Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 03:58 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Actually I did see some posts calling Dr. Carson a house negro and other statements along those lines.

Still with you as well my post went completely over your head since my post was for the OP to redirect attention to African Americans like Dr. Carson who has overcome adversity and makes positive contributions to society.
So what. The posters on CD (or any other message board for that matter) do not represent a majority of any specific group. People like yourself read one or a few posts on a forum and take those opinions as representative of the whole and I'm sorry but that is just plain ole silly. Its like me reading the posts on Stormfront and being naive enough to believe that ALL White people think the exact same way.

And for the record, "we" don't need "you" to "redirect" a gaddamn thing. As I stated in a previous post, Dr. Carson and his wife are very well-known and well-respected by Black Americans. His autobiography sits on the nightstands of nearly every Black churchlady in America so we know ALL about his inspirational story...do you?

Old 03-04-2013, 04:00 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times
City-Data seriously needs a thumbs down smiley.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:19 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
There should only be Americans. I agree...black is so damned date...negro went out of style ...colored went out of style. Time for black and Afro-American to become dated also....that's called progress.
Those Real Americans™ should have thought of that before depriving Other Americans™ the rights to be Americans. So it strikes me as being more than mildly entertaining that when them Other-Americans™ start gaining power to be Americans, Real-Americans™ suddenly want us to be one big happy family by divesting the unity of our otherness that gave us the power to be considered Americans in the first place.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:37 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
There should only be Americans. I agree...black is so damned date...negro went out of style ...colored went out of style. Time for black and Afro-American to become dated also....that's called progress.
Would you welcome an "American" minority member into your home and family as the husband of your daughter or the father of your grandchildren?

Old 03-04-2013, 04:56 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Of course because god knows that I would never want to identify with a group that that has so enriched American culture, found a way to survive three hundred years plus of the most abject oppression, forced a nation to live up to its own founding principles (non-violently) and served as an inspiration to oppressed people both in the United States and across the world. Damn sure don't want to identify with those kind of folks.
Look, every "culture" has enriched America. You don't think the Italians have enriched American culture? Would it be a good thing if all people of any Italian ancestry at all, sat around feeling sorry for themselves, while creating their effectively separate society. Because at one time, Americans discriminated against Italians and Catholics in general, calling them things like WOP's?

As for the comment about oppression and the reference to slavery. You don't think anyone else has ever been enslaved? Practically everyone in the entire world has an ancestor that was a slave. The Jews were slaves, the Jews were kept in Ghetto's. The Jews constantly were killed and their property destroyed. The Jews were oppressed, and ran out of country after country. Do the Jews sit around crying all day about it?

As for blacks and inspiration for oppressed people around the world. I disagree with your assessment. First, I don't believe that blacks from the United States are very highly regarded by oppressed people in other parts of the world(other than maybe Africa). Moreover, blacks aren't highly regarded in this country in any real way. Because you have accomplished nothing, except going socially and morally backwards as a people. Largely because you want to sit around all day feeling sorry for yourself.

I might agree with you that certain African nations did rise up against their supposed oppressors, and may have used America as an example for the need. But the vast majority of those African nations ended up worse off than they started. Because rarely did the movement ever really amount to racial acceptance. But rather, it ended up that the blacks ultimately wanted to displace and punish the whites, so that they would dominate government and the economy.

Which is effectively what is happening in this country, where blacks have become protectionist and somewhat insulated. Ultimately, blacks have been creating their separate society, always identifying as a separate group from everyone else, attacking any black person who doesn't constantly identify as black. Always afraid that white people want to force them to lose their identity. Trying to exaggerate the past, exaggerate their impact on American culture, to further their own agenda.

The problem I have is, what is it that you are hoping to accomplish? To preserve a culture that isn't even yours? To preserve a culture that tends to be immoral and overly sexualized? To preserve a culture that constantly changes the English language until it is unrecognizable even between different generations of blacks?

In my view, you would be far better off being assimilated into mainstream America, trying to be like "the white man". Rather than constantly fighting against it, trying to preserve something not worth preserving.

It reminds me of George Obama(Barack Obama's brother), when he talked about colonialism. Basically arguing that, Kenya never should have become independent from Britain. And that Kenya was effectively fighting over nothing, and accomplished nothing. And that had Kenya stayed with Britain, it would be far better off today than it is.

George Obama In '2016: Obama's America': President's Brother Appears In Conservative Documentary (VIDEO)

Quote:
Seems like the elephant in the room, but I would suggest that as long as some white folks insist on preserving those benefits of being white the whole issue isn't going anywhere.
Its not an issue of preserving benefits of being white. Its an issue of rewarding people who adhere to the mainstream culture. Its minimizing the influence of culturally different "outsiders", whom you want to marginalize until they basically disappear. Money is power and influence.

No white person cares if some black guy like Ben Carson has money or influence. No one is trying to keep him down. Because we see him effectively as us. We want him to be as successful as possible, so that he can be a bridge between blacks and whites. The same can be said for someone like Thomas Sowell.

What white people resent, is really the ghetto people of the world having money and influence. They resent the ghetto culture, rap music, black athletes, etc.

If you want to look at the worst nepotism in this country, you need to look at the Jews. From Hollywood to banks, Jews love to hire other Jews, but who cares?

My point is, if all black people attempted to speak and act more like the mainstream culture. I think the general animosity towards them would largely disappear. And for instance, if a person could largely pass for white to begin with(Greeks almost look middle-eastern), then that helps eliminate much of it as well. Asians for instance, tend to more quickly blend into the mainstream culture, they tend to marry more readily outside of their race, and don't request any special benefits or special recognition. Nor do they get their feelings hurt when people who are only part Asian, identify as white.

I just feel that that would create a more healthy country, rather than being obsessed with being part of some separate culture. Especially one that tends to cause harm to its own people.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:03 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
What a crock of bs. Show me the study in which black Americans call themselves victims or say they feel anger and resentment.
I responded to a claim from someone, wherein I gave my opinion on why the claims he made wouldn't necessarily lead to the conclusions that he gave.

For a black American who does not consider himself a victim, my post does not apply. It applies only to the people for which the post I responded to applies, which are blacks who blame whites for their problems instead of working to solve them themselves. Going on a rant about blacks not considering themselves victims is entirely pointless and irrelevant. The post I made does not make a claim that blacks consider themselves victims, it posits a reason for why those who do consider themselves victims may not be responsible for it.

The rest of your post flowing from an incorrect assumption and consisting largely of ad hominem attacks and hypocritical accusations about lies while making your own unsupported statements, will be ignored.

One suggestion, though, in the future you might want to try apply some critical thinking skills before going off on a foaming at the mouth tantrum and realize that the person whose racism you were hyperventilating about was actually arguing against racism. That their environment which they had no control over rather than some defect within themselves may be the reason for the behavior this person was complaining about.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:05 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
My ignore list just grew by a few names.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:10 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
LOL!

All I did was suggest that of we all traced our geneology back far enough we would learm that most of us are biracial, and I apparently re-ignited a firestorm that can be traced back to the OP!

Old 03-04-2013, 05:36 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Those Real Americans™ should have thought of that before depriving Other Americans™ the rights to be Americans. So it strikes me as being more than mildly entertaining that when them Other-Americans™ start gaining power to be Americans, Real-Americans™ suddenly want us to be one big happy family by divesting the unity of our otherness that gave us the power to be considered Americans in the first place.
There seems to be a discussion here that will demand some intellect...hope I can keep up. Diversity has also run it's course...and the idea is also dated. The great melting pot of America seems to have a few chunks of culture that have not dissolved - maybe you should turn up the heat? There is a cooling taking place that further separates the oil from the water. It is not a case of being one big happy family. It is probably more of a case of putting an end to saying we are from a different tribe and family. Constantly being reminded of race through titles and labels is also dated...It might be time that we let natural evolution take place.

People should just shut up and keep their culture - religion and political leanings to themselves...we talk to much and do little.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:43 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I responded to a claim from someone, wherein I gave my opinion on why the claims he made wouldn't necessarily lead to the conclusions that he gave.

For a black American who does not consider himself a victim, my post does not apply. It applies only to the people for which the post I responded to applies, which are blacks who blame whites for their problems instead of working to solve them themselves. Going on a rant about blacks not considering themselves victims is entirely pointless and irrelevant. The post I made does not make a claim that blacks consider themselves victims, it posits a reason for why those who do consider themselves victims may not be responsible for it.

The rest of your post flowing from an incorrect assumption and consisting largely of ad hominem attacks and hypocritical accusations about lies while making your own unsupported statements, will be ignored.

One suggestion, though, in the future you might want to try apply some critical thinking skills before going off on a foaming at the mouth tantrum and realize that the person whose racism you were hyperventilating about was actually arguing against racism. That their environment which they had no control over rather than some defect within themselves may be the reason for the behavior this person was complaining about.
Black Americans don't consider themselves victims. There isn't one credible study that has ever measured that sentiment within black Americans.

The idea that black Americans sit around blaming white people for their problems is a made up racist fantasy invented by white supremacists.

Look up the origins of this idea of "black victimhood", such a sentiment originally comes right out of the mouths of segregationists and racists.

You keep inserting that foot in mouth and showing your ignorant colors.

The rest of your post is more irrelevant word vomit. You know nothing about black people. Please stop spreading lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies