Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 02:57 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
I think that whenever you have situations like this or the Trayvon Martin case, the killer should be arrested immediately even if they claim self-defense and even if there may be some validity to their claim. This allows for the minute details/facts of the case to be thoroughly investigated and allows the case to be litigated in court, which mitigates any favoritism or bias by police. If the killer is truly innocent, they should be able to have their attorney prove that in court and throughout the litigation process quite easily. If they can't do that, then they should stay in jail just like any other homicide suspect.
I completely disagree with this. So if I'm attacked by someone, I shoot them, they die, you're going to add insult to injury by arresting me right on the spot? That's the biggest pile of BS I've ever heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 02:59 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
This is just wrong. Firstly the whole point of the thread is about the race reversal and no arrest was made. Nor was there a racial profiling case made about it.

Even worse is your sociological analysis of it. The bias is for black lawlessness vs white institutional racism. That of course isn't surprising because there has been institutional racism and black crime. Thus a black neighborhood watchmen is actually go to evade this bias because he is taking a law and order position which does not fall along the usual psychological lines. I don't think I have seen any concern among whites about black law enforcement having a bias against them. It may exist but it is not where the apprehensions are.
Except that it is a false equivalency.
Had an arrest been made in the first few days after Trayvon Martin was shot maybe, just maybe the OP would have a valid comparison.

If the investigation had been ongoing, as this one appears to be, a few days after Trayvon Martin was shot, again, maybe the OP would have a valid comparison.

However, the OP and many other posters are looking at this through a very smoky lens. Unless/until this drags on in the exact same manner AND this young man's parents get NO answers for weeks AND it takes involvement from outside agencies to get someone off their butts to take this seriously there will NEVER be a valid comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies