Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 03:24 PM

791 posts, read 2,223,005 times

Advertisements

From the Hamas TV channel Al Aqsa TV, Palestinian Legislative Council Speaker Ahmad Bahr refers to Jews as “brothers of apes and pigs,” and calls for Israel to be wiped out.

On the other hand,from the U.N. ...
Quote:
GENEVA (Reuters) (broken link) - The United Nations investigator on racism on Friday condemned a rising trend of Islamaphobia, especially in Europe, where he said it was being exploited by some right-wing political parties.
Is the U.S., as a nation, becoming Islamophobic? Are you? Does anyone care? Is Israel using heavy-handed tactics to control the world, or its markets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 03:33 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post
Is the U.S., as a nation, becoming Islamophobic? Are you? Does anyone care? Is Israel using heavy-handed tactics to control the world, or its markets?
lol, hell yeah we are. I don't think I am, but I don't know, haven't really asked anyone if they were muslim so idk if I would be. I like to think I wouldn't be, but it's always possible. It's alarming that the US is going that way, but not suprised either.

Countries don't have morals, they have intrests.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:40 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
well considering jews and muslims claim to both descend from abraham... thats not exactly a good thing of them to say...

Old 09-14-2007, 04:03 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
I don't know about the US, but yes, I am becoming Islamophobic--and I don't like feling this way. It's just that the case for "a religion of peace" is so convoluted, and the case for a "bloodthirsty, violent creed" is so convincing, that common sense just keeps kicking in, much as I try to fight it.

I've read up on Islam, even took a course in "world religions" some time ago, and it seems that Islam is the only religion in which extensive, long-winded explanations are needed to explain to "us" that "Islam isn't REALLY bloodthirsty, vengeful, violent, or misogynistic...that's just the way you SEE it". Well, perhaps so---I've also got my own ideas about child molesters and murderers and wife-beaters, as well---and it takes a lot of 'verbage' to explain THEIR positions to me, too.

I happened upon a very interesting radio interview some months ago, purely by chance. An author was being interviewed who had the decidedly unorthodox view that "The Simpsons",(a cartoon TV show) obviously coarse, vulgar, and irreverent, actually gave religion a 'voice' (!).-unlike almost any other cartoon show, where religion is never mentioned at all.
The author went on to explain that his two little daughters had wanted to watch the show, pleading with "dad" until he finally agreed--they could watch it, but only with him-

He was amazed, as the weeks went by, that "The Simpsons" actually went out of its way to mention religion--in an irreverent way, of course, but mentioned it nonetheless. "Bart" sometimes 'said his prayers' when he was in trouble. Homer sometimes attended Church, and so did Mom. A neighbor's daughter had converted to Buddhism, and that was addressed. There was even a stereotypical old Jew who "acted Jewish" (and comical)--yet, a Rabbi who conferred with the show's writers could see nothing overtly offensive. Same thing with the Catholics, and their rosaries and crucifixes--unflattering sterotypes, perhaps, but the show wasn't really "anti-Catholic", nor was there any serious problem with the 'bible-thumper' characters.

You probably guessed the rest. Yes, at the end of the interview, someone inquired "What about Muslims ? Are there any Muslim characters?" An uncomfortable pause was followed by the admission that no, to the author's knowledge, "The Simpsons" had never shown an overtly "muslim" character, either flattering or unflattering. It was suggested that perhaps, at a future date, some "muslim scholar" might be consulted to introduce such a character--but it didn't sound too convincing.

At the end of the interview, one was left with the inescapable feeling that perhaps the show's writers and producers simply wanted to 'have fun', and weren't particularly interested in spending the rest of their lives in hiding. Perhaps they thought of the fate Salman Rushdie--or the 'Danish Cartoon' debacle. I don't know, and they didn't say it--and I'm not even a "Simpsons" fan. But the interview didn't make me feel any better about Islam. There's just something about that group, I think, that's totally incompatible with living in a free and open society, and I see VERY little evidence to refute this statement, Frankly, they 'scare' me, and I guess that makes me 'phobic'. Wish I could be sure that I'm wrong.....

Old 09-14-2007, 08:15 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,825 times
You seem to be blaming a whole third or so of the human race for the actions of a small minority of their people, though... most Muslims (and most people throughout the world, regardless of religion) are peaceful people who don't murder, rape, pillage, etc.

"But the Quran tells Muslims to do these horrible things!" people always respond... the Old Testament of the Bible tells people to do horrible things, too, but that doesn't lead most to believe that Christianity and Judaism are violent religions (although they have been in the past)... and I assume the next argument will be "but why haven't Muslims denounced terrorism?" which can easily be discredited by doing a quick Google search, which I will do in a minute.

Or maybe I'm not reading your mind right...

Old 09-14-2007, 08:21 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,825 times
These are the first four links that came up from the aforementioned google search

Dove's Eye View: Muslims Denounce Terrorism

Statement Rejecting Terrorism - Center for the Study of Islam & Democracy (CSID) (http://www.islam-democracy.org/terrorism_statement.asp - broken link)

Muslims against terrorism and extremism: Free Muslims Coalition

The American Muslim (TAM)

Apparently all these people belong to a bloodthirsty, violent creed and should be ashamed of theirselves... just look at the bloodthirsty, violent beliefs of American Muslims!

"At the same time, Muslims in the United States are widely concerned about Islamic
extremism, and express strong disapproval of terrorists and their tactics. In fact, about three-
quarters (76%) say they are very or somewhat concerned about the rise of Islamic extremism
around the world, and 61% say they are concerned about the possible rise of Islamic extremism
in the U.S. Similarly, more than three-in-four say that suicide bombing in defense of Islam is
never justified, and just 5% express favorable views of al Qaeda. On the question of the Israeli-
Palestinian conflict, most Muslims in the U.S say that a way can be found for Israel to exist so
that the rights and needs of Palestinians are met, a view that is not shared by Muslims in
predominantly Muslim countries."

This is from a Pew Research center survey, I forgot to copy the link but you can look it up pretty easily...

So... those bloodthirsty, violent Muslims in America are generally

A. Opposed to Islamic extremism

B. Scared of Islamic extremism

C. Opposed to bloodthirsty violence in the name of Islam

D. Opposed to and scared of bloodthirsty violence committed by Al Quaeda in the name of Islamic extremism

Those bloodthirsty, violent Muslims are so amazingly violent & bloodthirsty! Is it disconcerting to know that a considerable minority of Muslims think suicide bombings in the defense of Islam could possibly be justified in some situations? Yes it is, but not enough to categorize the whole religion as a "violent, bloodthirsty creed." I wonder how many fundamentalist Christians in America would think millitary action in defense of Christianity could be justified in some situations? Eric Robert Rudolph wouldn't have evaded the government for so long without his hillbilly support base.

Last edited by fishmonger; 09-14-2007 at 08:37 PM..

Old 09-14-2007, 08:55 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I don't know about the US, but yes, I am becoming Islamophobic--and I don't like feling this way. It's just that the case for "a religion of peace" is so convoluted, and the case for a "bloodthirsty, violent creed" is so convincing, that common sense just keeps kicking in, much as I try to fight it.
I for one am becoming religophobic as I am forced to stand by and watch all those who profess peace and love in their native religions to slaughter one another, you folks are welcome to it.

Between Muslim fanatics, Christian tribulationist, and Jewish supremacist this world need not bother worry about pandemics, asteroids, global warming or worldwide famine, you will all kill one another soon enough... I for one want to part in your folks notions of peace and love.

"We're not attacking Islam but Islam has attacked us. The God of Islam is not the same God. He's not the son of God of the Christian or Judeo-Christian faith. It's a different God, and I believe it [Islam] is a very evil and wicked religion." - Franklin Graham on NBC

"We must use terror, assassination, intimidation, land confiscation, and the cutting of all social services to rid the Galilee of its Arab population." - Israel Koenig, "The Koenig Memorandum"

"Our hatred for the Jews dates from God's condemnation of them for their persecution and rejection of Isa (Jesus Christ), and their subsequent rejection later of His chosen Prophet."
- H.R.H King Abdul Aziz Ibn Saud of Saudi Arabia

One could spend a lifetime quoting hate speech from every religious group directed at every other, makes one wonder if any ever understood the word love.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:06 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Between Muslim fanatics, Christian tribulationist, and Jewish supremacist this world ............
.[/b]
listen to others and it will be perverted,be led by others "in the name of"...you'll probably be misled.

Have a personal love between you and God and it will remain pure.This is why I'll stand up for religion,discuss it in general terms and point out the good aspects but I will not spout off to others as being immoral or calling them damned and unworthy.

And if I ever do point it out to me and I'll correct myself.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:10 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
It doesn't so much matter that only a "few" are actually terrorists, as long as the majority either (1) sympathizes, and thus supports them, or (2) has apparently been "terrified" into silence. Either way, the effect is the same. Christians and Jews just don't go on campaigns of "Holy Wars", and haven't for centuries. Bad analogies.

I defy anyone to read a few pages from the book "Infidel" by Somali-born Dutch citizen Ayaan Hirsi Ali---(a very brave woman, who probably won't live too long) who ended up in a high government position in The Netherlands, working with muslim immigrants. How anyone can possibly say this religion is not destroying the Dutch society and its tradition of easy-going tolerance is simply beyond me. Unless, of course, she's just a malcontented "enemy of Islam", in which case she should be destroyed.

Sorry, but though all of us have our "rough edges", there really aren't any parallels with this stuff in any other religion. And there's no such thing as a muslim nation with a happy, safe, protected "minority" religion in its midst. In fact, there's really no comparing the close ties between religion and secular society in the muslim world with anywhere in the west.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:46 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
well considering jews and muslims claim to both descend from abraham... thats not exactly a good thing of them to say...
both religions decend from the sons of abraham. Isaac and Ishmael

one was the son with his wife Sarah, and one was an illigitimate son.

(if my facts are wrong, please help correct them.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies