Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 10:36 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,349,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Thank you Edward. I am well aware of the fact that there are black people that are not Bantu in origin.
Well your post seemed to contradict that.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:47 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,029,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm sorry as much as you like to think that Ghetto culture is not "the" culture of Black America the facts on the ground reveal otherwise. Even non-ghetto Blacks follow this culture, by "keeping it real". So yes for many Blacks this culture is alien but by no means is it a "sub-culture". In fact I would challenge you to identify a culture associated with African-Americans that is more dominant than the hip-hop, thug culture in particular with folks under 40.

I think his comparison of Ellison and Minaj is spot on. Ellison was a premier black talent of his day and Minaj is one today. Why would he compare Ellison who was on top of Black culture to a jazz musician today when jazz is no where near the dominant music genre of Blacks?

You could even argue that the comparison is also apt since both genres jazz and hip hop were born out of the African American experience. Both genres were widely consumed by white audiences. Yet one is uplifting the other not so much.

The comparison highlights how far Black culture has degenerated from one where the goal was excellence as embodied by Ellison to one where degenerate, anti-social behavior is celebrated as embodied by Minaj although I think a better comparison would be Ellison/Lil' Wayne.
LOL..these folks talking about jazz like they know something about that.

Other than that, your overall point does hold some water.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:48 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,543,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

It'd be great if he knew the difference between "Ellison" and "Ellington."

Old 04-18-2012, 10:57 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,273,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Herman Cain IS generalizing a whole race by saying white racism isn't holding blacks back.

All that, and yet you have YET to say "what he said was wrong." Indeed, who is the self hating one here? Kanye West is your typical rapper: an idiot with NO talent spreading the worst of black culture...AND YES, EMINEM IS THE SAME WAY!
I hate rap with a passion...I grew up in urban, black America and always hated it. So tell me: was my biracial hearing growing up black and was his music, therefore, black music? If so...how would "the community" react to me listening to it?

Slash and Zakk Wylde guitar duel/duet - YouTube

And if some had a hard time with the whites in his family accepting him or her, would you say the same thing?

Let me ask you this: what do you even know about your European side? Your European heritage and your European history? You keep going ON AND ON about black this and black that, but you never say anything about your European side. I have defended African achievement on this very thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post23835817

Yet you have yet to say anything good about being half European. Why? Do you not care about your European heritage? Have you never wanted to see where your ancestors came from and see their history and experience there and YOUR culture?
I do want to see Africa someday, especially Ethiopia...do you have any urge to see where your white ancestors came from, or are you too ashamed of them, like Obama is:

"As I imagined myself following Malcolm X’s call, one line in his book stayed me. He spoke of his wish that the white blood that ran through him, there by an act of violence, might somehow be expunged. I knew that, for Malcolm, that wish would never be incidental. I knew as well that traveling down the road to self-respect my own white blood would never recede into mere abstraction. I was left to wonder what else I would be severing if and when I left my mother at some uncharted border."
Source: Dreams from My Father, by Barack Obama, p. 80 Aug 1, 1996

Words of Barack Obama from "Dreams of my Father" « Ivory Dome

You seem to hate your white side, as if listening to the Afro-Aryans around you. You appear to be brainwashed by the black community.

I am PROUD that these were my ancestors:

The Ghana Empire - YouTube

And I am also proud of THESE ancestors, whether or not blacks have a problem with that:

HBO Rome - YouTube

There's nothing wrong with having the blood of two empires in your veins. I am a child of Romulus, and I can't deny that...oh, and there were black people in Rome too.

So what about your European heritage? Or will you deny it to make the "community" happy? I can't deny mine...my ancestors ruling the world for 2,000 years overrides giving a damn about the chumps who enslaved my other ancestors for 200 years and their absurd "one drop rule" that American blacks, with their slave mentality, still cling to

Darn, dude I guess that I was wrong about you after all. After reading all that you have wrote it seems to me that it is not because of your physical appearance why you are catching so much grief from both sides, it is because of your personality and your negative view on a group of people.

My son enjoys many of the same things that you do and he is teaching himself how to play the bass from rock soundtracks. He also with our support has the option of exploring various other non-black traditional endeavors, and also like yourself he does not like rap music either. But if I ever heard him say a discouraging thing about black women in general I would bust him in his mouth! His mother is black as well as one of his grandmothers his other one is german. My son is also blessed with Italian, Mexican, and a English/Italian aunts.

There are many bad apples in every group but to shun any of them based upon the actions of a few is not right. Yes, there are things that my ethnic brothers do that embarrass the hell out of me but I dare not shun them, but I do let them know about their actions. I readily admit I do dog edward a because he is clueless about this country's history, but in your case you are blaming everyone else for your own misgivings.

This is not a personal attack, just an observation based on what you have posted about my mother, my grandmother, my aunts and my sisters

Old 04-18-2012, 10:59 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,273,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post

What does that tell you about the overall understanding of black culture and history

Old 04-18-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
You know what I mean.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
What does that tell you about the overall understanding of black culture and history
Don't worry about that, worry about the youth of your people running amok.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

I'll readily admit I'm not a big jazz fan, maybe when I grow older.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:21 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,543,111 times
Quote:
Don't worry about that, worry about the youth of your people running amok.
I think you should worry more, since you're so obsessed with the topic.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:21 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,029,172 times
Quote:
I'll readily admit I'm not a big jazz fan, maybe when I grow older.
Miles, Bird, and Diz were stars before they were 22. You've gotta get into it now...not later.

But that's a good point. Most folks don't come around until they're older. I can't understand why. It's a young person's music despite the perception. I was born into it so i guess it's easy for me to be so judgemental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies