Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should they get Compensation
Yes 13 39.39%
No 20 60.61%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 11:38 AM

219 posts, read 922,503 times

Advertisements

The fact that's these people against compensation refuse to acknowledge is that it was the local government who lead the damn massacre:

It was the police and local militia who forced the black residents to march out of the city. It was the local police department who dropped f***ing bombs from an airplane onto Greenwood. Or how about the fact that NOT ONE white person was arrested from the massacre that left hundreds dead. Admit that it was the act of Tulsa's white population and it's local government who lead this attack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 03:39 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
I read about the Tulsa riots, and it wasn't the result of any direct government policy. The Sheriff protected the accused man from being lynched by extreme force in the face of thousands of rioters, and charges were later dropped against that man. The state called in the national guard, and protected the armory from rioters who were seeking arms. The Fire departments were called out, but were turned away by the rioters.

As for the deaths, the only official record of the deaths of the incident, shows 36 total deaths, 26 blacks and 10 whites.

In my view, the only thing that can really be said against the local government, would be that no rioters were arrested afterwards. Which you can certainly blame the police for, but that wasn't policy, that was the police chief, who was fired as a result of the riots, because he didn't do his job.

As for compensation, supposedly they gave out scholarships to the descendants of survivors and created a memorial. What else do you want? Almost all of the living survivors were nothing but children during the riots. What is it that they "deserve"?

Old 04-21-2012, 07:31 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I dont remember any people getting compensation for the LA rodney king riots, so i dont think anyone should get it in this case either.
No authority figure rioted in the "Rodney King Riots" in Los Angeles CA "There wasn't one "riot participant" that used automatic weapons during the roit ( I don't see any comparison between the two "riots") , airplanes weren't used to drop bombs on houses " do you see any comparison in the two vastly different riots" well do you?

Old 04-21-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
They are of course free to go after those they caught harming them for compensation, but that would not be the government and tax payer in general.

The Rodney King riots had all these people who didn't mostly know about King grabbing loot.
Most would say Rodney who?
God bless those with the guns and such who guarded their property and scared off the criminals looting.
Lots of racists went after all non-black businesses and people in cars. Those criminals and their interviews on TV shocked Americans who went right out and bought the most guns possible for years to come.

You'll never see a riot survive in a suburb in California, there would be dead rioters everywhere if they went into homes after people and their stuff IMO.

You are naive the "LAPD" sealed off the (Suburban Area's" of Los Angeles
from the "Inner City" because a lot of inner city folks have guns to.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
Nope.If they get compensation all the victims of the flash mobs should get compensation as well.
Actually I would like to see that , but good luck with that AA teens don't get allowances.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Compensation from whom? Certainly not the state of OK, they didn't riot did they? If he wants compensation from the rioters then he should sue them.
Yes the "state" of Oklahoma allowed the "riots to go on" without stepping in , and when they did they arrested the AA.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:44 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
I want with Yes, but need to elaborate. If the perpetrators of these crimes are still alive, and if they have been charged and prosecuted, they should have to pay restitution to their victims. The same as with the racial riot after Rodney King, the perpetrators should be arrested, tried and made to pay for the damage done. The same with the racist idiots involved with the current round of "flash mobs". That is part of justice.

IF you mean should the current generation of taxpayers provide restitution....not just no, but F**k no.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:46 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
I take exception to the quote in the OP. The Tulsa race riots are not a secret to anyone who paid attention in school. I lived in Tulsa for a few years and the people around there are quite familiar. The article is blowing it out of proportion.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I don;t know what school some people go to I went to a mediocre one in the DC suburbs and the Tulsa Riots were mentioned in our books.

I believe there were quite a few race riot in the post World War 1 era, did the victims in the other cases get compensation? Also who would be doing the compensating? The families of the rioters?
I went to TULSA CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL and it wasn't....

Old 04-21-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
What reasons should they? Does the OP believe everyone should get monetary compensation for every "unjust" occurence they manage to survive?

Why place a monetary value on it?
The family of Nicole got one from OJ didn'y they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies