Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 02:12 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
After reading this, all I can really recommend the OP to do is move somewhere where the black culture isn't "ghetto minded" and where the whites don't equate blacks with ghettoness. Even though the OP comes off as emotional, many of the black respondents (who are probably from militant black communities and have been the beneficiaries of the current pitiful state of the black culture) are giving equally narrow-minded replies, using the "it's how the black culture be" rationalization hamster to justify the hatred victorianpunk has received. This is the dangers of a mob mentality in that no matters who's right in the world of reason, the mob has the final say. Not to say that the OP is completely right in thinking all blacks are like the ones he/she interacts with daily.

Only thing I can recommend is that if the OP is in school, get a degree that is marketable to ANYWHERE in this country (Pre-Med, accounting, and especially STEM degrees), and then make your plans to get the Hell out of Dodge.
Exactly. We are not a monolithic group of people. He went as far too criticize everything about blacks, even food. Most black people I know don't even eat pig feet, even in the hood. Many people in the hood even look down on it. What the I want the OP to know is all groups of people have a group of knuckleheads. It does not matter what race of people you are around. If these people are not progressive, they will hinder your development.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:17 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
That's another thing which irritates me as well.

It's very common in discussions regarding Detroit. It's well known that many folks equate "Detroiters" with "Blacks", so the blacks here do militantly chant that same "it's how we be" line here to justify the problems Detroit face and Detroit's half-ass backwards culture. The problem is that does nothing to resolves the issues the city faces, nor does it do anything to nullify the stereotypes people have of Detroit and its citizens. You come across as uneducated sheeple instead and the city is still seen as a hellhole no one wants a part of. If anything, it breeds MORE insularity and causes the above situation to worsen.
Well the KKK exists in every part of the country!

Old 04-28-2012, 02:49 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Honestly, I think that your anger stems from not being around a diverse group of Black Americans because there is nothing "unusal" or "exotic" about your racial background to me. Granted, I was born and raised in Los Angeles amongst in a community of middle/upper class Black Creoles and Blacks.

So forgive me if I'm wrong but the picture that I'm getting is that your intellectual Black American father married your Italian (or Italian American) mother and raised you in a lower/working class Black neighborhood (ie the ghetto).

But you are an adult now. You have the power to live wherever you so desire so I am not understanding the anti-Black women rants. You control whether or not you want to live in an area that has "ghetto" Black people, "barrio" Latinos or "trailer park" White people...or if you want to live in a more upscale area. No one is stopping you. Move to an area where you don't have to encounter those whom you dislike. Its easy.
Exactly! He keeps whining about "ghetto" blacks, but apparently doesn't realize, only those who live in that environment or choose that caliber of associates have to deal with their behavior on a regular basis. We can't pick our family, but we certainly can pick our friends. I don't associate with uncouth people. Nor go to places they frequent. Obviously, he doesn't travel in the right black circles. Otherwise, he would meet plenty of classy, intelligent, and articulate black women. And, contrary to his belief, quite a few are also beautiful, by any standards.

If you lie down with dogs. . . . .

Old 04-28-2012, 04:01 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post

I wasn't going to post in this thread, ne thing that irritates me more is the vitriol, unfounded hate mixed-race blacks have for other blacks.
But the vitrol, unfounded hate pure blacks have for mixed race people who have black in them is perfectly okay?

Press release: Outright discrimination against Coloured community nothing new

Kanye West: mixed race women are “mutts” and exist solely for music videos | Racialicious - the intersection of race and pop culture

Thank you for letting us all know where you stand...

Old 04-28-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
After reading this, all I can really recommend the OP to do is move somewhere where the black culture isn't "ghetto minded" and where the whites don't equate blacks with ghettoness. Even though the OP comes off as emotional, many of the black respondents (who are probably from militant black communities and have been the beneficiaries of the current pitiful state of the black culture) are giving equally narrow-minded replies, using the "it's how the black culture be" rationalization hamster to justify the hatred victorianpunk has received. This is the dangers of a mob mentality in that no matters who's right in the world of reason, the mob has the final say. Not to say that the OP is completely right in thinking all blacks are like the ones he/she interacts with daily.
I'm basically saying "I hate the ghetto black culture and how blacks seem to equate that ghettoness with authenticity," and these jokers say "well, dat's just da way black folks be. Wat, ya' hatin' on your own peoples?"

Quote:
Only thing I can recommend is that if the OP is in school, get a degree that is marketable to ANYWHERE in this country (Pre-Med, accounting, and especially STEM degrees), and then make your plans to get the Hell out of Dodge.
Do degree, but I live in a Seattle suburb now...but even here, so many of the blacks (there I say, a majority) equate authenticity with being ghetto minded. Every other ethnic group tries to get away from their social ills...only the American blacks embrace it and claim those awful habits as "our culture." And then they wonder why they lag behind on everything.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Honestly, I think that your anger stems from not being around a diverse group of Black Americans because there is nothing "unusal" or "exotic" about your racial background to me. Granted, I was born and raised in Los Angeles amongst in a community of middle/upper class Black Creoles and Blacks.
You try living here:

ELIZABETH, NEW JERSEY GHETTO! - YouTube

And come back to me.

Quote:
So forgive me if I'm wrong but the picture that I'm getting is that your intellectual Black American father married your Italian (or Italian American) mother and raised you in a lower/working class Black neighborhood (ie the ghetto).
My father was anything but "intellectual." I just actually read and formed my own opinions on the world around me.

Quote:
But you are an adult now. You have the power to live wherever you so desire so I am not understanding the anti-Black women rants. You control whether or not you want to live in an area that has "ghetto" Black people, "barrio" Latinos or "trailer park" White people...or if you want to live in a more upscale area. No one is stopping you. Move to an area where you don't have to encounter those whom you dislike. Its easy.

Again, I live in a middle class suburb of Seattle and still, blacks seem to WANT to be ghetto. For them, black=ghetto. I mean, whites look down on trailer trash and Mexicans look down on "nacos", but blacks seem to embrace ghettodom and to denounce it is to be a "self hating black person."

I mean...why oh why is Tyrone Jackson, a drop out with a rap sheet longer than Yao Ming's arm and more kids than I have shoes "my brotha?" Do whites in the suburbs care about the trailer trash? No...but blacks, no matter what their backgrounds, seem to respect and even want to emulate the ghetto, hoodlum, criminal culture which is modern black culture.

But again, being here makes it easier...I just don't usually associate with black Americans. As a result, I'm better as a result and I pull my hair out less often.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Exactly! He keeps whining about "ghetto" blacks, but apparently doesn't realize, only those who live in that environment or choose that caliber of associates have to deal with their behavior on a regular basis. We can't pick our family, but we certainly can pick our friends. I don't associate with uncouth people. Nor go to places they frequent. Obviously, he doesn't travel in the right black circles. Otherwise, he would meet plenty of classy, intelligent, and articulate black women. And, contrary to his belief, quite a few are also beautiful, by any standards.

If you lie down with dogs. . . . .
For every intelligent, classy black woman there are ten to fifteen "Ladashas" and "Rishondas". Not to mention that the "classy" black women are usually not black but mixed like I am...

Old 04-28-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
For every intelligent, classy black woman there are ten to fifteen "Ladashas" and "Rishondas". Not to mention that the "classy" black women are usually not black but mixed like I am...
Why, of course. What on earth was I thinking? Everyone knows a woman MUST be at least half white to be classy. You're hopeless.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Why, of course. What on earth was I thinking? Everyone knows a woman MUST be at least half white to be classy. You're hopeless.
I NEVER said they had to be, only that they usually are...why does everyone thing Alicia Keys is a beautiful black woman? She's mixed. There's an example.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I NEVER said they had to be, only that they usually are...why does everyone thing Alicia Keys is a beautiful black woman? She's mixed. There's an example.
They "usually are" only in YOUR mind. And, looks have nothing to do with class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies