Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Stay at Home Moms Do Any Work and Are They Capable of Understanding Economic Issues?
Yes. They do the most important job of all raising children & managing a household and they are perfectly capable of understanding economic issues 163 87.63%
Nah. They just sit around eating bon bons all day and can't even keep track of how many kids they have. 23 12.37%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 08:48 AM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,685 times

Advertisements

Ms Rosen said Ann Romney couldn't relate to struggling women trying to make a budget stretch. Her comment about not working was about Ann being RICH not about being a stay at home mom.
But people jumped on it to make a huge deal out of nothing to further their political ends...and so it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 08:49 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Not entertaining? Wow! They weren't being very creative, either. You can entertain on very little money. In fact, most college students do just that. Rent a movie, buy some beer/wine/soda (for the Mormons) and invite your friends.
When you're uber-rich, you don't have to be very creative - you just hire someone to be creative for you.

Besides, I'm pretty sure their idea of "entertaining" isn't the same as "real" people's (you know - like you and me) idea of entertaining.

The idea of inviting a few friends over and renting a movie and having a few, cheap refreshments would probably have been horrific to a debutante. Although back in those days, there weren't VCR's - maybe they had an old movie projector like my family had when I was a kid.

They could have played board games - I'm sure Mittens was quite the Monopoly player.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
Ms Rosen said Ann Romney couldn't relate to struggling women trying to make a budget stretch. Her comment about not working was about Ann being RICH not about being a stay at home mom.
But people jumped on it to make a huge deal out of nothing to further their political ends...and so it goes.
Poor choice of words during a campaign that is very, very important to women.

I just hope that those few words won't cause women to vote against their best interests (and their daughters,' and sisters,' and mothers') by voting for someone who wants to shut down Planned Parenthood and who supports policies, such as the Ryan budget plan (more tax breaks to Mittens and his cronies! Yay!).

Old 04-15-2012, 10:19 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,575,276 times
Being a stay at home mom means maintaining and looking out for the best interests of your home and family. In my opinon, its a much easier job from a psychological standpoint than having to get up at 6am everyday, dealing with a commute, dealing with BS office politics, dealing with a boss that you most likely will not be able to stomach, and dealing with your work responsibilities and deadlines while trying to juggle everything else that comes along with having a regular 9-5 job.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:27 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Being a stay at home mom means maintaining and looking out for the best interests of your home and family. In my opinon, its a much easier job from a psychological standpoint than having to get up at 6am everyday, dealing with a commute, dealing with BS office politics, dealing with a boss that you most likely will not be able to stomach, and dealing with your work responsibilities and deadlines while trying to juggle everything else that comes along with having a regular 9-5 job.
And when you add all that to taking care of a family, kids and a home. That is what working class moms do EVERY DAY, while the likes of silver spoon moms like ms mittens hire out the small stuff so they have time for bonbons and entertaining.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:32 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Now the liberals are trying to divide this mom and that mom... the liberals are the most divisive political extremists I have met...

Old 04-15-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
And when you add all that to taking care of a family, kids and a home. That is what working class moms do EVERY DAY, while the likes of silver spoon moms like ms mittens hire out the small stuff so they have time for bonbons and entertaining.
And then toss in the plight of the working single mom who often has to work more than one job to make ends meet.

I'm sure there are millions of moms everywhere who would love to have the option to stay home and take care of their kids but who don't have the luxury of a choice.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
When you're uber-rich, you don't have to be very creative - you just hire someone to be creative for you.

Besides, I'm pretty sure their idea of "entertaining" isn't the same as "real" people's (you know - like you and me) idea of entertaining.

The idea of inviting a few friends over and renting a movie and having a few, cheap refreshments would probably have been horrific to a debutante. Although back in those days, there weren't VCR's - maybe they had an old movie projector like my family had when I was a kid.

They could have played board games - I'm sure Mittens was quite the Monopoly player.
I forgot there were no VCRs or DVD players in the early 70s. However, college students have always found ways to "entertain" cheaply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Now the liberals are trying to divide this mom and that mom... the liberals are the most divisive political extremists I have met...
I guess you've never heard of the "Mommy Wars", eh?

The Truth Behind The Mommy Wars: Who Decides What Makes A Good Mother? - Miriam Peskowitz - Google Books

Old 04-15-2012, 10:54 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
How is it the "right" has done damage to stay at home moms? Women who don't get that may have to shake out the dust and think about it. I do recall the feminist movement making fun of stay at home moms and making them feel absolutely worthless a few decades ago.....just sayin.

Trust me, nothing has changed.

The radical feminists movement is one in which a few bitter unlovable women hate on both women who put family first and men generally, but it's all fueled by their own self-induced misery.

Anne Romney's unforgivable sin in their eyes isn't being a stay at home mom.

It's being happy as a stay at home mom.

This, more than anything else, lets the air out of their balloon.

If Anne Romney is happy, then she wasn't forced by men to give up her own dreams.

So the attack is against her intellect.

How predictable is that?

Old 04-15-2012, 10:55 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Hilary Rosen is an idiot.
Of course stay at home moms work hard and understand economics.

So do stay at home dads. There are as many of them as moms these days... women are finding jobs easier than men right now.

Anne Romney had a very wide array of choices available to her; Mitt was never poor a day in his life, so she could have worked outside her home or not with no hard consequences either way. Very few women, whether they stay at home or not, have that luxury of choice Anne enjoys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies