Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 03:15 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
we can find a study that will connect anything with anything if we try hard enough.

It sure seems that way.
I've seen studies that say that there is a possible link between autism and the age of the father, possible links to other family members with auto-immune disorders, genetic abnormalities and so forth.

I am glad that so much research is being done, but, I wouldn't draw any definitive conclusions from one study.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 03:18 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Jenny McCarthy isn't obese. What caused autism in her case?
Didn't Jenny McCarthy say that now her son is "cured"?
and/or that he never had autism to begin with?

How quick we are to slap a label on children anymore. And pump them full of drugs.

Not necessarily in all autism cases, nor "all" of any cases, but often enough.
We so need to rethink how we approach disease, disorders, "syndromes," and so on in this country.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:27 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Do you understand statistics?
Yes. I took college courses in statistics.

Quote:
Just because obesity increases the likely hood it doesn't mean every non-obese mother will not have a autistic kid.
No, but the study is still important nonetheless, because it suggests a possible root cause or causes, such as diet, vitamins, etc etc etc.

It also suggests that other factors, such as Phatbody Diabetes (Diabetes Type II) and hypertension can have an affect, perhaps by interfering with hormones necessary for development.

Funny how there was a time just 50 years ago when, um, "health insurance" didn't even cover child-birth or pregnancy, and yet the child mortality rate was lower, and the incidence of many diseases and conditions that are prevalent now did not exist.

Statistically...

Mircea

Old 04-09-2012, 04:51 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,104,724 times
This is just another example of money being wasted on a study.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:03 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,059 times
Obese women are more likely to have birth problems and caesarians, another factor linked to autism. Older mothers also tend to be overweight. In either case, I believe the obesity link is one step removed from the actual environmental cause.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:10 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,510 times
Quote:
More person anecdotes, I give up. You guys really need to learn what statistics means.
Perhaps you need to learn that anecdotal evidence IS evidence. When a million folks do the same exact thing and get the same exact result, it then becomes glaringly likely that we have something to seriously consider.

I say this because vaccines are indeed a likely culprit.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:14 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,104,724 times
Let me spell this out for everybody. Fat people, both male and female, have more health problems, shorter life spans and unhealthier children. This can affect children before and after they are born in more ways you can think of. Eat right and exercise and try not to be fat. There. Now we don't have to waste any more money doing studies to try to find every possible way that being fat affects human being in a negative way.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:18 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
Let me spell this out for everybody. Fat people, both male and female, have more health problems, shorter life spans and unhealthier children. This can affect children before and after they are born in more ways you can think of. Eat right and exercise and try not to be fat. There. Now we don't have to waste any more money doing studies to try to find every possible way that being fat affects human being in a negative way.
Yeah! and after fixing the fat problem we then can see that we did not fix this Autism tragedy. Fat may or may not play a role. The barrage of shots dang sure does.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:06 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
The barrage of shots dang sure does.
Millions of children are vaccinated without issue.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:13 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
we can find a study that will connect anything with anything if we try hard enough.
This just in: coffee drinking linked to autism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies