Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:43 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
I don't doubt there is some black or white klan around.

I know if I went into some black bars I'd at least come out injured if not dead, so there is enough of this to go around and none of it is acceptable IMO.
How do you KNOW it? You'd start something or start bumpin' ya gums due to a little more booze than you can handle?

Yea, then the jump-off will occur. Especially if you're the type that likes to sell wolf tickets under the influence. But if you go in, mind your business, and have your drinks in a casual fashion, you won't have any problems.

I know of more than a few black owned bars in the Detroit area and there are whites drinking in them all the time. They have no problems because they know how to act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 11:19 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
I couldn't google up any news articles about this incident. Otherwise, a search for Raywick, KY got me the wikipedia page for that town, and it's a tiny one.

Quote:
As of the census[2] of 2000, there were 144 people, 59 households, and 44 families residing in the city. .
Otherwise, I feel that bars of a certain small size should be allowed to have some say into what type of clientele and atmosphere that they want. Surely in a town that small and with probably only one bar is probably a "neighborhood bar" that services their local townsfolk. I don't think that it's my right or anyone else's to gather a bunch of friends and try to change the inside atmosphere of it.

I wouldn't consider forcing myself into try to change the atmosphere of a biker bar, gay bar or sports bar. Let the townies have their regular bar to hang out at. And the young people in that video looked like the type who could easily get into their cars and go find someplace that they'd be more at home at.

And I wasn't impressed with the young black man with his blingy earring and big chain necklace. And the crowd who were probably acting up more because they were on video camera were way too quick to use the race card. How about they were plain too obnoxious to let into that establishment? And what bouncer wants to let in a bunch of rowdy people with chips on their shoulders who will most likely become louder and more ill-behaved once they start drinking alcohol???

I feel sorry for those young people who only think that it's the colour of someone's skin that is causing them to be blocked from entering that bar. What I see is that poor behaviour and bad choice of dressing up is what is more the issue here. I'd suggest being polite and nice to the door people of any nightclub or bar, and also dressing appropriately as the better way to gain entrance.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:27 AM

835 posts, read 1,040,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Otherwise, I feel that bars of a certain small size should be allowed to have some say into what type of clientele and atmosphere that they want. Surely in a town that small and with probably only one bar is probably a "neighborhood bar" that services their local townsfolk. I don't think that it's my right or anyone else's to gather a bunch of friends and try to change the inside atmosphere of it.
You would have loved the 50s. You would have fit right in with those people.
If you feel that bars should be allowed to reject some because of their race.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:46 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
I didn't say that some bars could ban some because of their race. In my post, I pointed out that imo the black person being barred was being barred due to obnoxious attitude and the way he was dressed. The whole group of those young men (both black and white) looked and acted like young punks, who once they started drinking alcohol, would be troublemakers to the other customers already in the bar.

From what I saw in the video, the bouncers were only being pro-active about keeping their bar atmosphere inside calm and pleasant to all of their patrons.

I feel that if you dress and behave in a way that is compatible with the theme of the bar or club and show that you are willing to act nicely to the rest of the bar or club clientele and management, then yes, you should have access to that place. The other paying and regular customers of the bar should not have to put up with obnoxious acting newcomers.

It takes a lot of work and effort to run a bar or club. And liquor licenses cost a lot of money. Also bars are liable for damages caused by drunk and ill-behaved customers. They value their regular well behaved customers and want their continued loyalty. So why shouldn't bar and club owners have control over who they let in through their doors?

And if you don't like the way the bar or club conducts their business, then go ahead and open up your own liquor serving establishment.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:11 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
Bars obstruct entry and kick people out all the time for not being the type of people they want inside. Heck, look at the clubs who won't let you in if you are fat and ugly or poorly dressed etc.

I don't know if it was racial or not, just pointing out the obvious.

There is a whole club district in downtown KC that has a dress code that bans a whole lot of "urban attire" because they don't want gang members dragging the area down.

There have been a couple major businesses in the KC area that got a bad element tarnishing the place and the places went bankrupt. This can apply to people of any race, depends how they are dressed, acting and so forth.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:40 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,934,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
No surprise that this would happen in kentucky, a conservative christian state.
Kentucky has just a ton of democrats, more than republicans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Winning against the rightwing. Same people who now hate Obama,hate Trayvons family wants justice, hates any and every black voice are the same people who wanted to keep slavery,wanted to keep jim crow and so forth. Yet they lost everytime
Do you even know your own history?

Do you know it was republicans that ended slavery?

It was republicans that voted for the Civil Rights Act. If not for them, the racist democrats would have kept blacks in slavery.....oh wait.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:02 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,750,310 times
[quote=desertdetroiter;23778787]How do you KNOW it? You'd start something or start bumpin' ya gums due to a little more booze than you can handle?

Yea, then the jump-off will occur. Especially if you're the type that likes to sell wolf tickets under the influence. But if you go in, mind your business, and have your drinks in a casual fashion, you won't have any problems.

I know of more than a few black owned bars in the Detroit area and there are whites drinking in them all the time.
Quote:
They have no problems because they know how to act.[/
No, they are regulars and are known and accepted, try to go in a stranger. You will be veiwed as a snitch or a narc.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:36 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
[quote=Ghostrider275452;23782877]
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
How do you KNOW it? You'd start something or start bumpin' ya gums due to a little more booze than you can handle?

I know of more than a few black owned bars in the Detroit area and there are whites drinking in them all the time.No, they are regulars and are known and accepted, try to go in a stranger. You will be veiwed as a snitch or a narc.
Any neighborhood bar where the people are clannish are extremely wary of stangers that they've never seen before.

If i go in a bar in Irish South Boston where the locals like to pour a few, when i walk in, all eyes will be on me....and for good reason. I might be a cop, or some sort of interloper. They'll be naturally wary. Doesn't mean that i'll get killed, but i definitely don't wanna say the wrong thing or start asking dumbass questions that might get my ass kicked. Hell...thats ANYWHERE!! I'm not scared to go into a place like that, but i'd damn sure think twice and if i did enter, i'd mine my P's and Q's. And i'm certainly not gonna hit on the local girls! That's dumb. You're asking for it.

Look, i have street sense, and you probably don't. So there's the difference. So yea, stay out of black bars. Especially if you can't hold your liquor.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:03 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,854,786 times
[quote=desertdetroiter;23783390]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post

Any neighborhood bar where the people are clannish are extremely wary of stangers that they've never seen before.

If i go in a bar in Irish South Boston where the locals like to pour a few, when i walk in, all eyes will be on me....and for good reason. I might be a cop, or some sort of interloper. They'll be naturally wary. Doesn't mean that i'll get killed, but i definitely don't wanna say the wrong thing or start asking dumbass questions that might get my ass kicked. Hell...thats ANYWHERE!! I'm not scared to go into a place like that, but i'd damn sure think twice and if i did enter, i'd mine my P's and Q's. And i'm certainly not gonna hit on the local girls! That's dumb. You're asking for it.

Look, i have street sense, and you probably don't. So there's the difference. So yea, stay out of black bars. Especially if you can't hold your liquor.
Nailed it. A larger club is more apt to serve a mixed demographic. Smaller neighborhood bars can get away with things a larger bar cannot. After all those bars are there to serve that neighborhood.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:50 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,750,310 times
[quote=desertdetroiter;23783390]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post

It depends on what you mean by street sense. I am street smart to some extent, but maybe not the version you speak of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies