Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 11:00 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Several Black people told me straight up they don't respect the ghetto life cause they got out. Their attitude is if "I" could do it: why not "you"? The "you" being hood rats.
You said it for me. I had it rough too, but I never joined a gang or sold drugs...I just locked myself in my room and read and studied. If I could do it, why can't they? I may have grown in the ghetto, but I was never OF the ghetto. I got out when I was nineteen and never looked back.

Really, it isn't that hard to get a alright job and get an apartment in a slightly nicer part of town and study and get a better job.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:06 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,375,751 times
victorianpunk, your original post reminded of an interview Oprah Winfrey did with Tiger Woods years ago. Tiger Woods is also of mixed ethnic and racial parentage, although in his case his mother isn't Italian but Thai. His father also had a similar ethnic mix to your father.
Anyhow, Oprah was trying get Tiger Woods to accept that he could really only identify himself as black even though he stated in the interview he thought of himself as mixed race.
Oprah was trying to pressure him into some total identification with blacks and anything less was some kind of betrayal.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

What people like victorianpunk forget is that those of us who were raised with privilege could just as easily turn our noses up at someone like him. He may have been able to educate himself but he obviously would not have the hallmarks of being raised middle/upper class. Should he be penalized for that fact as he penalizes others?
I have probably forgotten more about wine than you know (level one Som, going for my level two next year) speak proper, even antiquated English and have read more literature (from Fitzgerald to Dostoevsky, from Edmund Spenser to Steinbeck) than most. But all that is besides the point.

I NEVER alluded to people being lower because of where they came from, but because of what they CHOOSE TO BE. If you CHOOSE to get a girl pregnant at sixteen, CHOOSE to join a gang and CHOOSE to drop out of highschool you are nothing but ghetto slime. One does not have to be a robber baron or a knight regent to be something other than ghetto slime. All one has to do is not be an uncivilized piece of riffraff.

However, in modern black culture, the choice to be less than dirt is celebrated, while the choice to get a job and an education is looked down upon.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
victorianpunk, your original post reminded of an interview Oprah Winfrey did with Tiger Woods years ago. Tiger Woods is also of mixed ethnic and racial parentage, although in his case his mother isn't Italian but Thai. His father also had a similar ethnic mix to your father.
Anyhow, Oprah was trying get Tiger Woods to accept that he could really only identify himself as black even though he stated in the interview he thought of himself as mixed race.
Oprah was trying to pressure him into some some total identification with blacks and anything less was some kind of betrayal.

Exactly. I am not denying that I am African, slave blooded and I am proud of being African, as most mulattoes are. I am only saying that, just as Woods would never deny his Thai heritage, I can never deny my Italian side. If we mulattoes identified as black, we would be denying the other part of us just as we would be denying our black side if we said we were white.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:16 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I have probably forgotten more about wine than you know (level one Som, going for my level two next year) speak proper, even antiquated English and have read more literature (from Fitzgerald to Dostoevsky, from Edmund Spenser to Steinbeck) than most. But all that is besides the point.

I NEVER alluded to people being lower because of where they came from, but because of what they CHOOSE TO BE. If you CHOOSE to get a girl pregnant at sixteen, CHOOSE to join a gang and CHOOSE to drop out of highschool you are nothing but ghetto slime. One does not have to be a robber baron or a knight regent to be something other than ghetto slime. All one has to do is not be an uncivilized piece of riffraff.

However, in modern black culture, the choice to be less than dirt is celebrated, while the choice to get a job and an education is looked down upon.
Your parents cared obviously. What about the kids who are homeless,who don't even have a door to unlock? What about the ones getting abused? They didn't choose to be here or do anything. Yet you want to condemn them.

I am not talking about teens either. I'm talking about 7 and 8 year old boys and girls. You want to call a 7 year old ghetto slime?

Old 05-30-2012, 11:18 PM

This is why the black community like the black panthers, the nation of Islam,etc.
Even though some believe they are hate groups,they at least mentor youths to become better people. I can't egt mad at them. Reading some of these posts,I can now say I'm not sure if this world will continue any longer.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Several Black people told me straight up they don't respect the ghetto life cause they got out. Their attitude is if "I" could do it: why not "you"? The "you" being hood rats.
Fine,but what about the ones who are TRYING to get out? They need that little extra push imo. They already have people from the ghetto trying to pull them their way,so they need the other side for support.(the blacks who made it)

Old 05-30-2012, 11:34 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,421,908 times
It's entertaining yet sad reading about all the negative comments about black people but it's not shocking for the racists and self hating Uncle Toms to bypass the mass crime and mental illness displayed by white people in recent years.

For example, most recently the white guy who ripped the face off a guy in Florida, another white guy that stabbed himself and threw his flesh at a cop, a guy that shoot innocent people in a coffee shop today and the twisted mind of a husband that was accused of killing his wife then goes on to pull his innocent kids into a house and blew it up. That's just a small fraction of this years shocking ghetto actions committed by whites on the innocent public or family members.

You really want to talk about the ghetto? Well let's not forget about the hundreds if not thousands of white people that cause the most shocking and gruesome crimes of our time. No one is focusing on that more than they are focusing on the gays, blacks and Obama on this forum! Stop spinning the world as you see fit.

Last edited by KayAnn246; 05-30-2012 at 11:48 PM..

Old 05-31-2012, 12:12 AM

191 posts, read 242,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post

You, sir, are a piece of work. If you are content with your perception of yourself and others, then cool. But you come off as someone who is not happy with himself and maybe that's where your negative feeling of American Blacks is coming from.

This whole, 'I got mine, you get yours' mentality is just awful. I don't see how somebody can complain about 'ghetto slime' and do absolutely nothing to make a positive contribution in the life of one kid. Calling somebody a piece of crap over and over does not inspire them to greatness......it just doesn't work like that.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:52 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,269 times
Why is this thread still open? There was nothing controversial about this at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies