Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 12:39 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,184,594 times

Advertisements

Most of the union people I ever met were hard working and married with kids. Most didn't talk politics; they talked work, vacation, and family. The all-white union shops were small shops that made a specialty product. I never met a union member was as racist and hateful a Archie Bunker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 02:32 PM

562 posts, read 986,207 times
Chicago is only liberal because its a big city on a body of water which seem to be two of the requirements of encouraging "new thought and behavior". Chicago is NOT liberal because of its administration, but I won't speak for that whole region.

Downstate on the I-74 corridor I'd call most it more centerist. We have all types in Peoria and Knox county was pretty democrat but there were lots of angry evangelicals in Galesburg which I believe has 52 churches. People are way more tame in Peoria, the conservative areas tend to be the satellite towns that aren't part of the city proper. Religion doesn't play a huge part in people's identification here like it does in the south but you will find lots of people who are still very religious. My experience has found me around many dedicated Catholics but many of them are transplants from Chicago.

Imo, religion as a dimension of politics makes for an interesting conversation especially based on religious demographics of the state.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:01 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,869,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Most of the union people I ever met were hard working and married with kids. Most didn't talk politics; they talked work, vacation, and family. The all-white union shops were small shops that made a specialty product. I never met a union member was as racist and hateful a Archie Bunker.
Archie Bunker was not hateful. He was ignorant and he pretty much was representative of many blue collar types of those days. They are not racist because they hate anybody. They are not going to join the klan and burn crosses. They are racist because they are stupid and don't know any better. I know because I have more than one in my own family.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:01 PM

I did not watch Archie Bunker because I thought he was mean spirited and racist. I watched Carroll O'conner in other works and think he was a great actor. I did not like the Archie character or its message.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:14 AM

Peoria is a bit different. It's the oldest in the state, and the largest on the Illinois River - which is the largest and longest river in the state, and it divides the state. Peoria churches are a bit like Chicago. There is plenty to go around and it generously represents nearly every interest in the world including the not so well known.

There are many social groups that represent every type of interest, too. Religion plays a different role in Peoria than it does in other cities. As an example the churches come together as a group for certain activities, but not all, whereas some of the social groups, which may be very religious internally, host very large annual functions that are non-religious. Santa Clause Parade, Annual tree lighting and Community Sing, St. Patrick's Day Parade. Oktoberfest, pancake breakfast and quilt show at the regional state fair. Annual Juried Art Fair, 4K race, etc..

Politically Peoria, I think, is more balanced than radical due to its history. And it is probably more conservative due to the number of large businesses scattered throughout the city and county. Peoria is more STEM than sports. It offers most every type of sport that is even remotely popular, but it is not a sports driven town in the sense that Chicago is. Enthusiasm for sports is tempered by the weather and age group.. Not all are willing to slog over ice and snow packed hills in sub-zero temperatures to drink beer with their pals and watch sports.

Peoria also has very green and very large parks that can accommodate every type of activity from stargazing to kites and model airplanes, to sports and reunions, to animals and kids, marina with docks, live theatre, amphitheater, hiking, and more. No other city park in the seven county area offers as much for families. One of more interesting aspects of this park district is that anyone can teach and get paid for it.

Knox County is not included in the Peoria Metro Area. From what little time I spent there it does not seem to be anything like Peoria. Peoria's sister-city is Bloomington. When the only tv station in B-N went dark, a Peoria station bought it. The station has been providing news, weather, sports, programming, and a daily B-N segment every since. Peoria business is expanding to B-N, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoness View Post
Chicago is only liberal because its a big city on a body of water which seem to be two of the requirements of encouraging "new thought and behavior". Chicago is NOT liberal because of its administration, but I won't speak for that whole region.

Downstate on the I-74 corridor I'd call most it more centerist. We have all types in Peoria and Knox county was pretty democrat but there were lots of angry evangelicals in Galesburg which I believe has 52 churches. People are way more tame in Peoria, the conservative areas tend to be the satellite towns that aren't part of the city proper. Religion doesn't play a huge part in people's identification here like it does in the south but you will find lots of people who are still very religious. My experience has found me around many dedicated Catholics but many of them are transplants from Chicago.

Imo, religion as a dimension of politics makes for an interesting conversation especially based on religious demographics of the state.

Last edited by linicx; 01-01-2013 at 01:32 AM..

Old 01-01-2013, 04:32 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,224,659 times
[quote=debbie at bouontiful;27525066]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Sorry but there is too much "short hand" involved with saying "fiscally liberal" -- what the heck does that mean?

for your whole post. I'd love to move back to IL but with there fiscal problems, I don't think so!
Someone is going to have to pay to keep Chicago up and going and it will be those country folks.
Not at all. My mom and dad lived near Lawrenceville, they moved there from Chicago, and their taxes were so low it was unreal.

//www.city-data.com/city/Lawren...-Illinois.html

Lawrenceville Illinois

Old 01-01-2013, 05:24 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,164,534 times
Illinois currently has no methods for "sharing" revenues from local property taxes so folks in someplace like Lawrenceville don't see any of the funds they pay to the county / city / schools / fire protection district / forest preserve get sent to Chicago. Of course income and sales taxes are sent to Springfield and then sent out to the various parts of the state. It is already true that Chicago gobbles up more than its fair share of such taxes. The "temporary" 33%+ boost to income taxes is almost certain to remain in place permanently and likely to be increases. There have already been proposals that would see an even greater shift of tax burden to downstate. Hold on to your wallets during the upcoming legislative session!

Old 01-01-2013, 09:39 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,869,899 times
Quote:
Illinois currently has no methods for "sharing" revenues from local property taxes so folks in someplace like Lawrenceville don't see any of the funds they pay to the county / city / schools / fire protection district / forest preserve get sent to Chicago. Of course income and sales taxes are sent to Springfield and then sent out to the various parts of the state. It is already true that Chicago gobbles up more than its fair share of such taxes. The "temporary" 33%+ boost to income taxes is almost certain to remain in place permanently and likely to be increases. There have already been proposals that would see an even greater shift of tax burden to downstate. Hold on to your wallets during the upcoming legislative session!
Chicago actually has less clout in the state than it used to have. I remember when everybody served by Comm Ed had to pay Chicago's "franchise fee" on bills even if they did not live in Chicago and their city had no such fee of its own. But that finally got fixed.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:40 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,224,659 times
Quote:
I sort of found the post that I replied to kind of funny. Person was thinking that when a big city has financial difficulties, they just switch on the vacuum cleaner and suck money from other cities in the state.
Well, in a way they do, through property or state sales revenues {taxes} but not to the degree that some people think they do. Usually, or normally, property taxes are paid to a county, and surely the state sucks some of those tax dollars.

I do believe that when my mom and dad got their property tax bills, it stated where each percent of every dollar went, or it gave the breakdown of how property taxes were spent.

When Illinois raised sales taxes, oh how did my dad screamed about Daley in Chicago sucking up from the people! He too thought the reason for sales tax increases meant it was going to Chicago. Too funny.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:18 AM

219 posts, read 453,876 times
The Chicagoland are tends to be the most liberal area in the state due to it's population size. However, some of the Chi-burbs are more conservative, for the rest of the state Illinois could be labeled as a "swing state" with the areas of {Champaign, Peoria, Quad Cities) predominantly liberal and areas south of the I-74 corridor tending to be more conservative. Rockford is about in the middle could be liberal or conservative area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies