Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:32 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
And the guy in the house didn't know that either. And he had zero seconds to decide - they were already kicking down his door, and there were several of them.

How was the guy in the house to know they weren't several heavily armed tough guys who wouldn't hesitate to kill him and his son?

What did he owe these burglars, that he had to give them the chance to shoot first if they were armd (a very real possibility), basically giving them and extra chance to kill him? In whose, warped, demented mind would that be "fair"... as though fairness were even an issue here???

The guy in the house was fully justified in opening fire. Maybe the three thugs should have thought of that before kicking down his door.

And if they don't like the results of their actions, then maybe they shouldn't go around kicking in people's doors, eh?
From the article it sounds like they didn't kick down his door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 10:33 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
I am translating what the OP is getting at.
I also see that you went back and edited your post to say "kid" instead of your original "coon."

Why is that?

Old 04-09-2012, 10:36 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
From the article it sounds like they didn't kick down his door.
Quote:
Investigators said the three young people rang the front doorbell of Lee Cobler's home in the 7300 block of Vallejo Drive. When no one answered, they went around the back and started trying to kick the door in.
Watch the video... there were shoe prints on the back door.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:44 PM

513 posts, read 580,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Shirley Starks of a home owners association...commented and to para phrase...."Mr Cobler made the right choice (firing his gun) in protecting his CHILD".....

Meanwhile the local media state that Cobler was at home with his ADULT son...already things are getting twisted and that protecting the babies thing is coming out....when there was no child in the house...

Someone is already spinning and confusing the account of the incident...I am sure someone bashing in your back door does not give you much time to evaluate the treat...Probably when these children saw that the house was not empty they would have turn and fled....Guns are to readily available in America...What ever happened to the command "stop or I will shoot" Shooting and asking questions later seems to be a trend.......This might have been handle with a common old fashioned punch in the little hooligans face...unfortunate...The last thing these kid were expecting to face was a bullet.
Maybe because most people know that if they hesitate they only give the intruder an opportunity to shoot them first. Who's life takes precedence the homeowner or the intruder? During home invasions, should homeowners allow intruders a free shot for the sake of fairness? If the punk didn't want to open himself up to the possibility of being shot, he shouldn't have broken into someone else's home.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:45 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I also see that you went back and edited your post to say "kid" instead of your original "coon."

Why is that?

I too noticed this. When i read what he wrote, i was appaled. These kids should really think of the condequences of breaking into ones home, these days, many homeowners own guns. Sad, but what the hell is a 14 yr old doing breaking into someones home.
Breaking into someone's home there is a chance, they are armed, and your going to to be shot or killed.

They need to be concentrating on the things that should matter to a 14 yr old.

Last edited by california-jewel; 04-09-2012 at 11:12 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 10:46 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
14 years old. Juvi is filled with 14 yearold violent criminals.
Multiple players????
breaking into a mans home.
The questions the man was asking himself.
How many are out there?
Are they armed?
What are their intentions?
In his shoes I would have shot them down like the rabid lawless scum they were.
I shed no tears for the criminal.
He was 14.. Read the news 14 year olds are doing plenty of violent crimes these days. He wasn't an innocent choir boy selling cookies.
The criminal earned his reward. The real shame is that the criminals parents wont be held accountable for raising this thug.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:47 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
Maybe because most people know that if they hesitate they only give the intruder an opportunity to shoot them first. Who's life takes precedence the homeowner or the intruder? During home invasions, should homeowners allow intruders a free shot for the sake of fairness? If the punk didn't want to open himself up to the possibility of being shot, he shouldn't have broken into someone else's home.
I wouldn't take pleasure in shooting a 14 year old kid, but if you take part in a home invasion, all bets are off. That is completely different than following someone, confronting them, getting into a fight, and busting a cap in them when you being to lose the fight

Old 04-09-2012, 10:50 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
There are many home invasions by armed Thugs who kick in your door. You must assume someone kicking in the door to your home is there to do you and your family harm. It happens multiple times daily.
If it was a "home invasion" and not an attempted burglary, then why would they ring the doorbell? The only reason they would ring the bell is to make sure the home was vacant. We don't know what happened, but this is probably a justifiable homicide. I just think that if the owner heard the doorbell and then took out his gun and waited for the teenager to kick it in, as the article claims, he didn't care if they were armed or just looking for beer. Of course I'm not saying a homeowner shouldn't defend his own property. I just don't think in many cases killing a person is necessary. This kid was somebody's child and he messed up.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:51 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Shirley Starks of a home owners association...commented and to para phrase...."Mr Cobler made the right choice (firing his gun) in protecting his CHILD".....

Meanwhile the local media state that Cobler was at home with his ADULT son...already things are getting twisted and that protecting the babies thing is coming out....when there was no child in the house...

Someone is already spinning and confusing the account of the incident...I am sure someone bashing in your back door does not give you much time to evaluate the treat...Probably when these children saw that the house was not empty they would have turn and fled....Guns are to readily available in America...What ever happened to the command "stop or I will shoot" Shooting and asking questions later seems to be a trend.......This might have been handle with a common old fashioned punch in the little hooligans face...unfortunate...The last thing these kid were expecting to face was a bullet.
What ever happened to a man's home is his castle? The castle doctrine?
What ever happened to respecting the property and rights of others?
Children? Define children. To me children are innocent and have no malice or evil in thier hearts.
What ever happened to stop or I'll shoot? Thats for cops and or the movies. The better question you need to ask is what ever happened to respecting another persons property and or privacy?
What can I say? Crime is a dangerous business. LOL

Old 04-09-2012, 10:52 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,922 times
The pacific northwest does not know what that word means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post

Why is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies