Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Stay at Home Moms Do Any Work and Are They Capable of Understanding Economic Issues?
Yes. They do the most important job of all raising children & managing a household and they are perfectly capable of understanding economic issues 163 87.63%
Nah. They just sit around eating bon bons all day and can't even keep track of how many kids they have. 23 12.37%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 09:36 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Why don't you read a bit more about the Romney's history?

Their first born was born in 1970 when Mitt and Ann were undergraduates at BYU. Child #2 was born a year later.

Romney didn't join Bain & Company until 1977. They had three children at that point, the next in 1978. Their fifth child was born in 1981.

For most of their children's younger years Romney was not remotely wealthy. He was a rising star and surely was paid well. But Ann likely worked hard to raise her children because Mitt was likely heavily committed to his career and being a Mormon. I can't tell exactly the progression of Romney's wealth, but it appears much of his wealth was earned rather quickly as part of equity gained when he left Bain. And most of that happened in the 1990s, when his children were teens.
Mitt Romneys father was the chairman of AMC and Governor of Michigan and a millionaire in his own right.

"Romneys Reported $3-Million Income From 1955 to 1966" The New York Times: p. 46. November 26, 1967.

He and Ann met while in prep school, neither of them were there on scholarship. If they lived in a basement apartment for the year it took Mitt to finish at BYU, in 1970, that still does not mean Ann, is the best equipped person to advice him on the economic issues of the typical American woman 40+ years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 09:43 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,371,787 times
It looks like my original thread was hijacked... I do not appreciate nor approve of this poll because it does not offer a third selection, which would be that some stay at home moms are interested in raising their children and taking care of their families but are not interested in world events or politics.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:45 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Well, we did have a poster the other day come out and finally admit that in order to stay home with her kids, she had to collect some type of government assistance. So, some stay-at-home parents do take advantage of government handouts.
Sure they do. At the very least, many of them take advantage of the WIC program.

The young couple who used to live up the hill from me (divorced now - he's still there) had their baby's birth and subsequent medical care taken care of by Medicaid, as well as her daughter from an earlier relationship (he works but doesn't make all that much). It's possible they also received food stamps, although I don't know that for a fact.

All that so she could be a stay at home mom.

Look, I really have no problem with Ann Romney and the fact that she's never worked outside of her home. I'm sure she is/was a fine mom and has done the best she could for her kids.

The problem I have is with the people who think that she's done it all on her own, with no help, and comparing her to other women who really struggle - one way or another - with their choices or the fact that they have NO choice. Many women would love to be home with their kids but they don't have the luxury of CHOICE.

Ann Romney, if she had chosen to work, would have likely had live-in nannies, cooks, and chauffeurs to be there for her kids when she couldn't be. She would never have had to figure out how she could pay half her paycheck (or more) for day care and then still feed her kids, pay the rent or mortgage, put gas in the car, etc.

Romney using his wife as some kind of insight into how the REAL world of women get by is truly ridiculous. She doesn't have a clue, anymore than her clueless husband does, about how anybody but the top 1% live.

Prior to 2009, the Obamas were not rich - not by Romney standards (still aren't). They had one car and they both worked. While their lifestyle was still better than most, they are at least somewhat closer to how the majority live - and have experienced how the real world lives - than the Romneys.

AND......they've never tied a dog to the roof of their car.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:50 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Why don't you read a bit more about the Romney's history?

Their first born was born in 1970 when Mitt and Ann were undergraduates at BYU. Child #2 was born a year later.

Romney didn't join Bain & Company until 1977. They had three children at that point, the next in 1978. Their fifth child was born in 1981.

For most of their children's younger years Romney was not remotely wealthy. He was a rising star and surely was paid well. But Ann likely worked hard to raise her children because Mitt was likely heavily committed to his career and being a Mormon. I can't tell exactly the progression of Romney's wealth, but it appears much of his wealth was earned rather quickly as part of equity gained when he left Bain. And most of that happened in the 1990s, when his children were teens.
The first was born when they were living off money made by selling stocks. You see, most of us didn't have extensive stock holdings when we were in college. Most of us didn't have the ability to sell stocks to cover our expenses. Then, when they moved east, they found house rental prices to be significantly higher than they had been at BYU. So Mitt's dad bought a house for them. Most of us don't have parents that can just plunk down the money for a house for us so that we don't have to worry about rent or mortgages. Most of us don't sell the house several years later for double what our father paid for it, and pocket the profit.

Romney worked hard for his fortune. And Ann's contribution to that is significant. But they weren't "average" at any point in their lives. Does that mean they cannot understand what the "average" person's life is like in America? No, not all. Maybe they do understand. But it's not due to their life experiences if they understand.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:51 AM

Default Slams on Liberals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Hello, mods? Hi there.
How much longer is this poster going to be allowed to state "Repugs" over and over? (check posting history, if you will)
And how many more times am I gong to report it?

Like the "*******s" label, it's distracting, disrespectful, immature, and
on par with the "name calling" forbidden in the TOS.
Maybe y'all have been very busy lately but I figure this may be seen
since my reports haven't been.

I'm pretty tired of the fact that these anti-Conservative slams are allowed. If I get an infraction from this, then so be it.

Have a great day!
Like there aren't numerous anti-liberal slams?????

Old 04-13-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Like there aren't numerous anti-liberal slams?????
I wonder if the poster hits the report button every time he/she sees things like "*******?"

Old 04-13-2012, 09:55 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
So who is qualified? The women who made bad choices in life. The women who are on welfare and have three kids by three different men. Yeah, that's who I want to take advice from.(sarcasm)
You compare one extreme, the very wealthy woman, to the opposite extreme, the welfare queen. Average falls somewhere in between. Like the woman who went to college, graduated, got married, got a job, took time off to have kids, got divorced, tried to get back into the workforce, struggles to pay for a dentist because her insurance doesn't cover it, serves mac-n-cheese as dinner because it's cheap and she's got a tight budget, drives an 11-year-old car even though it breaks down because it's paid for.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:05 AM

Default Obama's "Wealth"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Yet you listen to Obama's words of wisdom?
Obama just released his tax return results for last year. ~$750,000. Can't compare with Romey's 1/4 billion $$$'s.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:08 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,454 times
Two questions. One, what did Hilary Rosen say? the full quote, not just one sentence. and two, why is it so damn hard to find? There are lots of sites out there complaining about what she said but it seems none of those sites even bother to tell us what the hell quote they're talking about

Old 04-13-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Obama just released his tax return results for last year. ~$750,000. Can't compare with Romey's 1/4 billion $$$'s.
And his tax rate is 22% - quite a bit higher than Mittens' 13.9%.
Quote:
Can't compare with Romey's 1/4 billion $$$'s.
Much of which is in off shore accounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies