Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 03:53 PM

46,947 posts, read 25,984,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Why it didn't include tearing down the insurance monopolies in states and allow people to shop across state lines?
What makes you think that will work for the consumer? Look at what happened with Credit Card companies - they all congregated to the one state (Delaware) whose laws benefited them most - no pesky usury legislation etc.

I see no reason to believe that health insurance companies are dumber or more ethical than credit card companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 04:29 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,097,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Say what? I think you are confused on how private health care works in the U.S.

Germany, England, Canada, those are national health care systems that actually work.

The U.S. system is highly profitable, and it can increase its profit margins by denying healthcare to the sick. Aint that compassionate? God Bless America
It is illegal to turn down any person in this country seeking care. That includes ILLEGAL aliens. Nobody in this country goes without medical care unless it is their own choice.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
It is illegal to turn down any person in this country seeking care. That includes ILLEGAL aliens. Nobody in this country goes without medical care unless it is their own choice.
Only if they have an emergent, life threatening condition, or are in active labor, and they present at an emergency room. No doctor's office or clinic is required to see anyone.

Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-15-2012, 05:41 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Only if they have an emergent, life threatening condition, or are in active labor, and they present at an emergency room. No doctor's office or clinic is required to see anyone.

Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's one factor that contributes to the high cost of healthcare. ER are overloaded with patients that should had been treated earlier and cheaper.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
That's one factor that contributes to the high cost of healthcare. ER are overloaded with patients that should had been treated earlier and cheaper.
The ERs don't have to treat them unless they are in active labor or have a life-threatening emergency.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:20 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times
Quote:
Your comments only invalidate your experiences. What percentage of people in England, Germany, and Canada would trade their healthcare for ours?

That would require a study of the percentage of people there with an IQ over 85, in the area of health care. So I would imagine the percentage would be small.

Those asked would laugh in your face.

Of course we here laugh back at the level of taxation in those countries.
I know nothing, as I have only been in the (international) medical arena for 17 years.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:22 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
Try again. This is the one thing that concerns me about CD; people stating things as fact, that are not true.

Katiana hit the nail on the head.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:26 AM

629 posts, read 771,729 times
Of course if the patient went down to their county social sevices and filled out an application for a spendown they would be covered by medicaire with a means tested deductible. Thats why Obamacare is a farce and all this grandma over the cliff the sky is falling is BS

50 million Americans dying in the streets

pft

Old 04-16-2012, 06:43 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,913 times
Quote:
Say what? I think you are confused on how private health care works in the U.S.

Germany, England, Canada, those are national health care systems that actually work.

The U.S. system is highly profitable, and it can increase its profit margins by denying healthcare to the sick. Aint that compassionate? God Bless America
Define "highly profitable."

Old 04-16-2012, 06:56 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I keep trying won't soon stop unless I die, from natural causes or from help,
and I am sure that I won't have any success yet.

A large part of why health care is so high in this country has to do with the way Medicare payments are made. Once one reaches the age of 65 he is forced into Medicare although if he can afford to pay the rates others pay he can have both.

Medicare payments are determined by bureaucrats in state offices in all 50 states. That is ok but since only about 40% of what providers ask for gets paid by Medicare with another 10% from our medigap insurers. Now every insurance company gets asked for about the same amounts but they have to pay the whole thing. Of course, this has to influence how much they charge their customers.

One more time, Medicare tells providers what they will be able to get in payment and they can't charge one penny more. Keeeerist sakes people when will some of you understand this. I have been on Medicare for 14 years and have paid real attention to the quarterly statements from Medicare as to how much providers asked for and how much they pay.

Medicare is government and they decide what can be made by doctors and what they will pay but you people make all those noises about insurance companies not paying but they are being charged rates aimed at equalizing what Medicare pays. Whooooeeeee it makes me wonder.
You make a good point. The Obamacare mandate was aimed at eliminating the problem of free riders--those who got free health care at others' expense. In a sense Medicare and Medicaid is a form of free ridership. When doctors and hospitals start to lose money on the care they provide to those on Medicare or Medicaid because their prices are artificially controlled by the government they do one of two things. They refuse to treat people on Medicare or Medicaid (hospitals don't have that option under current law) or they make up the loss by raising the rates they charge to patients who have private health insurance. In turn insurance companies raise their premiums. Since government insurance, i.e., Medicare and Medicaid, represents a little more than half of all health care dollars spent in the U.S. they are a major driver of healthcare costs for the rest of us. That is how government distorts the free market. They're doing it to healthcare and they're doing it to the housing market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies