Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 03:38 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,968,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The OP always pulls the 'tragic mulatto' card from the bottom of the deck. His accounts do not ring true....sorry.

Quote:
A courageous woman living in San Francisco wrote and telephoned, and eventually we met. Her ancestry includes Mexican American, French, Irish, African American, Choctaw, and Cherokee. Raised as a black, living with her mother and black stepfather in a black community in Iowa, she aroused hostility because of her ambiguous appearance and long hair. She tried to be a ‘‘good black’’ but was not accepted. When she tried to date black men, one angry black woman told her, ‘‘Leave our black men alone!’’ At age nineteen, she was raped and severely beaten by a group of young black males because she did not ‘‘fit in.’’ As they beat her face, the attackers said they would break her nose because it was ‘‘too white.’’ Many years later, after a visit to her mother’s family in Mexico, she identified much more with her Mexican ancestry and began to feel that was what she was ‘‘meant to be.’’
Who Is Black?: One Nation?s Definition, F. James Davis

Quote:
Today, 18 years into democracy, many colored people feel that they benefit less from policies designed to redress past discrimination than black Africans, who are seen as worthier victims. For example, “black economic empowerment” policies, some of which grant preferential access to state tenders for companies with a mostly black ownership, mostly serve well-connected black African men and women. This leaves many of my colored friends and relatives frustrated: “We weren’t white enough before, and now we are not black enough!”
In South Africa After Apartheid, Colored Community Is the Big Loser - NYTimes.com

I Hate Being Called a Mutt! : I Am Mixed Race Story & Experience

Quote:
As I imagined myself following Malcolm X’s call, one line in his book stayed me. He spoke of his wish that the white blood that ran through him, there by an act of violence, might somehow be expunged. Source: Dreams from My Father, by Barack Obama, p. 80 Aug 1, 1996
All links that "do not ring true" I am sure.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Or anger stems from their white blood. A certain President and his grandmother comes to mind.

One thing I think minorities underestimate is the value of being in the club. While there may be white privilege there is no white community or white solidarity outside the KKK. I've even commented on it to my wife as the town we live in is minority white but there is far more open socializing and community on the non-white side of things. I wish the white people here had similar traditions and neighborhood values. The classic idea of the suburbs in the 1950s where everyone knew their neighbors, celebrated holidays together, had block parties, helped their neighbors watch the kids or fix a problem around the house, etc is completely gone (if it ever truly existed) with white families but the minorities have that community togetherness. I suggested one time to my wife that we try to start that ourselves but she just called me crazy and said we'd look like fools when nobody wanted to come.

I'm not so sure it's purely racial though, because the minority families in white areas act white, and vice versa. Our street is mostly white but has a few minority families and they keep to themselves just like the whites do, whereas many times driving down a mostly minority street I've seen the few whites who do live there participating along with everyone else in whatever is going on in the neighborhood.

Also it might be tied to the small town I live in and may not be the same in the city.

"White" is not an ethnic group, and that is the difference. Italians and Russians are not the same, and the Irish and the Germans are also completely different. Italians have some communities in the US still, as do the Irish and the Swedes and Norwegians in places like Seattle. But whites have never been one united group in America like the Mexicans, blacks etc.

And by "blacks" I mean American descendents of slaves. African immigrants and black Americans are two different groups who often don't see eye to eye. Lumping all people of African descent in America into one category and then looking with dismay when a mixed person, a Nigerian, an Afro-Dominican and a black American don't get along is like asking why a Korean, a Japanese person and a Malaysian don't share the same exact culture and don't get along.

Black American is an ethnic group, not a race. Just as the Akans and Yorubas are both African tribes, Americans could also be called a tribe, as could the Irish and Italians be European tribes. People tend to identify with their tribes.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
So this isn't that first thread from him about this?

Actually, it is. I responded to a similar threat about mixed people but this is the only one I started on the issue...and I got the usually "what your dirty, ugly, high yellow half breed mutt self needs to understand is that we blacks are the only ones who will ever accept you."

Old 03-04-2013, 05:03 AM

6,898 posts, read 4,745,941 times
I have no problem with anyone, I treat people how they treat me, but I detest ghetto behavior.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:31 AM

116 posts, read 93,525 times
Quote:
The OP always pulls the 'tragic mulatto' card from the bottom of the deck. His accounts do not ring true....sorry.
Agreed. Truth be told, dark skinned black Americans have it worse.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:41 AM

116 posts, read 93,525 times
...and I like how he disrespects our women in the process. That's biracials for you.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:07 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,505,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Majority of mixed people I have met have all said the same thing: blacks are just as likely to accept them as are whites. No more, no less.

And blacks and mixed were thrown together by the law of the "one drop rule" but within the black community they never really were a united group.

Ask any mixed girl how black girls have treated her...I am sure she will have stories to tell you.
Tragic Mulatto | Multicultural | Mixed Race | Madame Noire | Black Women's Lifestyle Guide | Black Hair | Black Love

Daily Kos: Why? CNN and NPR Present a Potpourri of Tragic Mulattoes Before a National Audience

Once again that 'tragic mulatto' card gets tossed about...and it certainly is tattered and torn.

Let's be honest here victorian. One can gather many things from ALL of your anti-Black American rants that are crystal clear to the majority of us who know better. The purpose of your thread was to garner "White sympathy" for your "curse of having Black blood" and being perpetually tied to "those people".

The most tragic part about the vast majority of your posts is that it is clearly and sadly the result of 1) a Black parent who had self hatred and 2) the product of the self hatred who blames the 'cursed' Black blood for preventing a more privileged life.

So let's just be honest victorian and admit that you think that your "White blood" automatically makes you superior to any Black American with two Black parents and it should therefore "entitle" you to certain privileges and an elevated status in society. That is the reason why you are angry. You are angry because American society still sees you as a Black man...perhaps a lighter skinned Black man but a Black man none the less and you resent being relegated to that status.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:42 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,289,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Majority of mixed people I have met have all said the same thing: blacks are just as likely to accept them as are whites. No more, no less.

And blacks and mixed were thrown together by the law of the "one drop rule" but within the black community they never really were a united group.

Ask any mixed girl how black girls have treated her...I am sure she will have stories to tell you.
Biracial people with one black parent in America are and have been considered black by American society/white supremacy for 100's of years. This means they have lived in mostly black neighborhoods, had the same political and social interests as those black people in those neighborhoods, and many have mated with those black people.

If there were this separation as you claim there would be proof of this within this society.

There would be long standing biracial neighborhoods, biracial politicians, long standing biracial political, business, and religious organizations.

You would actually see proof of this separation in real terms, not by having to ask some biracial girl.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:49 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,104,269 times
Did VP ever explain how someone who looks more Hispanic/Arabic than Black, gets called out by Blacks who don't know him for not identifying as Black?

Old 03-04-2013, 09:02 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,002,020 times
Quote:
Let's be honest here victorian. One can gather many things from ALL of your anti-Black American rants that are crystal clear to the majority of us who know better. The purpose of your thread was to garner "White sympathy" for your "curse of having Black blood" and being perpetually tied to "those people".
This thread and every thread that the author has posted exhibit the same repetitious theme, less of a concern of where or how they fit in to the great miasmas American racial politics but the separation of him/her from the "great unwashed."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.