U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 11:56 PM

101 posts, read 242,798 times

Advertisements

Ok, now that most of the country seems to have given up on the current administration, I am tempted to ask this: irrespective of if we get a Republican or a Democratic administration, what expectations do you have of the new president. Please also state your affiliation (Republican /Democratic /Independent). You can add as many expectations as you want, but please keep each expectation to a line. I will start with mine (have only one):

1) Mr. President, please stop this mindless war and bring our troops home.

Affiliation: Independent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 12:01 AM

1,001 posts, read 2,948,472 times
1) Mr. President, please take some of that money you're spending on military-related expenditures, and start spending it on education.

2) Mr. President, do what you can to unturn the last administration's ridiculous and disastrous environmental policies.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:53 AM

12,345 posts, read 19,862,323 times
#1 Mr. President-please follow the Constitution and more importantly restore our founding principles regarding it.Remember that it says what the Federal government can do(which is limited),it is not meant to be interpreted as " it doesn't say we can't do it,then we can".

affiliation;Republican with Libertarian core

Old 09-15-2007, 01:25 AM

#2Mr.President,I was kind enough to draft a short list of your agenda.

Religion-NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS
Marriage-NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS
Education-NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS
Foreign governments-NONE OF YOUR BUSINESSother than trade
Exporting Democracy-NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS
Consumables other than food standards(ATF)NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS
Firearm ownership-NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS
Health care-InsuranceNONE OF YOUR BUSINESS,sir may I add though that correcting certain profiteering by companies&lawers and abuse should be taken issue though,but as to alow fairness within a free market.
Personal wealth-NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS
War without proper declaration/nation building-NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS

Mr,President,to all issues stated above ,refere to the 10th amendment regarding states rights and rights of the individual respectively.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:58 AM

President;lionking,under this agenda I'm basically a do nothing president,what am I responsible for then?

lionking;no sir in fact you have much responsibilty in your hands upholding the Constitution,as to see that Americans are left to live free and make their own decisions in life.And to allow state governments to handle many issues which allows Americans to control their own lives at a local level were they have a better chance of being heard.Also sir,one federal plan that's wrong the whole country suffers while if left to local governments issues and results can be tried and good or bad results can be adopted or dismissed.

President;ok,but what am to do at a federal level?

lionking;sir for one uphold civil rights,our Declaration says all men are created equal.

lionking;sir,it is the federal governments duty to regulate trade,to be ambassador among nations,and to maintain a strong military for defense,but only to be used if attacked and with proper declarations of war.

lionking;sir,it is the federal government duty to maintain a strong border against corruption,but to also maintain a fair law regarding immigration as to allow new citizens into this country.

lionking;sir,it is the federal governments duty to seek out and end corruption,as to allow free markets to flow,but as to not favor global profit and jobs at the expense of American profit and jobs.

lionking;sir this is a huge responsibility in it's self.

President;I do so solemnly swear...........

Old 09-15-2007, 09:01 AM

11,128 posts, read 13,411,414 times
Sadly, peoples expectations are so low that if the President just acts according the Constitution he swears to uphold we will be shocked and amazed.

It is one of the major problems with politics today, as we have so lowered the bar that anything that crawls out from under a rock qualifies as a politician and being people are afraid of getting their shoes dirty, they refrain from stepping on them.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:06 PM

17,740 posts, read 17,292,620 times
Mr. President: Don't even think of blaming any previous administrations for any failures, present and future. That doesn't cut in real life.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:12 PM

5,687 posts, read 10,671,597 times
Seems usually to move into a used facility that has been full of trash, the first best act is start with throwing out the trash. It is even better if you can hire that out. So I would propose the new Pres ship Bush, Cheney, Rumsfield and even Powell and few Senior US Military Officers to the Hague for War Crimes. That would probably stop anybody here from doing something as stupid as the Iraqicide for 100 years or more.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:17 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,698,311 times
1 .Please rein in corporations and stop them from exporting jobs to Indian and China.

2. Eliminate the tax breaks for companies that locate corporate headquarters (i.e., a post office box number in the Caymans or some other island)

3. Please ensure the middle class in this country doesn't disappear. They are the ones that need tax breaks, not the rich.

4. Please do something about the cost of healthcare in this country.

5. Stop borrowing money from China. We can't run the country by piling up deficits.

5. Please stop using social issues (abortion, gay marriage, etc.) to pit people against one another for political advantage.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:20 PM

7,142 posts, read 10,429,279 times
I would expect the new administration to give the nation a fresh start. There should be no more adhering to a particular political agenda. No pandering to the far left, the religious right, or any special interest groups.

Cut taxes AND spending. Eliminate the IRS and establish a minimal flat income tax, or a national sales tax to replace the current system. Many government programs can and should be run by the private sector ... including health care, education, and many other wasteful "entitlements". Eliminate all these government handouts (disguised as tax credits) to people with children. Toss out the church tax exemptions as well. Everyone should pay their share of taxes, only at a much reduced rate!

I expect the new administration to be more concerned about securing our borders ... from terrorists as well as illegal aliens. The new President should be determined to wipe out Osama Bin Laden, and see to it that the Taliban, Al Qaida, or other terrorist networks do not become a dominating force once again. Illegal aliens drive down wages, and burden our health care system. They are law breakers, and not a beneficial part of the U.S. workforce.

The new administration should strictly adhere to the Constitution ... particularly the Bill of Rights. They are in place for a reason! Censorship has gone too far, which is a violation of free speech. Any kind of ban or control on firearms is a violation of the Second Amendment. Individual rights and freedom for LEGAL American citizens should always be a priority over any kind of government action.

As you've probably guessed, I am a Libertarian, but with conservative leanings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies