Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2012, 03:54 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times

Advertisements

Did not see the video...I can see excluding anyone that looks like a scary jerk ...black or white...If a person looks dangerous...It is up to the discretion of management to exclude....them or take a chance and let them in...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 03:58 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I disagree. If someone doesn't want blacks in their establishment, they should be able to discriminate if they want.

The only beef i have is that it should be posted very clearly on the outside saying "no blacks allowed" so as to prevent any situations. It should be big and in bold lettering. If you're gonna be a racist, do it blatantly. It's the only type of racism i can respect. It's the surreptitious stuff that i can't deal with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Oddly enough I mostly agree with you.

I don't believe anyone should be denied opportunities, services, accommodations, etc. because of race, sex, religion...but if you are going to waste my time and your time pretending to not discriminate against me by allowing me to apply for a job, business opportunity, grant, loan or whatever that absolutely will not go to a white male, I say just tell me up front.

Don't waste my time covering up your lie.

As for the video, I don't see where the guy was denied entrance because he was black. I heard him and others throw the race card out, but we all know that means absolutely nothing. In America today, if you didn't get the specific toy you wanted in your happy meal, it's because you're black.
Quote:
I'm loving the racism disguised throughout your post as being some sort of thought provoking commentary.

In the future, don't bother with the facade. Don't bother with the whole fake agreement with me nonsense. It's not necessary.

Oh, so when I say the same thing you said I'm a racist?

Do words have different meanings depending on who says them?

Throwing the race card doesn't mean you win the argument.

It just means you're a creature of habit.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:08 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,277,718 times
It was probably some crappy redneck bar, who cares about kentucky nightlife....

Old 04-08-2012, 04:10 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,277,718 times
tthis is why clubs have implemented strict dresscodes everywhere else

Old 04-08-2012, 04:13 PM

566 posts, read 958,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
It may be absolutely AMAZING to you but there are places in the United States where black and white people get along with each other just fine. That may include a black person sitting in a bar where the majority of other people just happen to be white.

The issue isn't why a person would go to a bar but why would they be denied entrance?

Get It?
My question had nothing to do with them being denied entry and everything to do with wondering why they'd even want to be in an all-white bar in a small town in Kentucky in the first place. I live in one of the most diverse cities in the US, but I definitely have no desire to go hang out at an all white bar for any reason; especially one filled with all kinds of lower class, uneducated Republican trash. That was my point so stop overthinking things.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:13 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Oh, so when I say the same thing you said I'm a racist?

Do words have different meanings depending on who says them?

Throwing the race card doesn't mean you win the argument.

It just means you're a creature of habit.
You tried to be cute. The problem is that i'm accustomed to your type.

You didn't say anything close to what i said. Even you acknowledged in the post above that this is an argument, which means that you actually disagreed with me, but played some silly game that you get into. I'm not playing it.

You came out the side of your neck. I called it. Leave it at that and keep it moving.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:17 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,216 times
Quote:
Yea, i wouldn't do that if i were you either. Hell, if i was white, i probably wouldn't be caught dead in an all black bar. As it is, i would NEVER go into an all white bar either. Well, i take that back....it depends on where it is. In Detroit...no way....too dangerous. But out here in Arizona, i'd have less trepidation although i wouldn't be comfortable.
I've been to Arizona many times, and if I'm going to hesitate (all white bar) it will be there not in Detroit. The racism in Detroit is more the passive aggressive kind, it gets on your nerves but that's about it.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:23 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
I've been to Arizona many times, and if I'm going to hesitate (all white bar) it will be there not in Detroit. The racism in Detroit is more the passive aggressive kind, it gets on your nerves but that's about it.
Hmmm...that's an interesting take on it.

I find Arizona to be basically devoid of any real race issues with the exception of the whole illegal Mexican thing. But a lot of the really crazy bars are biker bars since biker culture is HUGE out here, and you have to be careful about what bar you walk into.

Detroit is different. Yea, it is sort of passive aggressive but the bar culture there is much more raucous, folks drink a hell of a lot more, and bigger drunks say dumber stuff. Alcohol tends to bring out honesty. That could mean trouble if you get a certain type of white/black guy. I appreciate glibness, but some things i just can't let slide....and i'm not smart enough to just back off.

So in essence, i usually just avoid bars altogether unless it has familiar clientele.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:31 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
I am pretty liberal but I would feel uncomfortable in an all black bar. I might go to one with an older crowd and with what they call "old school" R and B but I would not go to a bar full of young ones with rap playing.
Looks like you're following Derbyshire rule number #10d

Quote:
(10d) Do not attend events likely to draw a lot of blacks.
http://takimag.com/article/the_talk_...#ixzz1rUUkuV9S

Old 04-08-2012, 04:40 PM

210 posts, read 251,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
tthis is why clubs have implemented strict dresscodes everywhere else
And browsers and forums have implemented spell a check feature for drunk people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies