Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 03:53 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They are the only people who are more than substance -- whatever substance is. It's the atheists who are nothing but a mere mass of molecules. Atheists have no soul. No meaning to their lives. They believe in nothing at all. To the grave you go, your molecules will break down and that's all there is or ever was to your existence. Your existence was just some temporary arrangement of some molecules. Your choice to be nothing.
You don't have a clue, plus you disregard the cardinal rule of writing - never write in a state of rage, it usually becomes an incoherent and thoughtless rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 04:47 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Why is America anti-intellectual?
Here's a partial explanation:

Brainwashed Americans! - YouTube

When you finish viewing this video, go pray to your flat screen god.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:12 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I will let Barry Goldwater speak on that subject:

I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in 'A,' 'B,' 'C,' and 'D.' Just who do they think they are?
The more I hear from this guy, the more I like him.

Goldwater would be considered a goosestepping communist by the current GOP base.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:21 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
The more I hear from this guy, the more I like him.

Goldwater would be considered a goosestepping communist by the current GOP base.
You wouldn't have liked him in 1964.

The Democrats and the MSM had him painted as a goose-stepping Nazi. The tune went like this: "it's vitally important to vote for Lyndon Johnson to keep that nut Goldwater out of the White House. Why, that madman might get us involved in a war. In Asia. Which everyone knows would be a disaster."

Fact: LBJ's Democrat brain trust ("the best and the brightest") got us into Vietnam.

Fact: Democrats can be just as moronic as the GOP...and it's been proven many times.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 04-14-2012 at 05:31 PM..

Old 04-14-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Religious people are not known for substance.
This is a remarkably uninformed comment.

Just within the Catholic Tradition, they have dozens, if not hundreds of fine universities they founded in America and Europe. There are literally thousands of religious intellectuals in that tradition alone.

Pondering the essence of our meaning and purpose on earth seems to me to be the very essence of substance.

The challenging thing with religion is the intolerance it often breeds in the faithful, but those who truly explore the critical questions have been at the intellectual vangard of western and eastern traditions for millenia. And most of us with religious and scientific training see that they sharpen different parts of the mind and spirit (or if you prefer, character).

The fundamentalist versions of the JudeoChristianIslam triad seem to be the most inclined towards attitudes of dominance and intolerance, but most eastern traditions and quite a few western (Quaker, Unitarian, etc.) are much more open to incorporating ideas from science and other traditions. Not all religious people follow the anti-intellectual strains.

I do suspect that many hardcore conservatives are also fundamentalist evangelicals. I am not impressed with their intellectual contributions from where I sit (Bob Jones U. and Liberty University,etc.,etc.), I would be gladly corrected, but I just don't see much contribution other than to say other people are stupid and evil (Rick Warren might be an exception),and I don't know how much fo the anti-intellectualness is religion or the stubborn contrariness of rural southern culture. The northern tier of states have always dominated the intellectual output of the country, and still do.

Catholic Intellectuals:

Orestes Brownson (1803–1876), New England public-spirited intellectual. He wrote: “Catholics are better fitted by their religion to comprehend the real character of the American constitution than any other class of Americans.”
John Courtney Murray (1904-1967), New York Jesuit theologian. He wrote: “America has raised the standard of living to historically unknown heights. …We have multiplied our needs endlessly and thereby multiplied our sorrows."
John Senior (1923-1999). Columbia University student of Mark Van Doren whose University of Kansas great books program “made converts without proselytizing.” Kansas' state motto “To the stars, through difficulty” inspired him.
Avery Dulles (1918-2008), convert Jesuit theologian and cardinal, son of John Foster Dulles. Warning against “excessive and indiscreet accommodation," he said, "Catholicism will be well-advised to cultivate a measured, prudent counterculturalism.”
James Schall (1928-) Prolific Jesuit political philosopher. Schall wrote: “No one will seek the highest [things] if he believes that there is no truth, that nothing is his fault, and that government will guarantee his wants.”
Ralph McInerny (1929-2010) a philosophy professor, novelist, poet and translator of Aquinas. Said McInerny: “It is the writing, producing a well-made story, that counts. All the rest is gravy.”
Richard John Neuhaus (1936-2009) Canadian-Texan public-spirited intellectual. “Once religion is reduced to nothing more than privatized conscience, the public square has only two actors in it — the state and the individual,” Neuhaus wrote
Mary Ann Glendon (1938-) Harvard law professor, former Vatican ambassador. She wrote: “All who are ... committed to the advancement of women can and must offer a woman or a girl who is pregnant, frightened, and alone a better alternative than the destruction of her own unborn child."
George Weigel (1951-) papal biographer, public-spirited intellectual. He wrote: “Ideas are not intellectuals' toys: ideas have consequences, for good and for ill, in what even intellectuals sometimes call ‘the real world.’”
Robert P. George (1955-) Princeton jurisprudence professor. He wrote: “The impulse to redefine marriage in order to recognize same-sex and multiple partner relationships is a symptom, rather than the cause, of the erosion of the marriage culture.”

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 04-14-2012 at 05:41 PM..

Old 04-14-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
You wouldn't have liked him in 1964.

The Democrats and the MSM had him painted as a goose-stepping Nazi. The tune went like this: it's vitally important to vote for Lyndon Johnson to keep that nut Goldwater out of the White House. Why, that madman might get us involved in a war. In Asia. Which everyone knows would be a disaster.

Fact: LBJ's Democrat brain trust ("the best and the brightest") got us into Vietnam. Fact: Democrats can be just as moronic as the GOP...and it's been proven many times.
Sure, back in those days the Democrats controlled the dialogue like mafia bosses. That is why we eventually had the Reagan revolution. But now the pendulum is so far to the right, and let's face it the right rules the political circus, it is kind of the opposite situation.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:35 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
They are the only people who are more than substance -- whatever substance is. It's the atheists who are nothing but a mere mass of molecules. Atheists have no soul. No meaning to their lives. They believe in nothing at all. To the grave you go, your molecules will break down and that's all there is or ever was to your existence. Your existence was just some temporary arrangement of some molecules. Your choice to be nothing.
This is both right and wrong at the same time, impressive I am an Atheist who believes in plenty of things... I also believe that just because our emotions are cause by chemical reactions doesn't necessarily make them any less important. As for Atheists not having any soul...well, that's a completely different debate since we don't know if there are souls in the first place.

As for the bolded portion, the physical body will perish, but a persons ideas and knowledge will hopefully touch others for generations to come. I'm hoping my existence is more than just my body, and that my experiences, thoughts and knowledge will persist on.

http://schuhlelewis.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/petri-305x435.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-14-2012, 05:43 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,665,184 times
The country is stupider and you can thank tv, inparticular reality tv. When I grew up I watched Beavis and Buttkead and thought what retards... I dont want to be like them. Today's youth watch Jersey Shore and do want to be like them

Old 04-14-2012, 05:47 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
And it's you who has to resort to personal insults to defend your atheism.

Fine with me if you want to believe in nothing at all. If you believe your life is meaningless and there is no purpose to it -- have at it. You will die and rot away because religion also teaches that there's only something beyond this world for those who believe.

Atheists are like blind people who feel that because they cannot see something that it cannot exist.
That is a bit of a strawman, dont you think?

Just because he does not believe in your god his life has no purpose? Why because the ONLY purpose you have is the one that a belief in god gives you? The only meaning to your life is a religious one?

That seems far more sad to me.

Atheists believe this is all we have, so we make the most of it. Friends, family, community, they are what we live for. Sad that you only find meaning in something you cannot see, touch or prove in anyway.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:50 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
In huge parts of America, being intelligent is something that is looked down upon. Believing religion to be illogical superstition is looked down upon. Being logical, isn't it ignorant to hate Americans who excel in science and math because they don't believe a weird invisible man from 200 years ago is their savior? Do you think America is anti-intellectual?
Who is this weird invisible man from 1812 that you speak of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies