Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Stay at Home Moms Do Any Work and Are They Capable of Understanding Economic Issues?
Yes. They do the most important job of all raising children & managing a household and they are perfectly capable of understanding economic issues 163 87.63%
Nah. They just sit around eating bon bons all day and can't even keep track of how many kids they have. 23 12.37%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 12:34 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times

Advertisements

I know. I'm just feeling pissy today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 12:41 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,409,483 times
The Romney's would have us believe that "mom" gave those kids a bath, got them dressed, and fed them? Maybe did the grocery shopping? BS. They have nannies, butlers, and house crew for that. A simple check on any number of their homes would prove this. The Romney's know nothing of the poor or the middle class and Ann Romney is hardly the poster girl for America's woman.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:06 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
The Romney's would have us believe that "mom" gave those kids a bath, got them dressed, and fed them? Maybe did the grocery shopping? BS. They have nannies, butlers, and house crew for that. A simple check on any number of their homes would prove this. The Romney's know nothing of the poor or the middle class and Ann Romney is hardly the poster girl for America's woman.
But that has little bearing on other stay at home moms, who generally manage the house, the funds, and all of the other school activities and crap that come along with it.

The point is made though, that the Romneys have never faced hard times, they've always had the means and ability to delegate responsibility to others, and Mitt and his wife are not representative of the middle class. The same can truly be said of the Obama family as well, although I think their life has been more like mine then Mitts has been, considerably.

Nothing wrong with coming from a family steadily in the middle class with some ladder rungs that many never enjoy. But to make Mitt out to be some kind of working class hero, along with his wife being some ideal house wife that took care everything is more then a logical stretch.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:57 PM

I'm not the least bit offended by Rosen's remark. I know what she meant.

It is pathetic that this CNN pundit's (or whatever she is) off-handed remark has sparked yet another vicious battle of the never-ending mommy wars, especially given how many of us have walked both paths.

Democrats as a group are not opposed to SAH motherhood, nor are Republicans as a group secretly wishing to send women packing from the workplace. This is all totally ridiculous.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:59 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
Lol, talk about INTERFERING with a woman's right to make choices. You wingnuts would return us to the good olde dayz of coat hanger abortions if you had your way.

FYI, working or not working isn't a "choice" for a working poor single mom, it is a matter of survival. Take if from a former kid, one of six, who's disabled working daddy routinely gave my mom $50 a week to feed all eight of us. Until you have been there you have no idea what there is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Pardon my bluntness but why do these people not respect a woman's right to choose to stay home with her children? Why do the people below feel that a woman who chooses to raise her children at home isn't capable of understanding economic issues? This thread is sickening, especially when the people below claim that some other group is starting a "war on women".

Accel Junky, Beaconowner, ben86, bmw335xi, buzzards27, CollegeStudentinAtl, InTheNameOfGod, itsjustmeagain, joebaldknobber, midatlantic12, PrettyRedBow, rickh1954, Serena Sattar, slackjaw, Suncc49, SuperSparkle928, TempesT68, TheEmissary, unregistered2k4, Zenstyle

Old 04-16-2012, 03:08 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm not the least bit offended by Rosen's remark. I know what she meant.

It is pathetic that this CNN pundit's (or whatever she is) off-handed remark has sparked yet another vicious battle of the never-ending mommy wars, especially given how many of us have walked both paths.

Democrats as a group are not opposed to SAH motherhood, nor are Republicans as a group secretly wishing to send women packing from the workplace. This is all totally ridiculous.
Not too sure about wingnuts having empathy for stay at home moms. I think you could find hundreds of their posts attacking single moms as welfare queens.... Who's to blame there, the deadbeat absentee daddy??? Other than a runaway daddy how are welfare moms any different than a stay at home mom?

Old 04-16-2012, 03:13 PM

Wingnuts on both sides are outliers, and we need to revoke their airtime, because they have skewed the discussion. As a group, Republicans are not opposed to birth control, and as a group, Democrats are not out to denigrate SAHMs.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:17 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Of course it's not offensive. Anne Romney didn't have to deal with the economic issues of the real stay at home moms because she was wealthy. What is the problem with saying that. But the republicans had to do something to help boost their ratings with women. So they are trying to milk this and turn it into an issue when none is there. I think the republicans call this faux outrage lol
So "real" stay at home moms are what? Not rich? What about those stay at home moms that pop out kid after kid, smoke crack, and collect welfare? Are they who she should be more like? Are they more "real"?

You stay at home and RAISE your children, you can relate.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:29 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Lol, talk about INTERFERING with a woman's right to make choices. You wingnuts would return us to the good olde dayz of coat hanger abortions if you had your way.

FYI, working or not working isn't a "choice" for a working poor single mom, it is a matter of survival. Take if from a former kid, one of six, who's disabled working daddy routinely gave my mom $50 a week to feed all eight of us. Until you have been there you have no idea what there is.
I fully support a woman's right to an abortion, I actually endorse it in cases where the mother is likely to raise the child in a home that would typically produce a tax dollar loving, government dependent, mindless Democrat child.

So basically your mother had no choice but to be a working single mother due to her choices in life and you have a problem with Romney's wife being able to choose to be a stay at home mom because of the choices she made in her life. You should admire Romney's wife for being a better judge instead of attacking her for being a successful stay at home mom of a beautiful family.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:31 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
Yes they are and to think otherwise is just ridiculous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies