Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 11:52 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,445,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
Yes, you are right about the terminology. But the point is crimes against humanity can and do still occur despite how "unlikely" they may be, or how much we just can't imagine them happening in our modern day.
Crimes against humanity are usually the excuse for ambitious and unprincipled people to create other crimes against humanity.

None of the children who burned to death in Germany in 1940-45 because of Allied bombing had a thing to do with the death camps. Just as none of the children who starved or were gassed in the concentration camps in 1939-45 had a thing to do with Bolshevism. And few of the millions killed in the Russian Civil War had a thing to do with Czarism. And few of the Jews persecuted by the Czars were bomb-throwing terrorists. And if you fold history back further and further, the same thing remains true. War punishes the innocent; it empowers the guilty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 11:53 AM

20,599 posts, read 19,261,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
If the Zionists keep it up next time it'll be justified.
They had a hand in the first one. Their priority was the creation of the state of Israel and European antisemtism proved very useful. I have no idea if they wanted it to go as far as it did, but the aftermath of WWII sure won them the internal civil war against Jews who were against a manufactured Jewish state in lieu of what they regard as a true messianic restoration.

The fear of or even manifestation of antisemitism is the primary tool used to encourage immigration to Israel. The other fear is that of assimilation.

"One Cow in Palestine is worth more than all the Jews in Poland"

Old 04-10-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
You can't think of anything that makes the Middle East strategically important?
You can't think of a reason, the same reason in fact, that makes supporting Israel a big effing liability?

Old 04-10-2012, 11:55 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,428,422 times
To me it is abhorrent that he is invoking the Holocaust when discussing a current political issue between two countries. Israel is not a minority group that is being persecuted as the Jews were in WWII, it is a sovereign country. The correct word for the Israel/Iran conflict would be "war" not "holocaust." Both are bad things, but it is wrong to conflate one with the other.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
Instead of trivializing one, maybe we should inflate the others so they don't seem quite so normal in your eyes.
Instead of either, let's make the priority keeping our own people safe.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:57 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,878,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The amount of people killed in Syria is dwarfed by what happened to the Jews in Nazi Germany.

I said, in my post, that genocide is still a very modern problem, but I doubt that it will ever occur on the level it did under the Germans.
The Chinese killed 40 MILLION of their own, I would say that eclipses what happened to the Jews by a long shot. I would also add that Stalin killed more people than the Germans did, it comes down to knowing your history and not just the areas some people tend to focus on.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:59 AM

20,599 posts, read 19,261,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Is it possible to over-inflate the attempted intentional genocide of an entire race?

36 Questions About the Holocaust (1-18)

There are those who deny the Holocaust and those who would like the world to just forget it happened so that it will be easier to repeat.

Better make that races. They were trying to commit genocide on many of the Slavic races as well. They surrounded and starved a million people in Leningrad alone.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:59 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,322,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
The Chinese killed 40 MILLION of their own, I would say that eclipses what happened to the Jews by a long shot. I would also add that Stalin killed more people than the Germans did, it comes down to knowing your history and not just the areas some people tend to focus on.
Those weren't directed at one specific ethnic group though. Yeah, Stalin probably wins the prize for the biggest mass murderer, but it wasn't genocide.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Those weren't directed at one specific ethnic group though. Yeah, Stalin probably wins the prize for the biggest mass murderer, but it wasn't genocide.
What does it matter if it's an ethnic group or not? A life is a life.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:03 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,720,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I am not even saying that there are not antisemitic views in neighboring countries. But then again, that is not necessarily their fault. I guess Israel is unfortunately not rational and objective enough to look at the whole history of the Middle East mess, there is always that religious delusion in the background that makes people on both sides think some god is on their side.

If I were in charge in Israel, I would first bring about a fair solution to the Palestine problem, which is at the core of the hostilities, and at the same time I would start exchange programs with Iran and other such nations. When people meet people and show good will, they can bring about miracles. Often it is only the first step people are afraid of as nobody wants to appear gentle in that region where often there still is an old-testament kind of mentality.

Well put. I agree.

The article seemed like when dogs do fear aggression. We are nervous, so we will start saber rattling. I like your approach better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies