Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 03:52 PM

409 posts, read 254,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Because it's a great place to live, that's why. I'd live there too if they had decent winters.

why is it a great place to live?Just from a statistical glance it has high property taxes, highest sales tax in the country, corrupt politicians, some of the highest murder and violent crime rates in the country. I've been there a few times and there's no place to park most of the time and the drivers are aggressive and terrible. Liberal utopia lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 03:52 PM

210 posts, read 251,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Must have been that white guy from Tulsa who drove to Chicago.

But seriously... what is up with Chicago lately ? It has more crime then Detroit. Is there a drug war going on ?
Chicago is a gang city, the most established gang city in the United States, even more so than LA so there's always calm and storm. Detroit is more consistently violent than Chicago but when the gangs get into it with each other in Chicago the hood there changes from peaceful to hell on earth. Theres always a cooling down period, but than the gangs go back to getting revenge against each other. It's a cycle and culture of violence.

Last edited by Razorblade; 04-08-2012 at 04:01 PM..

Old 04-08-2012, 03:57 PM

409 posts, read 254,428 times
a whole section dedicated to the insane amount of violent crime in chicago

Breaking news - chicagotribune.com

Old 04-08-2012, 04:01 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
I'm actually sadden that people think 17 people being shot in an American city during one day is a non-event. What's even more troubling is that many of the people are Black.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:03 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,169,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
why is it a great place to live?Just from a statistical glance it has high property taxes, highest sales tax in the country, corrupt politicians, some of the highest murder and violent crime rates in the country. I've been there a few times and there's no place to park most of the time and the drivers are aggressive and terrible. Liberal utopia lol
I don't base my existence on things like sales tax. Chicago is a beautiful city, with nice people all over.

I don't know when you came to Chicago, but your view is distorted.

And I doubt liberals like violent crime either, so way to say something completely false. And this is coming from someone vehemently against liberal ideals.

Last edited by shpanda; 04-08-2012 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: I don't... heh

Old 04-08-2012, 04:09 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm actually sadden that people think 17 people being shot in an American city during one day is a non-event. What's even more troubling is that many of the people are Black.
Why? What race did you want them to be?

Old 04-08-2012, 04:10 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
Ehhh....go have dinner at Applebee's or Outback or something and let me be.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:33 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Most of the city isn't violent. Chicago's a beautiful city along the lake. Most of it is very clean and it boast some of the best architecture in the country. Chicago has more than it's share of problems, but it has a lot of things going for it.

There are neighborhoods in the city that really are war zones. A few summers back I believe there were 35 people shot in one weekend. 5 or 6 died. It's sad that Americans simply don't care about the people living in these neighborhoods. We send billions in foreign aid to other countries but can't even provide aide for people living in some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the world.
I agree with the first paragraph but take issue with your last sentence. What sort of "aid" are these people being denied? I'm sure the majority of them are on welfare, food stamps, section 8, medicaid, etc... How much more money do we throw at the problem? At some point, these people need to make the conscious choice to take the aid they are given and rise above their surroundings. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:37 PM

210 posts, read 251,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why? What race did you want them to be?
Green, green people are low down dirty bastards that need to be wiped off the face of the earth.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:56 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Just leave them alone. Eventually they will kill off each other.
If thugs only killed other thugs that would be perfectly acceptable. Unfortunately they don't care about other people at all and kill innocent bystanders sometimes too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies