Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Stay at Home Moms Do Any Work and Are They Capable of Understanding Economic Issues?
Yes. They do the most important job of all raising children & managing a household and they are perfectly capable of understanding economic issues 163 87.63%
Nah. They just sit around eating bon bons all day and can't even keep track of how many kids they have. 23 12.37%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 06:41 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times

Advertisements

Of course they WORK!

Tying whether they're capable of understanding economic issues into the same question is silly. After all, professional economists prove time and time again that they're not capable of understanding economic issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 06:42 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,028,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

OH! That's just like OBAMA said it! It's surely mean ALL Democrats feel that way!!

LOL! Thanks for the morning strrrrretch!

I think they Repugs are getting a little defensive about their LONG and well documented history of attacking women....

And the OP poll, to stem the huge tide of Democrats war on women starts an insulting sexist divisive ignorant poll attacking women.... Repugs just do NOT get it....poor things,,,
Hello, mods? Hi there.
How much longer is this poster going to be allowed to state "Repugs" over and over? (check posting history, if you will)
And how many more times am I gong to report it?

Like the "*******s" label, it's distracting, disrespectful, immature, and
on par with the "name calling" forbidden in the TOS.
Maybe y'all have been very busy lately but I figure this may be seen
since my reports haven't been.

I'm pretty tired of the fact that these anti-Conservative slams are allowed. If I get an infraction from this, then so be it.

Have a great day!

Old 04-12-2012, 06:42 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,760,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel_Straker View Post
I don't think it is the husband that is doing all the shopping for the house and maintaing the budget.
Huh??

Old 04-12-2012, 06:43 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,144,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I've played both roles. It's sickening to think that anyone would feel this way about stay at home Moms. They sure do understand economics. It's up to them to go and get what their families need and have to make decisions based on that daily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Of COURSE stay-at-home moms understand economic issues - and probably far better than full-time career moms!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

Stay at home moms are no differnent that any other group of people.

Some are great multi-taskers, manage the family budget, raise kids, maintain a house and still get involved in community issues, and watch and understand economic issues more than the "working" spouse.

Others feed the kids, take them to activities, but do little else.

And others sit around, do near nothing, count on the state for income, don't make meals for their kids and lets them run wild with no supervision.

Given that variety, I chose not to vote.
"""Stay at home moms are no differnent that any other group of people.""

Correct and the OP poll premise is so STUPID and sexist and devisive and intended to provide a platform to attack women that it shouldn't even be addressed.

The idea that women can't understand politics/business/economics went out in the 20th century ....keep it out ! Don't resurrect something so stupid.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:46 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

Stay at home moms are no differnent that any other group of people.

Some are great multi-taskers, manage the family budget, raise kids, maintain a house and still get involved in community issues, and watch and understand economic issues more than the "working" spouse.

Others feed the kids, take them to activities, but do little else.

And others sit around, do near nothing, count on the state for income, don't make meals for their kids and lets them run wild with no supervision.

Given that variety, I chose not to vote.

Same here. And how is this a "Democratic" war on women? Because
Hilary Rosen, a partner at SKDKnickerbocker, the PR firm of former Obama communications director Anita Dunn" said it?

So there's a communications director for Obama and her name is Anita Dunn. She has a PR Firm, and one of the partners at this PR Firm made this statement? And somehow this is a democratic war on women?

When the democratic side of state legislators starts butting into the "requirements" for being a SAHM and requiring medical procedures and educations certifications to do such things OR if the democratic legislature tries to make them stop giving opinions, then I will agree that there is a democratic war on women.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:47 AM

By the way, can I start a poll on here about the Republican War on Women because a very Republican poster here made comments yesterday to the effect that working women don't raise their children and shouldn't be mothers?

Old 04-12-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
By the way, can I start a poll on here about the Republican War on Women because a very Republican poster here made comments yesterday to the effect that working women don't raise their children and shouldn't be mothers?
No one's saying you shouldn't be mothers, but you're probably talking about me
and I stand behind the fact: Who is raising your children when you're at work? You aren't. Someone else is.
How can you be raising them when you aren't even in the same zip code, likely?
It's a simple concept, but if you are feeling exceptionally guilty you would take issue with it.

That's not a "Republican War on Women," as it's not necessarily held by all Republicans,
I'm also a woman, so many other reasons. Just sounds like a guilty conscience on your part, that's all.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:03 AM

770 posts, read 1,177,254 times
When Dunn said she "hasn't worked a day in her life" do you know if she meant it literally? I would definitely call someone who has had the luxury of literally never working even before they had children, out of touch with economic issues.

Last edited by luckynumber4; 04-12-2012 at 07:13 AM..

Old 04-12-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
No one's saying you shouldn't be mothers, but you're probably talking about me
and I stand behind the fact: Who is raising your children when you're at work? You aren't. Someone else is.
How can you be raising them when you aren't even in the same zip code, likely?
It's a simple concept, but if you are feeling exceptionally guilty you would take issue with it.

That's not a "Republican War on Women," as it's not necessarily held by all Republicans,
I'm also a woman, so many other reasons. Just sounds like a guilty conscience on your part, that's all.
Actually, it wasn't about you at all but I can see you are one that is on the other side of "insulting" people. Just as SAHP's don't like to be told they don't "work" because they do, working parents don't like to be told they aren't raising their children. I have two children, and yes they are wonderful individuals who would 100% tell you that they were raised BY ME and their working father. It may not have been in the manner that YOU prefer to raise your children, but they very much feel that they were raised by me, they have my values, we love each other, and they have good happy rememberances of their childhoods. For you to say such a thing is as bad as what this woman has said about stay at home parents. If you can't see that, you are horribly blind.

I'm not guilty at all about my choice and am very happy about what I did. What I find incredible is the amount of stay at home women who feel the need to chime in every freaking chance that get with their sanctimonious, holier-than-thou BS about this issue which only proves to me that they feel inferior because they aren't in the workforce. They (and not all of them) must CONSTANTLY get on their high horse and denigrate someone who went to work.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I have two children, and yes they are wonderful individuals who would 100% tell you that they were raised BY ME and their working father.
I don't think you're understanding: How can you be raising them when you aren't there?

Do you only work an hour or so a day? A few days a week?
Chances are (I'm just going on averages) you work 8 hours a day (at the very least)
and 5 days a week, and when we factor in time to drop off/commute/pick up you are talking about probably 9-10 hours per weekday that your kids
were with someone else.

Do you think that someone else was sitting in a corner, twiddling their thumbs?
You'd hope not.
But what were they doing?
They were raising your kids during that extended time.

For you to deny this would illustrate a poor grasp on math, at the very least.
No one's saying you didn't do things with them on weekends on around dinnertime/bedtime during the week,
but unless you have telepathic powers you weren't raising them while you were at work all that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies