Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 05:05 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,192,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
You should ask the three new lottery winners if they pay less taxes....
Yup, or offer to trade tax bills with a rich person...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 05:06 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,726,771 times
The Rich Are Different from You and Me. They Pay Fewer Taxes.

These lies are really getting worn out. No, they don't pay fewer taxes. They pay more taxes. Do a little research before posting these silly lies.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:15 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,277,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
No wonder the people with money and influence don't feel connected to the rest of the population. It's as if they live in a foreign country at the top of the world, like their own private Switzerland, at heights so rarified they can't imagine life down below. Here's the article.

The Rich Are Different From You and Me - They Pay Fewer Taxes
This is actually stupid and more class warfare BS.

#1 First they talk about corporate taxes being at low. Well duh, this is a near depression and they are writing off past and current losses against income they greatly reduce taxable income.
Then they can write off wages and the cost of doing business.
There are lots of taxes paid on all wages.

#2 The top 5% pay most of the taxes in this country.

#3 The bottom half pay none or are tax takers.

I think your best course of action would to improve your own lower status in life rather than be envious of others, especially those that can do.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:42 PM

867 posts, read 498,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
No wonder the people with money and influence don't feel connected to the rest of the population. It's as if they live in a foreign country at the top of the world, like their own private Switzerland, at heights so rarified they can't imagine life down below. Here's the article.

The Rich Are Different From You and Me - They Pay Fewer Taxes
Fewer taxes????

Old 04-14-2012, 05:54 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,648,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I don't know. I do know that 47% do not pay any federal income tax, at least according to that noted liberal news organization CNN:

47% of households owe no tax - and their ranks are growing - Sep. 30, 2009

So when we say the rich don't pay taxes or as much in taxes, we need to put things in perspective. A very large percentage of our population doesn't pay any at all.

While it is very true that 47% of households pay no income tax, you need to not look at it as everyone of those "households" as out on some joyride. For instance, my 20 year old daughter, a college student, is one of those 47%. She made just under $6,000 this year. I forget the exact figure but it is something like up to $5800 is tax exempt. So she had federal income taxes taken out of her paycheck and it was all returned when she filed. She still paid SS and Medicare. Have not fear though--her mother paid an effective 25% tax rate.

My high school son, who earned $3,000 this year, got all his federal tax returned too. There are elderly people who bring in under $5800 and they pay no tax.

Then you have those who do work but don't make much and have dependents. You will see them getting the earned income credit.

This is what emcompasses that 47%. To see that percentage rise just speaks to the poor wages and economic issues facing the working poor.

I'd really rather see all the loopholes closed for writing off things and then to see every working person (including my kids who make very little money) pay a certain percentage.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:59 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,870,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Demonizing the rich is one of the basic distraction tactics for Obama. He does not want people to look at his failing Presidency so he distracts their attention. Same goes for racial tensions they create. This divides and angers the black race which causes a diversion of attention from Obama's failed policies.
Obama doesn't have to demonize the rich. They do that themselves. I'm sitting here working on our taxes and realizing that my tax rate is double that of Romney. It's disgusting the Republicans continue to defend that fact. It's even more disgusting the Reps continue to defend an economy in which wages are stagnant for all but the very top percentiles.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:02 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That's a very small slice of the rich. Most people Americans would consider rich pay more in taxes both in absolute dollar amounts as well as in percentage of income.

Buffett Rule: Millionaires' effective tax rates top most - Apr. 12, 2012
Correct.
I am some 1%er, but I pay the top tier of taxes and no 'loopholes' to get me out of it.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:04 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Obama doesn't have to demonize the rich. They do that themselves. I'm sitting here working on our taxes and realizing that my tax rate is double that of Romney. It's disgusting the Republicans continue to defend that fact. It's even more disgusting the Reps continue to defend an economy in which wages are stagnant for all but the very top percentiles.
Yoo hoo! Genius! Raising income tax will not help when the reason he pays so little in taxes are the rules regarding income tax and the fact that many rich people don't have high amounts of ordinary income.

It's no wonder so many people have no money when they don't have the first clue about it. Don't worry...the media will continue to spoon-feed you whatever information they like with just the right slant to cheeze you off.

And by the way, what kind of weirdo thinks someone is a demon for not paying taxes in a law-abiding manner? Mature attitude.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:06 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,870,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
This is actually stupid and more class warfare BS.

#1 First they talk about corporate taxes being at low. Well duh, this is a near depression and they are writing off past and current losses against income they greatly reduce taxable income.
Then they can write off wages and the cost of doing business.
There are lots of taxes paid on all wages.

#2 The top 5% pay most of the taxes in this country.

#3 The bottom half pay none or are tax takers.

I think your best course of action would to improve your own lower status in life rather than be envious of others, especially those that can do.
1. You really need to go look up the way corporations cook the books so they turn gains into loses.

2. The top percent earns most of the money in the country. They frequently do so by forcing the working class to accept wages and pay cuts while funneling outrageous sums into the very top. So CEO Slimeball runs a company into the ground and then walks away with millions while workers get laid off. Then who does CEO Slimeball blame? The local government employee earning a fraction of his wages.

3. The bottom half are frequently underpaid workers who help make sure CEO Slimeball's company can function properly.

I think your best course of action would be to stop defending the greed of the very top who do nothing but attempt to turn this country into a horrifying return to worst excesses of Victorian England.

FYI, my combined household income was nearly 200k least including capital gains. But I'm sick of the really rich and their ever insane greed. You should be too.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
it was tax planning then its tax planning now.
but your OP is very funny
i started out very poor. most americans dont know, not even AA, what that is. i'm not there now.
here is what i found out when i crossed the magical line where people say u r rich
when u have slain the dragon
the village does not in fact turn out to cheer
and the beautiful princess does not in fact fall in love with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies