Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 12:42 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
That’s were you are wrong. You don’t volunteer taxes you pay taxes. I don’t think a system where the government uses donations is viable.
Spending Buffett's tax money isn't at all viable so long as he can keep from paying his.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 12:44 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Ask your niece if voluntary tax contibutions are a good solution for balancing the budget.
Maybe you should tell the little girl that Buffett doesn't really pay taxes as long as he can afford lawyers to fight paying them. The Buffett Rule is an outstanding political talking point but when does Obama manage to see that his buddy doesn't really pay taxes?

Old 04-15-2012, 12:45 PM

933 posts, read 1,533,618 times
"Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money." - George Carlin

Old 04-15-2012, 05:21 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Your statement shows why there probably will never be comprehensive tax reform anytime soon. There are clearly problems with our tax system and almost half of the population has been brainwashed by rightwing talking points that puts the individual before the common good. To start any conversation/negotiation off with requesting people to “first offer the government extra money” is asinine.

I think you should get your 7 year old niece to enlighten you prior to you discussing something you’re way off on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
I pay taxes but your crowd VOLUNTEERS OTHERS to pay MORE taxes WITHOUT FIRST offering the government EXTRA money from THEIR portion.

If you don't understand the difference then maybe I can get my 7 year old niece to explain it to you...

Old 04-15-2012, 05:27 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
I meant is not viable in my post. But I believe the Buffet rule should only be the beginning. There needs to be much more change to fix the system. I listed what we should state with below.

Loop wholes need to be eliminated
Those who make more should pay more
Deductions should be reduced
Investment income needs to be taxed at the normal rate
If there’s a conflict going on a war tax needs to be collected to pay for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Spending Buffett's tax money isn't at all viable so long as he can keep from paying his.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:22 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Most upstanding people have and hold principles because those principles actually produce something. The Buffet Rule doesn't produce anything other an a golden opportunity for Democrats to declare that they've identified the very first "principle" they've ever adopted in the entire history of the Democratic Party. Since they've embarked on virginal territory, they think everyone should celebrate. That's all this is about.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:49 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Oh yeah, increasing revenue 4.7 billion dollars a year is chump change. Hell, I have enough for 3-4 years in my little piggy bank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
It's a step in the right direction to get the budget balanced and to pay down the debt. Isn't that what the right wing goons keep whining about?
The GOP has made it clear they want nothing but to obstruct progress and keep spending us into oblivion. They had their party under W with the free for all to the rich, it's time to grow up and start acting like responsible adults again.
you guys still dont understand that the revenue that is calculated to be generated by the buffet tax is smoke and mirrors as it does not take into account the changes in investment behavior by the very people that the buffet tax is supposed to affect. they will make changes to their investment portfolios to legally avoid paying the increased taxes, and thus the government wont get a dime.

add to that the fact that obama wants to take that calculated revenue and invest it(read give the money away on foolish programs) green energy programs, which means that money, which wont exist, is already spent.

as i have said many times, the buffet rule is feel good legislation by the democrats so they can "prove" to the stupid people that they have their best interests at heart, even though they dont.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:16 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you guys still dont understand that the revenue that is calculated to be generated by the buffet tax is smoke and mirrors as it does not take into account the changes in investment behavior by the very people that the buffet tax is supposed to affect. they will make changes to their investment portfolios to legally avoid paying the increased taxes, and thus the government wont get a dime.

add to that the fact that obama wants to take that calculated revenue and invest it(read give the money away on foolish programs) green energy programs, which means that money, which wont exist, is already spent.

as i have said many times, the buffet rule is feel good legislation by the democrats so they can "prove" to the stupid people that they have their best interests at heart, even though they dont.
Exactly right. I've said this several times, and it just doesn't sink in to the DemWits. Obama said it, so it must be true!

Old 04-15-2012, 07:37 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
When Buffet pays his own taxes , then we can talk
Although I don't support the "Buffett Rule" you should get your facts straight. Warren Buffett doesn't owe federal income taxes. Berkshire Hathaway, the company for which he is the president and CEO, apparently owes the Feds a lot of money. But this money has legitimately been in dispute for a long time.

Large companies are often behind on tax payments because of disagreements over tax code. It is not simply Berkshire Hathaway refusing to pay taxes owed ala Wesley Snipes.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:12 PM

57,281 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I meant is not viable in my post. But I believe the Buffet rule should only be the beginning. There needs to be much more change to fix the system. I listed what we should state with below.

Loop wholes need to be eliminated
Those who make more should pay more
Deductions should be reduced
Investment income needs to be taxed at the normal rate
If there’s a conflict going on a war tax needs to be collected to pay for it
Nicely stated, much more needs to happen, this is just one small step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies