Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 07:00 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Some people just can't help themselves. Which degrades credibility a little bit every time.
Yep. It's amusing; isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 07:05 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Just kind of interesting, because California is about 60% more populous and so is NY, but they are not as common on this forum.

Just wondering if there is some explanation for the outsized Texan viewpoints here.
You talking population ? TX just passed 25 Mil which is not that far behind CA.

We love our country, believe in freedom of the individual and don't want it screwed up.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:13 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
"Are Texans inclined to argue politics more than others"? Does a bear chit in the woods? We've been fighting amongst ourselves (and others) since about 1836. Come down and caucus with us sometime. It doesn't matter which party, most times there will be a good brawl.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:17 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
"Are Texans inclined to argue politics more than others"? Does a bear chit in the woods? We've been fighting amongst ourselves (and others) since about 1836. Come down and caucus with us sometime. It doesn't matter which party, most times there will be a good brawl.
Haha! Well, it was an honest question. I have only been to Texas once. Had a conference in Austin. Great town. A lot of good music, friendly people, and crappy beer (sorry, for an Oregonian, Shiner bock is like Boone's farm for a wine snob..!). I have a number of friends who have raved about W. Texas. I'll have to give it a look one day.

Yes, I gather folks have strong opinions there, at least from what I read here. So do I, so I'm not very different really.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:29 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
We Texans are a hearty, very patriotic and outspoken bunch, and yes I am aware that this is a generalization. I know I cannot speak for every single Texan though I'm from a family of many generations, there.

We're a passionate bunch. No wonder it's part of the bible belt.

I do not think that CD just happens to be more known in Texas than other forums or websites, no.
I'm in good company then!

Texans are the friendliest people in America!

Old 04-07-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
I'm in good company then!

Texans are the friendliest people in America!
The most humble too. If you don't believe it just ask.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:37 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
So, for my conservative compadres. If Texans love debating politics, and the majority lean conservative, as evidenced by their dominance of the much-loathed Tea Party and love of the right wing demagogues, here are some tips. Bear in mind that as passionate as you all are, your fellow Americans don't view the world in Texas terms. If you want to get somewhere, put forward more moderate, competent people. Someone like Romney with a spine and drawl. No more loony tunes or brain dead religious nazi candidates like Perry, and yes, even Paul (the man is smart, but a complete zealot-never going to fly).

Put forward people who care about all of America, not just Texas oil and southern culture. I have no problem with Texas, but I don't want the whole country to look like that state, nor to share its particular values. A bit of mutual respect would get us somewhere. Seems like so many of the Texas conservatives are always coming out attacking everyone (even in their own party) and wondering why we don't want to give them power.

Texans often seem to me like the ugly Americans of the US. The don't give a damn about anyplace else, but they expect us to just love them. I would say New Yorkers are no better, and Californians are even worse, as they assume they are superior, and pretty humorless about it. Texans can at least laugh at themselves, or that is my impression. But America is a lot more than all those huge states and we want evidence people realize that.

My 2 cents.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
So, for my conservative compadres. If Texans love debating politics, and the majority lean conservative, as evidenced by their dominance of the much-loathed Tea Party and love of the right wing demagogues, here are some tips. Bear in mind that as passionate as you all are, your fellow Americans don't view the world in Texas terms. If you want to get somewhere, put forward more moderate, competent people. Someone like Romney with a spine and drawl. No more loony tunes or brain dead religious nazi candidates like Perry, and yes, even Paul (the man is smart, but a complete zealot-never going to fly).

My 2 cents.
You are stereotyping. You would be surprised how moderate and even liberal much of TX is, we were Democrat back when the Democrats represented the real working man like the farmer and rancher. We are actually one of the most diverse states you'll find and very accepting of all our white / black / brown communities.

For the record... many of us here thing Rick Perry is a Nimrod / Moron and have no respect for the man. Our Governor position is more of a figure head with very little power. We knew he didn't stand a chance and as soon as he opened his mouth he would prove us right and he did.

Let me add... when a Texan gives you his word or shakes your hand, you can take it to the bank. There is still a lot of old values here in principles, honor and values.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:

Put forward people who care about all of America, not just Texas oil and southern culture. I have no problem with Texas, but I don't want the whole country to look like that state, nor to share its particular values. A bit of mutual respect would get us somewhere. Seems like so many of the Texas conservatives are always coming out attacking everyone (even in their own party) and wondering why we don't want to give them power.

Texans often seem to me like the ugly Americans of the US. The don't give a damn about anyplace else, but they expect us to just love them. I would say New Yorkers are no better, and Californians are even worse, as they assume they are superior, and pretty humorless about it. Texans can at least laugh at themselves, or that is my impression. But America is a lot more than all those huge states and we want evidence people realize that.

My 2 cents.
I am a social moderate and a fiscal conservative. I am one of the biggest Romney supporters on this forum and, if Santorum was somehow able to get the GOP nomination, I would not vote for him in the general election. And I cannot stand the Tea Party movement.

I'm a native Texan. I have moved 300 miles within the state, but not outside of the state and I probably never will. I am proud of my state and I feel like a Texan as well as an American. I feel more like an American than a Texan, don't get me wrong, but being a Texan is a part of who I am. I doubt you would say that being an Oregonian is a part of who you are (no offense).

That being said, I have traveled extensively around the country and to a few foreign countries as well and absolutely do give a damn about other places. I enjoy traveling out of state, though I'm always happy to get back home to Texas.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 04-07-2012 at 08:09 PM..

Old 04-07-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You are stereotyping. You would be surprised how moderate and even liberal much of TX is, we were Democrat back when the Democrats represented the real working man like the farmer and rancher. We are actually one of the most diverse states you'll find and very accepting of all our white / black / brown communities.

For the record... many of us here thing Rick Perry is a Nimrod / Moron and have no respect for the man. Our Governor position is more of a figure head with very little power. We knew he didn't stand a chance and as soon as he opened his mouth he would prove us right and he did.

Let me add... when a Texan gives you his word or shakes your hand, you can take it to the bank. There is still a lot of old values here in principles, honor and values.
I've voted for Perry, but not in a primary. If he runs for governor again in 2014 and somehow wins the Republican nomination, as long as the Democrats put up a halfway decent candidate, I will vote for him/her in the general election even if he/she is a hardcore liberal. I am sick of Perry, who ironically constantly rails on and on about corruption and crony capitalism in Washington when there's tons of it going on in Austin. And what's even more hilarious is that he has endorsed Newt Gingrich and keeps calling him a "Washington outsider." LMAO

I am not alone in my feelings about Perry (the last Perry approval rating I saw was about 40% IIRC).

Oh - and there's no way in hell I would vote for Perry in the GOP presidential primary if he was still in the race and I would not vote for him for President if he won the nomination.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 04-07-2012 at 08:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies