Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 03:33 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post

You cannot control human behavior thru legislation. You may be able to pursuade it a small amount , but never control it.
The biggest reason is that we fall short on the consequences.

There consequences are laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 03:34 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuman View Post
Why do people who claim this title always end up voting for fiscally liberal/socially liberal people?
Why does your social liberalism trump fiscal conservatism?
Well, that's kind of a crock. I'd vote for Ron Paul in a heartbeat.

Here's the deal. If you really care about human freedom, then you vote this way, because both positions are essentially about limiting the power of government.

The fiscal conservative fights for the limitation of government growth, as well as the mission creep of government. For government sucks up economic resources and economic growth, whether it is social programs or defense spending. The taxation burden prevents people from having control over their own economic lives.

Meanwhile, the social liberal also fights for the limitation of government growth, specifically the issues over which government feels it can limit the behavior of its citizens. Therefore, gay marriage, birth control, etc. are just not the government's business, which means that the majority simply cannot legislate away activities that it does not approve of. I mean, I don't smoke pot, but I have yet to hear any kind of coherent argument on why it should be outlawed.

The conflict here becomes when the social liberal see government as a great agent to inflict social change on society, rather than rely on shaping public opinion through informed debate. A great example of this is the willingness to trample the 1st Amendment, forcing Catholic institutions to offer birth control, even though it flat conflicts Catholic doctrine.

Mind you, I'm not Catholic. I don't agree with the church's opinion on birth control. I think it's a bunch of hooey. But I also don't agree with the state's right to make what are essentially doctrinal decisions on the part of religious institutions. Yet, that is exactly what is happening. As a member of a church with female clergy, I don't agree with denominations that only allow men in the pulpit. But the minute you start applying this kind of overbearing governmental involvement in the realm of religious matters, the minute the Baptists or the Catholics or the Church of God become sitting ducks for an EEOC lawsuit, regardless of what the church beliefs might be.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:55 PM

417 posts, read 365,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
No, they cannot. If they are socially liberal they support ever-increasing government social programs, which means an ever-increasing cost to the taxpayer. A social liberal is exactly the opposite of a fiscal conservative. Anyone who supports Social Security, MediCare/MedicAid, or any another other government social program cannot be a fiscal conservative by definition.

Well obviously there are extremes, as you just pointed out... I'd say most people who identify with fiscal conservatisim support a cut back on government programs and spendings but not fully. Just like if you are socially liberal that doesn't mean you have to support a womans right to have an abortion minutes before she is due to give birth.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:03 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuman View Post
Why do people who claim this title always end up voting for fiscally liberal/socially liberal people?
Why does your social liberalism trump fiscal conservatism?
I don't.

My fiscal conservatism will trump my social liberalism.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Because fiscally conservative and socially liberal is an oxymoron. One cannot be fiscally conservative while being socially liberal. It is a contradiction.

Not true at all. Libertarians are fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

And I know a lot of people who are Libertarians.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
A social conservative typicaly wants to control other peoples lives . " because thats what god would want"
Unfortunately, Democrat politicians also want to control our lives... maybe because that's what they want.

For example, Obama is a fiscal liberal and social conservative. He loves big government and out of control spending. But he has not supported any meaningful social liberalization initiatives.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
What makes you think Michelle Obama is a social conservative?
What makes you think she is not? Has she supported legalizing drugs? Legalizing prostitution? Legalizing gambling? No!

Old 04-09-2012, 05:19 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKrunner88 View Post
Well obviously there are extremes, as you just pointed out... I'd say most people who identify with fiscal conservatisim support a cut back on government programs and spendings but not fully. Just like if you are socially liberal that doesn't mean you have to support a womans right to have an abortion minutes before she is due to give birth.
I am not referring to the extremes. As you correctly pointed out, in general terms, a fiscal conservative is someone who wants government to be fiscally responsible, to cut taxes and the scope of government. That position is directly at odds with any one who claims to be a social liberal. Social liberals do not care about costs, or taxes, or the scope of government. They want their social programs at any cost - like ObamaCare. They are not concerned about costs, the impact on citizens, or the size and scope of government, as long as they get their social programs.

Which is why nobody can be a fiscal conservative and a social liberal. They are diametrically opposed positions. Only by being something other than a fiscal conservative can they be a social liberal. Anyone who is a social liberal cannot be even remotely conservative.

Anyone who claims they want government-based social programs without being a fiscal burden to the taxpayer is lying through their teeth.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:25 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Not true at all. Libertarians are fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

And I know a lot of people who are Libertarians.
Every knows Libertarians are really just closet anarchists. Nobody takes them seriously.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:28 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Quote:
Which is why nobody can be a fiscal conservative and a social liberal. They are diametrically opposed positions.
This is the strangest idea I have seen in print in a long time.

The mere assertion that general positions which exist in a spectrum can be "diametrically opposed" betrays a profound confusion regarding the nature of political ideology on one hand, and geometry on the other. The moderate combination of fiscal conservatism and social liberalism is in fact the defining characteristic of the American political center.

And this accounts in no small measure for the proliferation of people who identify themselves as political independents, as neither major party has proven capable of embracing that demographic.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies