Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 04:54 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,635,789 times

Advertisements

Conservatives seem to have a problem with sanctuary cities and their policies. I want to know what libertarians think of sanctuary policies. Are they against or consistent with libertarianism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 05:13 PM

136 posts, read 84,968 times
I consider myself a Libertarian and I am against them personally.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:16 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,635,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
I consider myself a Libertarian and I am against them personally.
Why?

They are libertarian policies.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:28 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,134,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Why?

not really, make the law legal, open the border and then you have Libertarian policies.

also, no drug laws are Libertarian policies, I dont see alot of states doing that.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:31 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,789,353 times
Quote:
Why?

To paraphrase Milton Friedman, you can have open borders or you can have a welfare state. You can't have both.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:34 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,134,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
To paraphrase Milton Friedman, you can have open borders or you can have a welfare state. You can't have both.

would rather have open borders than having any welfare at all.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:35 PM

136 posts, read 84,968 times
Quote:
Why?

Because illegals broke the law to come here in the first place. I am a Ron Paul type Libertarian not a bleeding heart Libertarian.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:37 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,294,698 times
Sanctuary cities end up paying billions in $$ to educate, house, feed, and provide medical care to illegals. I don't think too many Libertarians would complain about illegals if they were self supporting, but the vast majority are not.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:43 PM

18,414 posts, read 15,113,085 times
Quote:
Conservatives seem to have a problem with sanctuary cities and their policies. I want to know what libertarians think of sanctuary policies. Are they against or consistent with libertarianism?
I think if you are a very strict Libertarian, you are for open borders as that would indicate a truly free market. That said, one free market principle cannot work when all other free market principles are ignored. For example, in the old days when we had open borders, there was no medicaid, food stamps, welfare, free education, etc. You came here, and you had to either sink or swim. That was a free market.

If you want to offer "help" to your "underprivileged" citizens, you are removing free market checks and balances that make it impossible to afford the unlimited underprivileged people coming from the rest of the world.

A strict Libertarian would have us open the borders, BUT at the same time, remove all entitlement programs.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:50 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,772,743 times
Quote:
Why?

^^^The OP needs to back up this claim with some facts and links.^^^ It has been my observation that most sanctuary cities have Democrat mayors. Though frankly, if the OP wants to make this about political parties, both the (D)s and the (R)s have an abominable record on upholding our immigration laws.

As a Constitutional Conservative which appears to be the libertarian leaning side of the GOP abhorred by Rick Santorum I do not agree with the "sanctuary city/state policies".

It is within the Constitutional powers of the federal government to set immigration laws. Those need to be adhered to and enforced until such a time as the laws can be changed. Sanctuary policies by cities and states fly in the face of the federal laws every bit as does the federal government's choice to pick and choose which immigration laws it is willing to enforce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies