Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 02:00 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
I was referring to the POOREST cities in the US. My point of THE post that it comes in all race, not just BLACK! We were talking about ghettos which is usually poor and crime. I was talking about economic status!

List of the poorest places in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Other poor white cities
1. Tobin, CA-100%
2. Muniz, TX-63.74%
3. Indian Hills, TX-57.47

From your post, your are HIGHLY uneducated YOURSELF because again I wasn't referring to crime.

I didn't go to Detroit Public schools. You have issues that I don't need to address so I will skip over your rude comments before I get kicked off the forum for saying where you CAN GO!
Another fail. Just because a city is poor doesn't mean that it is a den of violent crime. Try again.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:09 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I guess that makes me one as well, considering that I grew up in the so-called-hood in a two parent home of working adults who have never been in jail. I in-turn served 20 years in the military, married, working full-time own a house (paid for) and have two boys which neither has ever been in jail or did drugs. My youngest has had his own business since he was 17 and the other is in the Air Force.

I can name at least six others that grew up in the same environment but are doing better than myself! This is the reason that people like edward a and victorianpunk **** me off by generalizing
Thanks for sharing your heart warming anecdotal stories with us. I choose to focus on stats which give richer meaner when discussing population groups. Do you have any stats that back up your opinion?

Old 04-30-2012, 02:15 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Another fail. Just because a city is poor doesn't mean that it is a den of violent crime. Try again.
I didn't say that. I said GHETTO. You keep mentioning the black GHETTO, NOT CRIME. You failed. Educated yourself. Your reference to GHETTO has little to do with crime.

A ghetto is a section of a city predominantly occupied by a group who live there, especially because of social, economic, or legal issues.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:15 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,472,568 times
Quote:
I scoff at it because it's not reflected in voting patterns and African American culture. Even in this thread alone you have Black posters denouncing anyone with a different view as an Uncle Tom. So evidently African Americans feel that there is only one acceptable way to think of an issue or one is not authentically Black.
You are doing it right now, lol. It actually is reflected in African American culture. You should check out sometime. Anyway, here is some homework since you want to use this thread as a accurate cultural reference: List all the black posters in this thread and pick the ones that actually point out the posters that actually said a different view makes them an Uncle Tom. I'll wait. 80+ pages. I'll check back in before I go to sleep tonight.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:25 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,042 times
Quote:
I think that he meant Steubenville WV

Do honestly believe that blacks own the crime wave phenom? Perhaps you should look more at the history of this country (which I know that you do know) Chicago in the 30's, New York in the 20's, and pretty much everywhere in the south at the turn of the century.

My main beef is that for some reason you don't equate proverty with crime, when was the last time that you heard that wealthy blacks are the reason for any form of a "crime wave"
Thanks, I meant Steubenville WV.

You hit the nail on the head. How the heck is OP relating poverty to crime? Little education! Stop mentioning ghetto in most of your post than start referring to crime. the two are separate issues with different definitions.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:43 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,313,769 times
Quote:
Thanks for sharing your heart warming anecdotal stories with us. I choose to focus on stats which give richer meaner when discussing population groups. Do you have any stats that back up your opinion?
The murder rates in predominately wealthy black or otherwise areas are so low they are pretty much inmeasurable which is why you cannot find any stats on them. If you can provide them it would greatly appreciated.

Btw, I mentioned a little of my own background to prove that everyone from the "ghetto" does not have that type of mentality and some of us move on. It was never meant to impress (not that it did anyway) anyone

Old 05-01-2012, 12:53 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,313,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
Thanks, I meant Steubenville WV.

You hit the nail on the head. How the heck is OP relating poverty to crime? Little education! Stop mentioning ghetto in most of your post than start referring to crime. the two are separate issues with different definitions.
I'm sorry it was Steubenville Oh and Weirton Wv they are cities divided by a bridge and are (were) at war with one another. I reason that I know this was because I lived in Pittsburgh and traveled there quite often. But you are right they both have a dominate white population and have a rather high crime rate for such small cities.

I disagree with you on one thing extreme proverty can be a catalyst for criminal behavior. If people can't find legal employment to feed their families the next logical move would to do it illegally. Desparation = crime

But I also agree that edward a, misuse of the word "ghetto" implies that the majority of blacks dwell in them and they do not strive to do better. victorianpunk, due to his limited knowledge of the extremes of American black culture consistantly makes negative remarks about what is going on in the one that he is in, not looking at it as a whole

Old 05-01-2012, 01:53 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,142 times
Quote:
I think that he meant Steubenville WV

Do honestly believe that blacks own the crime wave phenom? Perhaps you should look more at the history of this country (which I know that you do know) Chicago in the 30's, New York in the 20's, and pretty much everywhere in the south at the turn of the century.

My main beef is that for some reason you don't equate proverty with crime, when was the last time that you heard that wealthy blacks are the reason for any form of a "crime wave"

Check these stats.

//www.city-data.com/city/Portsmouth-Ohio.html
That has a higher crime rate than some of the major black majority cities.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:09 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,632,660 times
In regards to ghettos and crime, far as I know, white ghettos aka trailer parks, etc have less crime than black ghettos, which is weird cuz meth usually makes people act the fuc* up at the least. I'm sure there is quite a bit of problems, but I don't think poor white areas are doing as bad as poor black areas. Poverty is the main cause of crime in any race, but seems like poor blacks are more aggressive than poor whites, on average. It might be an inferiority complex-realizing they get looked down upon and feeling like second class, which is true to some extent, but not as bad as some of them ignorant types feel (it's not 1950s anymore), thus even more aggression. Another thing-I don't know how true is this, but I heard blacks have higher testosterone levels, which might equate to higher acting up/crime rate.

Another big thing responsible for state of the black ghettos-lack of family structure and guidance, single parent families, rise of feminism. Kids grow up ignorant and troublesome, have kids themselves from 12 diff people, and the cycle continues. The whites are starting to have that problem too now.
Additional contributors-the inept welfare system, which literally feeds this situation partly and drug epidemics from back in the day that brought violent gangs with guns and money=more bloodshed=more destruction.
This might be a sensitive topic, but these are just my assessments from what I've seen first hand in different hoods. (white and black)

Old 05-01-2012, 04:31 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
In regards to ghettos and crime, far as I know, white ghettos aka trailer parks, etc have less crime than black ghettos, which is weird cuz meth usually makes people act the fuc* up at the least. I'm sure there is quite a bit of problems, but I don't think poor white areas are doing as bad as poor black areas. Poverty is the main cause of crime in any race, but seems like poor blacks are more aggressive than poor whites, on average. It might be an inferiority complex-realizing they get looked down upon and feeling like second class, which is true to some extent, but not as bad as some of them ignorant types feel (it's not 1950s anymore), thus even more aggression. Another thing-I don't know how true is this, but I heard blacks have higher testosterone levels, which might equate to higher acting up/crime rate.

Another big thing responsible for state of the black ghettos-lack of family structure and guidance, single parent families, rise of feminism. Kids grow up ignorant and troublesome, have kids themselves from 12 diff people, and the cycle continues. The whites are starting to have that problem too now.
Additional contributors-the inept welfare system, which literally feeds this situation partly and drug epidemics from back in the day that brought violent gangs with guns and money=more bloodshed=more destruction.
This might be a sensitive topic, but these are just my assessments from what I've seen first hand in different hoods. (white and black)

Not all poor white areas are trailer parks. The link I posted is a poor white majority city. It does worst than some black ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.