Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2012, 08:18 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
They can't or won't. I don't support Zimmerman the boy didn't have to be killed. However I don't support politically motivated witch hunts and prosecutions either.

An impartial airing of the facts should lead to an arrest, than a conviction. Folks shouldn't be arrested because folks like AL Sharpton create a ruckus. I find it hard to believe that two prosecutors can come to such a wide range of interpretation from the same set of facts. To go from no charges to a 2nd degree murder charge is a big leap. She better have an ace in the hole or she's looking at ethics charges and disbarment.
It is my understanding that the initial prosecutor didn't even investigate the case; an actual initial investigation may have made a difference.

It seems that Corey deserves some respect, however she made the point emphatically and often that the Sanford police department was fully cooperative. I feel she's covering their asses for their mistakes/unconcern. I hope there is an investigation into the police department's conduct that night...

Old 04-12-2012, 08:20 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,966,875 times
Edward, don't you think this assumption is a little over the top? You are asking people to not prejudge Zimmerman, and yet you have no problem making the leap of faith that surely Trayvon was there to break into homes. What would he have broken into the homes with? The pop top from his iced tea can? Think about this.

Quote:
Neither do you. There is no "proof" he was just walking to the store and not looking to break into homes.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:20 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Default Eric Holder Praises Left-Wing Activist Al Sharpton, Says Facts, Law Will Guide Trayvon Martin Investigation

There's nothing like a fair and impartial DOJ where everyone is innocent until proven guilty.

Eric Holder Praises Left-Wing Activist Al Sharpton, Says Facts, Law Will Guide Trayvon Martin Investigation | CNSNews.com

Old 04-12-2012, 08:25 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times
Quote:
They can't or won't. I don't support Zimmerman the boy didn't have to be killed. However I don't support politically motivated witch hunts and prosecutions either.

An impartial airing of the facts should lead to an arrest, than a conviction. Folks shouldn't be arrested because folks like AL Sharpton create a ruckus. I find it hard to believe that two prosecutors can come to such a wide range of interpretation from the same set of facts. To go from no charges to a 2nd degree murder charge is a big leap. She better have an ace in the hole or she's looking at ethics charges and disbarment.
I think they would be better off charging him with manslaughter.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:25 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
It is my understanding that the initial prosecutor didn't even investigate the case; an actual initial investigation may have made a difference.

It seems that Corey deserves some respect, however she made the point emphatically and often that the Sanford police department was fully cooperative. I feel she's covering their asses for their mistakes/unconcern. I hope there is an investigation into the police department's conduct that night...
My understanding is that the local PDs investigator wanted to persue charges and arrest Zimmerman, but the state attorney general (or someone from that office) decided there wasn't sufficient evidence to get a conviction.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:26 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
The irony of this case is in the sweep it under the rug absurd attempts to exonerate the known killer, they may inadvertently create a backlash which will allow most states, and perhaps national law, to repudiate all SYG laws.

A large chunk of local law enforcement funding comes from the Feds; all it would take for the Feds to effectively eliminate SYG would be an executive order to disallow funding whereever SYG laws exist. The locals would have two options: (1) repeal their SYG laws, or (2) Fire tens or hundreds of thousands of cops nationwide.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:28 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The irony of this case is in the sweep it under the rug absurd attempts to exonerate the known killer, they may inadvertently create a backlash which will allow most states, and perhaps national law, to repudiate all SYG laws.

A large chunk of local law enforcement funding comes from the Feds; all it would take for the Feds to effectively eliminate SYG would be an executive order to disallow funding whereever SYG laws exist. The locals would have two options: (1) repeal their SYG laws, or (2) Fire tens or hundreds of thousands of cops nationwide.
What funding does the federal government currently provide for local SYG laws?

Old 04-12-2012, 08:29 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I think they would be better off charging him with manslaughter.
You'd think someone would have taken a lesson from the Casey Anthony case. Overcharge and you may get nothing.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:31 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Toyman, there are too many programs to list here. In my town, 4 of approximately 70 positions are directly tied to gov't funding. It can run the gamut from traffic control to neighborhood, old fashioned walking the beat, but at the end of the day, the staffing limit is what you can pay for PLUS what the feds pay for. If we lost this money, we'd no doubt fire 4 cops, but it likely would not be traffic cops.

BTW, we had 4 more during the stimulus, due to it. When the program ended, we eliminated 4 positions,2 were the ones directly created, 2 others elsewhere compensated for the loss of funding.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:31 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,991 times
Quote:
Neither do you. There is no "proof" he was just walking to the store and not looking to break into homes.
There is no proof that he was looking to break into homes, but there is proof that he went to the store. Your low opinion of him is irrelevent, but not surprising since you automatically assume that the majority of blacks have nothing but crime on their minds, although in actuality, the majority of blacks are not criminals.

I read an article about some racists that hacked TM's email account. There was nothing there, but information about college, SAT and scholarships, but some of you are so focused on the marijuana residue incident, his Twitter, the screwdriver and jewelry and trying to paint this picture of TM as a sub-human thug that you refuse to see him as a human being.

Some of the posters here who are attacking Trayvon Martin's character have been suspended from school, smoked marijuana (or worse), gotten a tattoo or have been arrested. These same people use TM's school suspension as justificaion for his murder. Just because he has been suspended from school (never for violence or theft) does not mean that he was up to no good.

The same people who are so focused on TMs school suspensions dismiss GZ's arrest record and rumours of aggressive behavior, but believe that he was attacked while simply doing a good deed with no question. GZ says TM attacked him while he was reaching for his cell phone to call 911 again (according to his father's recount of what GZ told him). If Travyon Martin attacked GZ when he was reaching for something, I believe it was his gun. Why does Trayvon Martin not have the right to defend himself? If he felt that his life was in danger and he attacked GZ, he would have the right to do so under the same law that GZ is claiming that he did.

How can you or any of the other GZ supporters who hope that he is exonerated without knowing all the facts place such a low value on TM's life? How can some of you sit here and actually get upset because his parents want justice for their son and some of you even had the audacity to call his parents POS. I bet the same people who are in here calling his parents POS, calling him a thug and wishing that GZ gets away with this sit in church every Sunday and call yourselves Christian. Some of you are so focused on hating blacks, proving a point and your obsession with the second amendment that you can't see why people are upset, why his parents would be upset, why there should be a thorough investigation or why GZ should have his day in court. If the evidence shows that he acted in self-defense, so be it. If not, then let him be punished accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies