Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 04:49 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post

I may be old fashioned, but I still believe that people will not actively seek to use the SYG law to commit murder.
It's outlandish to give people the benefit of the doubt!!! No! Everybody MUST be babysat because certain people are too weak to live with freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 05:10 PM

12,953 posts, read 13,663,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Can you imagine? You're watching TV in your living room and two gang bangers burst in to perpetrate a home invasion robbery and/or murder. You have your .45 sitting next to you, but in order to escape prosecution for defending yourself against these thugs and possibly spending the rest of your life in prison, you must retreat to your bedroom or basement before you're legally able to defend yourself. F'ing insane!

Nope.... I can't imagine having to watch Gilligans Island with my loaded shot gun in my lap every day.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:49 PM

57,220 posts, read 26,166,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Again, if you would actually read the Florida statute, the law is very clear. Simply taking examples of idiots who willfully break the law does not support your arguement.
Unfortunately there have been many "idiots"who have taken advantage of the addtional proitection provided under SYG. These so called examples are exactly the issue, as the law brings out the radical fringe, if not for them we would not even be having a debate.

What supports your argument that the law is serving it's purpose.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:12 PM

57,220 posts, read 26,166,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Bloomberg, and his Army Major buddy should mind their own business! NYC has the toughest gun laws in the Country. Any law abiding citizen that is threatened with a firearm in New York is, virtually, defenseless. No one here is talking about vigilantism, this is about defending oneself, period. Defending oneself without fear of prosecution. Does anyone believe this guy was running Fla. law around in his head when this unfortuate event took place? REALLY! There is only one person left that knows what really happened that day, No one else is qualified to comment on the events. But bet this, if I or my family is ever threatened in a truly offensive manor, I would not hesitate to do the same thing Zimmerman did. Hang in there George, if your telling the truth you'll be OK! Its also a dam shame that people use tragedies such as this to gain noteriety, and fame. Oh yeah, lets not forget...Money!.........

A billionaire who is out of touch of everyday life , advocates gun controll .Easy to do that when you have bodyguards paid by taxpayers. But if he to live near ghetto,to go home after second shift in dark I sure he would have not one but two 45 on him..
Bloomberg runs a major city and most certainly understands the issues, illegal handguns, murders, crime, more so than some self-annointed expert blogger. I could not imagine having SYG in NYC.

There was a famous case back in 1984, Bernard Goetz wounded several unarmed assailants on a subway in NYC. The case went to a grand jury and they refused to indict on the more serious charges, he was only indicted for carrying an illegal handgun.That is the way the system should work, if you kill or wound someone with a gun the legal system should take it's course.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:14 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
If Zimmerman backed off at some point and Treyvon kept coming at him the stand your ground law will still exonerate Zimmerman. I believe even if you are the aggressor you can still still legally shoot some one under this law. I like guns as much as the next person and believe every has the right to defend them self, but to formalize a law setting parameters under which you can lawfully kill some one is barbaric, uncivilized, and backwards.

Why would that bother you? If you give someone an out and they don't take it, the problem becomes theirs.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:24 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,361,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Easy for a man with an armed taxpayer-paid bodyguard crew to say. And it's very funny coming from a man who sent NYC cops out to commit a felony in other states (straw purchases).

"Mayors typically are protected by a five- or six-person team of plainclothes detectives, including one who often goes ahead to secure the destination. There are generally three teams that rotate for the 24-hour job. Bodyguards generally have stayed overnight with the mayor in Gracie Mansion, the city's official residence. Bloomberg, a billionaire, has opted to stay in his own town house on a prime block of East 79th Street, where there is now a police booth. Protection is available for a mayor's family members, but the Police Department makes those decisions based on the individuals and any perceived threat against them."

How NYC Mayors Are Protected - CBS News

So does this mean Bloomberg will dial 911 and wait patiently for police to arrive the way he apparently expects the rest of us to do?

Old 04-12-2012, 06:32 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,361,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
He's the mayor of the most populous city in the country. I suspect he knows a little more about keeping people safe than some blowhard on a forum.

Good point qwerbilzak!

Next time you're in NYC, walk through dark allies in the worse parts of town with complete confidence knowing Bloomberg is at the helm.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:34 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,487,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
“In reality the NRA’s leaders weren’t interested in public safety. They were interested in promoting a culture where people take the law into their own hands and face no consequences for it. Let’s call that by its real name, vigilantism,” he said. ”The NRA should be ashamed of themselves. This has nothing to do with gun owners rights. It has nothing to do with the second amendment.”

Bloomberg Blasts NRA Over ‘Stand Your Ground’ Laws - ABC News

He's on the money.
Whatever, Bloomberg's an idiot.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:39 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,961,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Good point qwerbilzak!

Next time you're in NYC, walk through dark allies in the worse parts of town with complete confidence knowing Bloomberg is at the helm.
NYC is amongst the nations safest cities of those of a large size. It started with Rudy G/Bratton truly did the work, but under Bloomberg, the relative safety has continued. Unlike you, I lived in NYC for 2 of the Koch years, and it was incredibly more dangerous than now. I was young, and knew which areas were better, so I cherry picked my paths to stuff, but today, its much, much safer. I'd fear for my safety more in 2012 in either Bridgeport or New Haven, Ct than most of New York City.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:16 PM

18,355 posts, read 26,479,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
NYC is amongst the nations safest cities of those of a large size. It started with Rudy G/Bratton truly did the work, but under Bloomberg, the relative safety has continued. Unlike you, I lived in NYC for 2 of the Koch years, and it was incredibly more dangerous than now. I was young, and knew which areas were better, so I cherry picked my paths to stuff, but today, its much, much safer. I'd fear for my safety more in 2012 in either Bridgeport or New Haven, Ct than most of New York City.
And gun-saturated Vermont is safer than NYC. Kind of kills the notion that fewer guns=fewer crimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies