Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Stay at Home Moms Do Any Work and Are They Capable of Understanding Economic Issues?
Yes. They do the most important job of all raising children & managing a household and they are perfectly capable of understanding economic issues 163 87.63%
Nah. They just sit around eating bon bons all day and can't even keep track of how many kids they have. 23 12.37%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 10:58 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Hilary Rosen is an idiot.
Of course stay at home moms work hard and understand economics.

So do stay at home dads. There are as many of them as moms these days... women are finding jobs easier than men right now.
Uh, SAHDs are still a small minority.

Newsroom: Facts for Features & Special Editions: Facts for Features: Father's Day: June 19, 2011

70.1 million
Estimated number of fathers across the nation.
Source: Unpublished data from the Survey of Income and Program Participation

Estimated number of stay-at-home dads in 2010. These married fathers with children younger than 15 have remained out of the labor force for at least one year primarily so they can care for the family while their wives work outside the home. These fathers cared for 287,000 children.
Source: America's Families and Living Arrangements <http://www.census.gov/population/www/socdemo/hh-fam.html>

Approx. 2% of dads are SAHDs.

http://www.census.gov/newsroom/relea...cb11-ff07.html
5 million
Number of stay-at-home moms in 2010 — down from 5.1 million in 2009 and 5.3 million in 2008 (the estimates for 2010 and 2009 are not statistically different). In 2010, 23 percent of married-couple family groups with children under 15 had a stay-at-home mother, up from 21 percent in 2000. In 2007, before the recession, stay-at-home mothers were found in 24 percent of married-couple family groups with children under 15.

While the number of SAHMs dropped from 24% to 23% during the recession, there are still 10X as many SAHMs than SAHDs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 11:08 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,248,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

women are finding jobs easier than men right now.
But.....but....but....I thought that women make up 92% of the job losses since President Obama took office?

Are you saying that Mittens......lied?

Quote:
Presidential candidate Mitt Romney tried to turn the Republican war on women against Obama Wednesday. Romney asserted that 92% of all persons who lost their jobs under Obama were women.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Romney’s statement on women’s job loss shows ignorance on the economy - National economic policy | Examiner.com Romney

Old 04-16-2012, 06:20 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,204 times
Default ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
As much as I dislike Romney; My contempt for lying obama is beyond what the American people deserve. The President of the most powerful country on earth has to lie- cheat- forged documents and hand $$ to his friends & donors only while all the time placing a knife (of restrictions) in the back for small business owners throughout this country.

In political office one must be able to see all sides and deal with many world issues.

So how does America's appearance look to the whole world? They know Obama is a total fraud. Nothing but lie after lie after lie.

4 more years of his continued failed polices W/ MORE restrictions and Civlian Youth Core will only bring this nation down DOWN DOWN.

I know for a FACT - a huge surprise is in the wings for the Republican National Convention. Romney is smiling - he "thinks" he has the nomination all sewed up and in the bag.

(chuckle) it is more than obvious what is gonna happen.......!

Sit back, relax and watch the show.. Meanwhile people will continiue to post; THINKING that they are going to actually accomplish something on any of these forums.

What amazes me more than anything in any of these zillions of threads. It how some people (wreking ballz & Historianduet) will be so picky to point out the smallest error in spelling or grammar or sentence structure; BUT WHEN OBAMA IS CAUGHT RED HANDED LYING AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN............ they are blind deaf and dumb!!
WHERE IN THE WORLD did you get this stuff?? Fox News? Or did you make it up?

Old 04-16-2012, 06:37 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,940,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Pretty much the same result.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:24 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Pretty much the same result.
Lol, some people spend so much time in that wingnut echo chamber it can be stunning just how out of touch they become. Shi*ty data is a perfect example...

Old 04-16-2012, 08:36 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,780,691 times
Standing - Clapping - Cheering - Bravo!! Coming from you buzzards27.. I consider that a COMPLIMENT!

Have a great day (pretending).

Old 04-16-2012, 08:40 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,780,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
CNN MSN are my guides to discern the simple truth. and neither of those news outlets are capable of any true news reporting.

Anderson Cooper is a THE BIGGEST FOOL in that organisation.

CNS WND have my undivided attention daily.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:42 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
Ms Rosen said Ann Romney couldn't relate to struggling women trying to make a budget stretch. Her comment about not working was about Ann being RICH not about being a stay at home mom.
But people jumped on it to make a huge deal out of nothing to further their political ends...and so it goes.

I agree with this. It is obvious that Ms. Rosen's comments were about Mrs. Romney being filthy rich and not having to deal with the economic situations that the average SAHM has to deal with. Mrs Romney does not have to worry about feeding her kids, paying bills, making her dollars stretch on grocery trips, paying for preschool (or private school, something that most SAHMs cannot even afford for their kids) and various other economic situations that the average, not wealthy, SAHM faces.

I am sure though that Mrs. Romney "works hard." She has five children and children are a lot of work. But even in that situation, I would bet that an average SAHM with 5 kids who's husband makes 60-80K per year, works harder as she may not be able to afford nannies or housekeepers, something that the Romney's probabaly have.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:38 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,686,508 times
There was a time in America that wives stayed home to be housewives and mothers. Believe it or not, the average American man earned enough to support his wife and children without his wife working. Being a housewife and mother was a revered titled and well respected.

At some time big business and industry convinced the American housewife she should go to work, that she needed a career, and that being a housewife was not fulfilling. As a result business and industry gained two workers for the price of one. (Hurray for them). The stay-at-home homemaker became a choice of luxury that only the wealthy could afford.

Mrs. Romney is a homemaker and mother. She can certainly afford it. She is and was able to drive her children to soccer practice in Cadillacs. I wonder how many toilets she has scrubbed in her many roomed mansion. How many meals has she cooked? I have no doubt that her stay at home job was more to see that the hired help did their job. There is a big difference in a real stay-at-home mom who has to do the work herself and one like Mrs. Romney who hires other to do the dirty work for her. Mrs. Romney is one of those who really does not deserve the title homemaker.

Any woman who is a real homemaker and mother deserves a boatload of praise. To clean, cook, drive, mother, etc., and be a lover is a monumental task. To do this without pay is even more amazing. The women who do this deserve a lot of respect and appreciation.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:44 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,248,665 times
It just cracks me up that so many seem to think that the fact that Ann Romney was a stay at home gives her some insight into family budgeting and economics.

Does anyone really believe that she has EVER (EVER) sat at the kitchen table with her husband after dinner, paying bills and writing checks, and trying to figure out how, after paying the bills, they were going to stretch the remaining $40.00 for groceries until the next pay day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies