Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 08:34 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,985,352 times

Advertisements

There is an app available for smart phones that keeps track of Earthquakes.

It's a laymen's tool to track depth, intensity and frequency of quakes around the world.

California has been over due since i was a kid. Biggest quake i've personally felt was a 7.2.... it was in the California desert over 20 yrs. ago...

I can't imagine the San Andreas fault popping at a 8 or more in S.F. or L.A.

What would the country do if the unthinkable happened this summer.

Note: The richest farmland in America is along the I-5 corridor, which sits below sea level.

There is a levy in S.F. that keeps the Pacific from flooding the central valley. If the big one hit not only millions would die, but the Ag industry of California would be history.

» The Ring Of Fire Is Roaring To Life And There Will Be Earthquakes Of Historic Importance Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 08:40 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
No, the San Joaquin Valley is not below sea level. The elevations range from about 25 ft above at Sacrament to 400 feet above at Bakersfield.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:42 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
2012!

Old 04-13-2012, 08:54 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
There is an app available for smart phones that keeps track of Earthquakes.

It's a laymen's tool to track depth, intensity and frequency of quakes around the world.

California has been over due since i was a kid. Biggest quake i've personally felt was a 7.2.... it was in the California desert over 20 yrs. ago...

I can't imagine the San Andreas fault popping at a 8 or more in S.F. or L.A.

What would the country do if the unthinkable happened this summer.

Note: The richest farmland in America is along the I-5 corridor, which sits below sea level.

There is a levy in S.F. that keeps the Pacific from flooding the central valley. If the big one hit not only millions would die, but the Ag industry of California would be history.

» The Ring Of Fire Is Roaring To Life And There Will Be Earthquakes Of Historic Importance Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
Alex Jones. 'Nuff said.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
No, the San Joaquin Valley is not below sea level. The elevations range from about 25 ft above at Sacrament to 400 feet above at Bakersfield.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-15-2014 at 07:52 AM..

Old 04-13-2012, 09:07 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,664,587 times
I'm already buying my beachfront property in Nevada, when California goes for a swim!

Old 04-13-2012, 09:13 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Alex Jones. 'Nuff said.
Indeed. There are a number of inaccurate statements in the article. For example:
Quote:
The magnitude 8.6 earthquake was the most powerful strike-slip earthquake in recorded history. If that earthquake had happened in the United States, it would have probably been the worst natural disaster in U.S. history.
Actually, the most powerful strike-slip earthquake in recorded history was the 1964 "Good Friday" earthquake in Alaska which had a magnitude of 9.2. It did happen in the United States, and it was not the worst natural disaster in U.S. history.

There was also an 7.9 earthquake in November 2002 in Alaska that did only minimal damage and caused no injuries or deaths. There are over 130 active volcanoes in Alaska, and only two are showing current activity. The "Ring of Fire" is not becoming more active, as the article states. Alaska averages just over 1,000 earthquakes per month, with at least one being 5.0 or greater. The vast majority are the result of active volcanoes. They are completely random. Some years we get more earthquakes than other years. The number of earthquakes is not increasing, or gaining in severity. Chile, Alaska, Japan, and Indonesia have always been the target of the biggest earthquakes.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:16 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Since you seem to be unable to read a map, allow me to give you some text...

List of places on land with elevations below sea level - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Yac; 01-15-2014 at 07:52 AM..

Old 04-13-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
I'm already buying my beachfront property in Nevada, when California goes for a swim!
Great idea. The Rulers of Vegas knew where to put the Sin City this time.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Indeed. There are a number of inaccurate statements in the article. For example:

Actually, the most powerful strike-slip earthquake in recorded history was the 1964 "Good Friday" earthquake in Alaska which had a magnitude of 9.2. It did happen in the United States, and it was not the worst natural disaster in U.S. history.

There was also an 7.9 earthquake in November 2002 in Alaska that did only minimal damage and caused no injuries or deaths. There are over 130 active volcanoes in Alaska, and only two are showing current activity. The "Ring of Fire" is not becoming more active, as the article states. Alaska averages just over 1,000 earthquakes per month, with at least one being 5.0 or greater. The vast majority are the result of active volcanoes. They are completely random. Some years we get more earthquakes than other years. The number of earthquakes is not increasing, or gaining in severity. Chile, Alaska, Japan, and Indonesia have always been the target of the biggest earthquakes.
No links to this correction?

Are you sure the Alaska quake was like the article is describing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies