion.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:41 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,640,967 times
Quote:
Mark Warner. Do you think Mark Warner will win a GOP senate seat that has been held by republicans since '72?

No, I think the attack machine will be elected if it follows a solid campaigning strategy.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:45 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,264,637 times
In the "Which state is the next to turn blue" poll that was posted a few weeks ago, many participants named Virginia. Warner seemed to have universal appeal when he was governor and he's a conservative dem like Jim Webb so I think he has a good chance. The dems could be lucky and have another "macaca" moment..

Old 09-14-2007, 01:02 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,021,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
yes. i am certain that he will win in a blue tide that will grip the 08 elections.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:41 PM

989 posts, read 2,763,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
yes. i am certain that he will win in a blue tide that will grip the 08 elections.
That is an excellent point, which may actually influence the election. In a normal election I think a popular "Dem" like Warner will turn out a lot of democratic voters and win with a good percentage. However, most of the folks who vote for a democratic senator will also vote for a democratic Pres candidate (sure, some won't though), which means Virginia will go Blue for President, making a Republican White House win very unlikely.

We will not be in a normal election though. The Republicans will have figured this out and (not wanting to lose the WH) will be making Virginia one of their top priorities (if not THE top priority) and tens of millions in out of state money will be flowing into the state to smear, distort, and tar Warner with everything they have. We may even see ol' Carl Rove step out of retirement to "personally oversee the final stages of the operation" (yep, a Star Wars quote!).

Old 09-14-2007, 07:48 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,866,053 times
Well, John Warner (the current senator) has been a squishy, left-leaning RINO who could never be counted on for anything conservative.

So, if they got a fairly conservative Dem in there like Mark Warner, I don't see how it would make much difference...

Old 09-14-2007, 09:47 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,247,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Yes, I am fairly certain he will win a seat for the Democrats in 2008. He was a very popular governor, and a very good and clear speaker.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:33 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,038,274 times
If the DEMS gain another Senate seat by just 1-they can dismiss Joe Lieberman entirely- who IMHO is scum. He is an embarrassment to many here in Connecticut. He and his corporate lobbyist wife (for a drug company) Have done nothing for the people of Connecticut.

On Mark Warner- he went to Rockville High school in Vernon CT- a few miles from my house.

Joe Lieberman then can become A Republican or part of the Israeli Knesett.
When his term expires in 2012 he can retire or finally be beat as a Republican. This man reaches new heights of hypocrisy and duplicity.

Sorry to move beyond the part of a moderator- but I live in the state of Connecticut- and as a voter here feel I had to vent.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:16 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,308,241 times
No if here...... Mark Warner WILL win the senate seat. It's my belief he'd have won the Presidency had he run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies