Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 03:03 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
It really is sad the lack of faith in anything, except the negative, in atheists. At least people who believe there is a higher power are believingin something positive. Granted there are the crazy religious people, but most of them are level headed, and their lives are usually more positive because they believe in something.
How very arrogant of you....are you doing a little superior dance as you type your posts?

As an atheist, I have NO desire to deprive you of your god, your Jesus, your bible, your church, your religious celebrations ... your faith.

To me, your faith is nonsense and your "higher power" is a huge - HUGE - crutch, but I would never disparage or think less of you for practicing it.

How nice it would be if you "believers" would simply believe in private and leave the rest of us alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 03:16 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Tennessee's Governor didn't sign the "Monkey Bill", but creationism will have a place in the classroom.
Each step forward for creationism is a step backward for science.

Tennessee law allows creationism theory in classrooms - chicagotribune.com
In the old days the schools taught us that dinosaurs were cold blooded lizards who went extinct due to the ice-age. But we did study the basics of science, even if some of the theories on how life evolved were wrong.

So what exactly is intelligent design anyway?

Old 04-11-2012, 03:43 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,509,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
In the old days the schools taught us that dinosaurs were cold blooded lizards who went extinct due to the ice-age. But we did study the basics of science, even if some of the theories on how life evolved were wrong.

So what exactly is intelligent design anyway?
Pseudo-science. It is not based on scientific methodology. If you cross-reference anything related to intelligent design, it has its source in religious texts. I went to Catholic schools and we were taught that evolution was part of the divine plan. Christianity and evolution are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:46 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
How nice it would be if you "believers" would simply believe in private and leave the rest of us alone.
Because the atheists and humanists won't let us. They feel threatened by what "believers" believe and want to be sure that none of that is in the public marketplace of ideas. So you get forced teaching of evolution, criminalization of speech that calls certain actions or lifestyles a sin, and regulations on free worship and religious speech.

Pot - meet kettle.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:04 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If there was death to any living creature before "original sin," than the entire theology that the bible is based on is debunked.
How so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
not wholly correct. Evolution can be proven and shows that it DOES exist. Why do you think so many animals are of the same genus or even why some of the SAME species carry different features.

Whereas, we know that God doesn't exist.
I almost repped you then you ruined the post with the last sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
How very arrogant of you....are you doing a little superior dance as you type your posts?

As an atheist, I have NO desire to deprive you of your god, your Jesus, your bible, your church, your religious celebrations ... your faith.

To me, your faith is nonsense and your "higher power" is a huge - HUGE - crutch, but I would never disparage or think less of you for practicing it.

First, I don't look down on atheists, I think its sad that the only thing you believe in is the lack of anything to believe in. But I think that its your business to think how ever you want.
Second,you wouldn't think less of someone for that but most atheists would and do.
Third, why should we have to believe in private when most atheists make it known that they have no respect for people who believe in a higher power?

Old 04-11-2012, 05:08 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Has anyone proven where/how life originated?

No! They only want things taught that fits their agenda.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:30 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
How so?

Originally Posted by jojajn
Quote:
If there was death to any living creature before "original sin," than the entire theology that the bible is based on is debunked.

According to the bible, death resulted from, and after, sin.
Death Before Sin?

Isn't the entire premise of the bible based on original sin and mans' need for salvation as a result of this sin?

Old 04-11-2012, 05:32 PM

136 posts, read 85,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Tennessee's Governor didn't sign the "Monkey Bill", but creationism will have a place in the classroom.
Each step forward for creationism is a step backward for science.

Tennessee law allows creationism theory in classrooms - chicagotribune.com

Another example of liberalism. Ya know the folks who proclaim that everyone is equal and claim to give everyone a chance and not to pass judgement...yeah...worlds biggest hypocrites. I do not believe in creationism but I say let the state do whatever it wants,if a citizen or citizens of the state don't like it then let them sue to change it.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:40 PM

210 posts, read 251,190 times
Welcome to liberal America. Where any opinion or perception of reality that is different than yours is "backwards" Who is really "backwards" here?

Old 04-11-2012, 05:41 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Because the atheists and humanists won't let us. They feel threatened by what "believers" believe and want to be sure that none of that is in the public marketplace of ideas. So you get forced teaching of evolution, criminalization of speech that calls certain actions or lifestyles a sin, and regulations on free worship and religious speech.

Pot - meet kettle.
No. You 'believers' have been indulged and spoiled for far too long. Your beliefs have become the defacto norm for all American citizens for so long that you identify a correction to separation of church and state - as set out by the Constitution - to be a "war" on your belief system, which, of course, is not now and has never been the case.

I am not "threatened" by your beliefs. I might be amused, puzzled, irritated, and a lot of other adjectives, but never threatened. I don't want anyone's god, saviour, holy book, afterlife, etc constantly in my face and I absolutely don't want them in my publicly funded institutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies