Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Of the past generations of American youth, where do you think today's youth stand?
Better than average 17 16.83%
Average 29 28.71%
Worse than average 49 48.51%
No opinion / Don't know 6 5.94%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 06:58 AM

93 posts, read 71,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
FAR worse. We see it every day. The government has taken away the rights of parents to discipline their won children, and as for the rights of school adminstrators and teachers?? Fuhgetaboudit.

Not only that, but our kids are not taught to stand up for themselves...hence we have this suddenly MNAJOR problem with 'bullying'...which nowadays consists of 'saying mean things' and 'hurting someone's feelings'. We...or should I say, the GOVERNMENT, is in the process of turning our kids into a bunch of whiny, entitled, lazy, confused, rudderless sissies.

Unfortunately, some people don't seem to understand that once in a whikle a kid needs a good kick in the ass to keep them on the right path and teach them right from wrong. It's not so much a punishment as it is an attention getter.

I fear the day that these twits gtake over and we have to depend on THEM to lead.
get off my lawn!

lol, jesus christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 07:05 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor2483 View Post
get off my lawn!

lol, jesus christ.
Best Clint Eastwood movie ever!!!!!!!!!
I watched that movie 4 times. My wife who is Thai didn't find it as amusing as I did.
Swamp rats!!!!!! Jesus....

Old 04-14-2012, 07:10 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,143,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Do you think today's youth (Generation Y, The Millenials) - let's use 15 to 30 as an age range - are better, worse, or average, compared with past generations of American youth?
Nope, no different.

Every generation has a "youth of today" and they all seemed worse compared to the glowing memory-dimmed youth of our own..

IF you take a look at history humans are no worse today than they were 100 years ago, 1,000 years ago, 2,000 years ago.

Human nature hasn't changed and humans haven't changed.

We may KNOW about the bad stuff faster and louder but there isn't more of it.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:10 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,458,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
That's funny,because every adult I ever came across told me the homework their children are bringing home is harder than anything they themselves did in school.

What I think happened is not that this generation is dummer,but the rest of the world caught up.
I used to feel this way about the kids I was tutoring, who were only 5 to 10 years younger than me. I can't imagine what it must be like for parents who haven't been in grade school for 30 years.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:18 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,164 times
Default Do you think youth today are better or worse than past generations?

They're OK. As we age, a lot of us tend to look down our noses at the kids growing up behind us. But each generation reaches new heights and the human race progresses.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:20 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,667,161 times
I think many of them are smarter than the older generation. They are more realistic. They get told about this work ethic. Since we are living longer they get to see their grand parents, who worked 40 years and save hundreds of thousands of dollars, spend it staring at a wall in a nursing home

Some of them are trying get through college while their parents are losing their jobs and homes. They have asked them selves what is all this for? Go to college,get in debt, so you get a good job. While the guy with a GED who drives the street cleaner makes as much as a teacher.

I think they are wiser. They know there are no guarantees, no do overs and life is short.
All those things my parents wanted for me to do ,Get a good job, get a college education, buy a home, save your money don't work all the time anymore. The way to be happy as an oldster is to pay attention to the younger generation. They don't marry and have kids right away, they don't look at every high paying job like its the holy grail, Houses are pretty cheap and they can't imagine owning such an albatross. I know young guys who put off college to work a job that pays more than a college degree will get them.

I'm actually envious of them because Going to college, getting a good job , and getting married as it turns out is not what really mattered for me, I could of by passed them all and still be where I am today. Just because we don't understand the New Paradigm, is no reason to knock it

Last edited by thriftylefty; 04-14-2012 at 08:32 AM..

Old 04-14-2012, 08:25 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,194,543 times
Quote:
Bull. Property taxes have certainly increased. Wages haven't.
From: The Tax Foundation - Property Taxes on Owner-Occupied Housing by State, 2004 - 2009

The median property tax on a single family home in 2010 was $1,917 annually. Come on, that is what you're using to support your claim that your generation can't afford homes that cost less in real dollars than they did in 1980?

Quote:
What I think happened is not that this generation is dummer
Epic.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:41 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Look up USA student rankings in education compared to the rest of the world and you'll find the decline.

Well, that I agree with, our education has declined. But is that the new generation's fault, or the previous generation's fault that we're not educating them as well?

Old 04-14-2012, 10:47 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,257,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Are you kidding me. I have never heard of any kid begging their parents to let them stay home lol My parents had 5 kids and they thought our education was just a part of raising us. That included paying for college. I feel the same way about raising my kids. Isn't education part of your responsibility to your kids.
I earned my BS in the first years of the 1950s and I remember my dad giving me a $20 bill one time when I was going back to school after Thanksgiving one year. I had to work summers and part time during the school year but managed fine. it is not nearly so easy for the kids today to make enough money like that.

I don't consider those of today very close to those of my day but I heard one on tv last night talking about going to school in New York state and buying just enough gasoline to get him to his home state when going to visit family. He said he saved about 80 cents a gallon by doing that. That kid was no dummy.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:06 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,257,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Well, that I agree with, our education has declined. But is that the new generation's fault, or the previous generation's fault that we're not educating them as well?
My wife retired from teaching last spring after 39 years of doing it. She does substitute occasionally and really sees a pile of difference in the students of today and those of the early 70s when she started. She talked about that all the way through and is now getting the kids from her students of the 80s.

I taught from 1958 - 1986 and saw real decline in the kids or the schools preparing them. I always blamed most of the problems on those who were so desirous of taking control of the schools from the hands of the administrations and giving it to parents and today kids themselves.

There is a huge difference in the work ethic of kids and in the early 50s when I went to college. In fact, my sons continually complain about that ethic in the younger ones who work where they do and they are 31 and 27. They hate to have to help those kids of 20 to 21 learn the job since they just don't want to do it, only draw the check.

Maybe much of the problem these days is that too many of the teachers are doing what they do for a pay check and don't really give a damn about helping kids. That is the main reason my wife got out when she did. She just couldn't stand to be around that kind of teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies